Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think its catan that allows you to use the dice game with the original game, am I wrong? is it another game?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaboy Green
United States
livonia
Michigan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
i thought it was ticket to ride dice that expanded the game?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe Skaboy is correct. To my knowledge the Catan dice game has always been a stand-alone, whereas Ticket to Ride does have a "Dice Expansion".
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
yep your right, thats it, you can use dice rather than cards in ticket to ride.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Ciscell
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my game, Atlantis Rising! :)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bmwrider wrote:
yep your right, thats it, you can use dice rather than cards in ticket to ride.


That said, you could probably figure out a way to use the dice to play Settlers of Catan...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gciscell wrote:
bmwrider wrote:
yep your right, thats it, you can use dice rather than cards in ticket to ride.


That said, you could probably figure out a way to use the dice to play Settlers of Catan...


I wonder if anyone has done that, I don't own the dice game so I can't try it
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Ciscell
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my game, Atlantis Rising! :)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bmwrider wrote:
I wonder if anyone has done that, I don't own the dice game so I can't try it


Well, it is basically just 6 dice, each with each having the same six images, one on each of the six sides of the die: Wheat, Sheep, Brick, Wood, Ore, and Gold.

You could just match them up to a number on a regular die (well, six regular dice) if you wanted to mess around with using them for Settlers:

1 Wheat
2 Sheep
3 Brick
4 Wood
5 Ore
6 Gold

If that helps. Also, you might consider just picking it up - it's a pretty fun little filler game! Way better than the Settlers card game, IMO.

Galen
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heiko Günther
Germany
Saarbrücken
Saarland
flag msg tools
designer
Coming soon: Peak Oil!
badge
I spent 100 GG so you can read this.
Avatar
Here are a few ideas to use the dice in regular Catan:

- Almshouse: Roll one along with the regular dice. Each player that does not harvest anything regularly this turn instead receives what is rolled on it. Might be good for beginners or players with a low frustration tolerance.

- Casino: The bank offers a 1:1 trade. You pay 1 resource, roll a ctdg die and receive this in return. Limited to once per turn. Alternatively, only gold may be exchanged for a die roll. Results of gold always mean 'nothing'.

- Caravans: Place a number chip on the desert. If this number is rolled, each player with settlements (cities) bordering on the desert receives 1 (2) ctdg die, rolls it and collects these resources.

- If playing with cities an knights expansion, the trading specialization might allow to roll ctdg dice and earn that many ressources.

- Trade Centers: If playing with cities an knights expansion, if Metropols harvest, additionally roll 1 ctdg die and gain the result as well.

- Robber Baron: When a 7 is rolled, you may move the robber back to the desert, and roll 1 ctdg die. Each player must give you 1 of is resource, if able.

- Roaming Knights: If playing with cities an knights expansion, roll two packs of three ctdg dice each and set aside. To build or upgrade a knight, you need to pay what the three faces of one of these packs show instead of the regular costs, then reroll. May be used for any prices really.

To name a few. Almshouse and Casino might be good to reduce rage fits, as they might reduce the perceived bad luck. Roaming Knights might be very interesting. I did not try any of these, btw.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Benson
United States
REDMOND
OR
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lee elektrik wrote:
Here are a few ideas to use the dice in regular Catan:

- Almshouse: Roll one along with the regular dice. Each player that does not harvest anything regularly this turn instead receives what is rolled on it. Might be good for beginners or players with a low frustration tolerance.

- Casino: The bank offers a 1:1 trade. You pay 1 resource, roll a ctdg die and receive this in return. Limited to once per turn. Alternatively, only gold may be exchanged for a die roll. Results of gold always mean 'nothing'.

- Caravans: Place a number chip on the desert. If this number is rolled, each player with settlements (cities) bordering on the desert receives 1 (2) ctdg die, rolls it and collects these resources.

- If playing with cities an knights expansion, the trading specialization might allow to roll ctdg dice and earn that many ressources.

- Trade Centers: If playing with cities an knights expansion, if Metropols harvest, additionally roll 1 ctdg die and gain the result as well.

- Robber Baron: When a 7 is rolled, you may move the robber back to the desert, and roll 1 ctdg die. Each player must give you 1 of is resource, if able.

- Roaming Knights: If playing with cities an knights expansion, roll two packs of three ctdg dice each and set aside. To build or upgrade a knight, you need to pay what the three faces of one of these packs show instead of the regular costs, then reroll. May be used for any prices really.

To name a few. Almshouse and Casino might be good to reduce rage fits, as they might reduce the perceived bad luck. Roaming Knights might be very interesting. I did not try any of these, btw.


I like this. My family and I have played if you roll and get no resource then you get a gold coin and you can buy resources with the gold coins, this may be fun to try instead, if you don't get a resource maybe you get a token and if you don't get a resource again, two times in a row, you roll a die and get that resource. Would be a fun variant.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.