Descent: Journeys in the Dark» Forums » General

Subject: citadel paints for our descent figures - any alternatives? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kacper Sobczyński
Poland
flag msg tools
Hi everyone,
I've recently bought descent and am now thinking of painting all the figures. Here on the bgg, I've found the painting scheme which describes in detail which paint to use for each monster. The thing is that all the paints are citadel paints. I've got quite a collection of other paints as I used to paint military miniatures. Does anybody know if there is any way to convert citadel paints into other manufacturers' (e.g. pactra or most popular humbrol and revell)?
First of all they are much cheaper and easily available in my local modelling shop (I could buy them one by one - via internet the shipping costs would excess the cost of a single paint), and probably, some of the colours I've got are probably direct equivalents of citadels (they just don't have such poetic names - skull white, vomit brown).
Would be grateful if anyone knows how to replace the citadels with 'normal paints'.
Best regards
Kacper

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://silicon-dragons.com/ has a tool to match individual colors and paint lines. I have not used it much in my own painting, but it seems to work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kacper Sobczyński
Poland
flag msg tools
Thanks pal. That's exactly what I'm looking for. Unfortunately, it seems that I'm doomed for using citadels (there are either no exact matches or several paints mixed together are required).
BTW You guys on the BGG are absolutely incredible. I can't start waiting before I get the answer.
Thanks again,
Cheers
Kacper

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:
I've found the painting scheme which describes in detail which paint to use for each monster.

I'm not sure, but if you're referring to my painting scheme, I am happy to inform you there's an update coming up with all the heroes as well...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kacper Sobczyński
Poland
flag msg tools
Hi,
Actually I am. It's great work and wonderful help. I was just going to ask you for any suggestions as to how to paint the heroes This site IS incredible. You people can read in thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:
You people can read in thoughts

Yeah. Well. It's a cultist thing... goo

Anyway: I have made a scheme for the twelve heroes that are also in Runewars. I put those on six pieces of paper. It was only when I started preparations for the monsters that I got the idea to use a spreadsheet.

Thats why the spreadsheet only contains the monsters. Coincidently I added the twelve heroes to the spreadsheet some hours before I read your post. In the next couple of days I hope to find time to finish the other ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kacper Sobczyński
Poland
flag msg tools
Great. I'm waiting impatiently. Especially so, that I've been trying to paint my runebound figures but always felt discouraged by lack of ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kacek wrote:
Great. I'm waiting impatiently. Especially so, that I've been trying to paint my runebound figures but always felt discouraged by lack of ideas.

I've used Humbrol paints which have worked out reasonably well (for play, they aren't display quality). I actually enjoy the creation of the paint scheme rather than copying other schemes, though I do try and match the heroes up to their cards as best I can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:
though I do try and match the heroes up to their cards as best I can.

That was also my aim, but since in most cases only parts of the figures are depicted, there's lots of room for interpretation/creativity...

My spreadsheet is ofcourse a tool, not a bible. You can customize it anyway you like. Then again, I imagine that people who want to paint their descent figures ASAP, will appreciate some groundwork. After all, the spreadsheet is mostly intended to speed things up a little.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
kacek wrote:
Thanks pal. That's exactly what I'm looking for. Unfortunately, it seems that I'm doomed for using citadels (there are either no exact matches or several paints mixed together are required).

I'm sure no one would object if Red Scorpion's cape on your figure was a shade or two darker than the spreadsheet suggests using Citadel paints. Red is red, after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn G.
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use crappy walmart paint that costs 97 cents a tube and it works just fine. The only difference is that the cheap paint is thicker.. higher in pigment... so you have to mix it with water to get the right consistency. Make sure you use water based acrylic paint... any type will do. Don't worry about matching exact tones, just matching the general color types will give you the same contrasts you find attractive... or a close enough replica to the models picture that no one will care.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

You always have to dilute your paint. That goes for the Citadel paint as well. I'm currently watching "The Complete Guide to Miniature Painting". You'll never look at the colour red in the same way after that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kacper Sobczyński
Poland
flag msg tools
[q="Jan Tuijp"]
Quote:
I've found the painting scheme which describes in detail which paint to use for each monster.

Quote:
I'm not sure, but if you're referring to my painting scheme, I am happy to inform you there's an update coming up with all the heroes as well...

And how's it progressing? I can't wait to see how you have managed to match various paints to specific characters. Especially that my Runebound figures are still waiting to be painted too...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm afraid there has been some delay. I was recovering from a minor operation, but something went wrong... so now I'm recovering from the not so minor complication of that operation (infection). I'm afraid it will be a while before I'll be able to complete the scheme...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Finally finished the spreadsheet: all the monsters and heroes of Journey in the Dark and Well of Darkness.

I've uploaded it to the file section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.