Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Peterson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I am concerned, Go For It! is the quintessential yuppie game. While not being a particularly deep playing experience, the game does offer some unique mechanics and a healthy dose of kitschy nostalgia. The artwork on the box pretty much says it all about this game.

The game itself basically works like this, each player is given a career ladder--which tells them their profession and salary. As the game progresses, players buy (and sell...and win) status cards, which are needed to recieve a promotion in your career at the end of the year. The object of the game is to aqcuire three (differently valued) status cards, and then survive a one year long (of game time) GO FOR IT! round.

It is a bit of a giggle to pretend to be working in the different careers--for example if your career is "sports," you find yourself working up from a Bench Warmer all the way to Team Owner, in "Acting" you move from understudy to Movie Star, in "music" you climb the ranks from instrument tuner, to Music teacher, to Band roadie, etc. all the way up to Superstar.

The board is a calendar, divided up into 52 spaces (weeks). There is one pawn, that everybody shares. As the dice are rolled, the pawn moves along the calendar, offering the active player the option to buy (or sell or win or whatever) status cards from the board or another player. Status cards are divided up into 4 categories: Goin' Places (trips like New York Weekend or Tahiti Beach Combing), Feelin' Good ('stuff' like hot tubs and jet skis), Wheels (cars), and House 'N Home (houses). Apparently, the game designers had a penchant for putting apostrophes next to the letter N (Goin', Feelin' and House 'N Home).

Once the pawn passes Labor Day, everybody takes stock of how many status cards they have and promotes (or demotes) themselves accordingly. They then recieve salaries and determine if anyone is ready to enter the final GO FOR IT! round (provided they have enough status cards). If someone does enter the final round, they have one more year to maintain or extend their lead (while everybody else does everything in their power to stop them). If they are successful, they have GONE FOR IT! and they win. If not, they pay a penalty (everybody takes one status card from the player) and the game continues.

Before I give my closing statement, I'd like to point out my favorite part of the game. At the outset, each player takes a 'birthday token'--which may be a party hat or a birthday cake or a gift--and places it on the board on the week of their birthday. If the pawn lands on that space, the other players have to give the Birthday boy/girl a present (a status card or money). I have never played a game before that incorporates birthdays into its mechanic. While not being earth shattering or ground-breaking or game-breaking, I think that's neat. Birthdays are fun.

All in all, this is a simple, random game filled with greed and materialism. If you like the 1980's or games with careers, calendars and birthdays...pick this one up--you'll be glad you WENT FOR IT!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for doing this review. When I was 12 I won this game as a prize for winning my town's Monopoly Championship, so this was truly a "remember-when" moment... I was never that into the game b/c it felt too materialistic to me, but, it was fun reading this and reminiscing about the mid-80s

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet! I was just thinking about this game today for some reason but couldn't remember the name. Finally I remembered and had to see if it was on the geek.

I am only fairly recently getting back into the hobby but when I was a kid (many many years ago), board games were popular with me and my family. It was all those "usual" games, but one year I did get Go For It and I believe my family still has it somewhere.

I actually loved this game a lot as a kid. It was easy to play, didn't take for ever, and buying the different items had a neat little collectable feel to it as some people thought certain cars or houses were cooler than other and would aim to get those.

Great review for this neat bit of nostalgia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
don kaltenbach
United States
Marblehead
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought this game at a goodwill store in ohio for $2.50.
All of the parts/cards are included, and everyting is in very good condition.
My wife and i will try it out when we have a "not to much thinking involved" game type time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.