Tim K
Australia
Colonel Light Gardens
SA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I want to research what game I might be interested in buying/playing I come to BGG. If I want a book to read I aimlessly walk around the library or book store in the hope that I'll find a book that I might be interested in reading.

Is there an equivalent site to BGG for books where I could do a bit of research before I go in search of a good book to read?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
This article lists a few good book search websites:

http://searchenginewatch.com/2159661
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neg Lected
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
try http://www.goodreads.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
neglected88 wrote:

Came in here to say this.

Stay far far away from living social visual bookshelf, or any living social site. They are poorly managed, and clearly don't care one way or another about the service they are offering. It's obvious they are trying to either mine data from their users or get their users to use other services they offer. The site has been functioning sporadically at best since December. I am very :angry: with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fantasticfiction.co.uk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Librarything.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://literarygeek.com

But it still doesn't exist yet, unfortunately.

EDIT: of the existing ones, I explored several and settled on goodreads. But I wish Aldie would hurry up and make literarygeek so I can switch over to it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Waggle, waggle
mbmbmbmbmb
neglected88 wrote:

Is this any good. I found several book lover sites recently, but they were all terribly clunky and poorly patronised.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
mbmbmbmbmb
You could just wait till the movie comes out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
msg tools
badge
I use goodreads too. It's done pretty well; has the same focus on user-generated content but is limited to adding books, writing reviews, and making their equivalent of geeklists. It's like if BGG was more focused on geekbuddies than on the general userbase; you have to go out of your way to see what non-friends are doing instead of vice versa. Their interface design is much better than BGG IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Kruger
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to frequent www.shelfari.com; however, I haven't been to that site for a while.

Log your books, what your are currently reading, what you want to read, read reviews, get suggestions from other readers, join 'guilds' or groups focused on a specific genre or author, etc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i suggest just posting a general question in the forums. tell everyone on BBG, "hey, i like these particular books . . . any suggestions based on what i like?" i did that a while back with something and got a ton of helpful answers. good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoe M
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
I wear my Halloween costume all year round!
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the recommendation for librarything.com.

Also, I just have to say that I hate the name literarygeek. I read a lot, but I am not a fan of literary fiction and I suspect the same goes for many boardgamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
We got bookwormgeek.com - but how do I get this going? Still trying to figure out the best way to launch new sites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
We got bookwormgeek.com - but how do I get this going? Still trying to figure out the best way to launch new sites.

I've got hundreds of books and a scanner once you want to start adding to the database.
Also a lot of cd's once musiclistenergeek is on board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ramsay Jackson
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.amazon.com/Player-Games-Iain-M-Banks/dp/031600540...

Don't worry about what to read, just read this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoe M
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
I wear my Halloween costume all year round!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay, I'm looking forward to bookwormgeek! (And that's a much better name.) No idea about how to launch a new site, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:

What? With a community like this? It'll be the most active booksite within days.

Now, I'll have to start scanning... bagbagbagbagbagdevil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
neglected88 wrote:

I'm on Goodreads as well. But I've started with BGG. So I want everything to be BGG.

I guess Goodreads is a good place to start. But it's slow (for me) and I hate all those pages with editions. Yes, a popular book wil have 63 different editions in 23 languages, but can't I just have one central page?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Games, games and more games!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also love a book equivalent of BGG - I've tried a couple but given up on them, as none are quite what I want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K
Australia
Colonel Light Gardens
SA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the main features that I could see using would be as follows. Let say I've just read a Stephen King novel that I really liked and that I might rate 9/10. How would I easily be able to find what are some of the best novels that he has written? I could just randomly grab another of his books but if other people had also rated Stephen King novels I could make a search under Stephen King novels and choose another one of his highly rated books. It's not a guarantee that I will like it but would still be of great assistance.

You could also do a search for the highest rated novels based on only selecting people who also rated the Stephen King novel a 9 or higher as theoretically they have a similar taste in books.

Do any of the suggested sites have these features?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree a BGG-type book site would be awesome.

I registered for goodreads and honestly I'm not a fan. The community is not what it's like here. I asked a question or two and never got even a single response, and I found the level/degree of discussion lacking.

Bookwormgeek sounds great Aldie!

EDIT:
"BWG"... certainly has a ring to it. This sounds very promising!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kerbster76 wrote:
One of the main features that I could see using would be as follows. Let say I've just read a Stephen King novel that I really liked and that I might rate 9/10. How would I easily be able to find what are some of the best novels that he has written? I could just randomly grab another of his books but if other people had also rated Stephen King novels I could make a search under Stephen King novels and choose another one of his highly rated books. It's not a guarantee that I will like it but would still be of great assistance.

You could also do a search for the highest rated novels based on only selecting people who also rated the Stephen King novel a 9 or higher as theoretically they have a similar taste in books.

Do any of the suggested sites have these features?

Actually Amazon.com does what you're asking about pretty well...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Koehn
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dysjunct wrote:
I use goodreads too.… It's like if BGG was more focused on geekbuddies than on the general userbase; you have to go out of your way to see what non-friends are doing instead of vice versa.

This might be a good thing, in my case. I just popped over to look at goodreads, and checked out their "Best Books Ever" list. The top 5 are four Twilight books, and one Harry Potter. I don't think I have much in common with their general user base.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Potato
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never actually used this resource to find a book, but I think it's an interesting idea: http://www.whatshouldireadnext.com/

Nate
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.