Subject: GMT 50% promotion, which to get?? CC:A or CC:N rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chung Chit Hang
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i'm new to wargames. My usual opponent would be my gf
We like playing memoir 44 and twilight struggle together. When playing memoir she sometimes get confused with the abilities of the different terrans and units, so i would prefer a game that is not TOO complicated

if i'm to chose between C&C:A and C&C:N, which is better?
how would you compare the two?? it would be best if the game can end in around an hour...

for C&C:A, should i purchase the first expansion as well?

many mant thanks for your valuable advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j b Goodwin

Lynchburg
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What 50% promotion are you talking about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chung Chit Hang
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
facebook

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GMT had a promotion where you thumbed their FB page for a 50% off coupon...I think it's still current...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Crap... I already own all the games they have in stock... Just Barbarossa: Kiev to Rostov, 1941.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Schmit
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
C&C:A has more unit types than Memoir '44.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you read the Facebook site, it will give you the coupon code FB100050

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Diosi
Canada
Newcastle
Ontario
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know about the FB announcement but I haven't seen anything about the 50% off coupon. All that was posted was a note indicating that once 1,000 people 'liked' the new FB entry then something good would happen.

Does anybody have a link to this 50% announcement? It's not on their website.

Atraxrobustus wrote:
GMT had a promotion where you thumbed their FB page for a 50% off coupon...I think it's still current...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to have a FB account...then thumb their FB site...you're right though I don't think there's any mention on the GMT website

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Diosi
Canada
Newcastle
Ontario
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did the thumb thing yesterday (I was number 2xx) but no 50% off. I think this may be a red herring.

*Edit* Found the promotion. Can't link to it on FB but it does exist. A 50% one time discount to ANY size order valid until April 25th.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have said on a few occasions that I think Memoir has a lot to remember outside of the rules. See my thread here on the subject. There are also some other good games you might like to look at as well.
In Memoir with more and more expansions' the trying to remember what this terrain does gets harder and harder to remember. Any game that uses chits or blocks have unit information printed onto them and so you do not have to remember these particular stats making it easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Groot
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whatambush wrote:
I have said on a few occasions that I think Memoir has a lot to remember outside of the rules. See my thread here on the subject. There are also some other good games you might like to look at as well.
In Memoir with more and more expansions' the trying to remember what this terrain does gets harder and harder to remember. Any game that uses chits or blocks have unit information printed onto them and so you do not have to remember these particular stats making it easier.

But you still need a Terrain Effects Chart for the terrain. Just like a good reference table from BGG for all Memoir '44 terrain solves the memory problem. I like to use the compendium cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bdegroot wrote:
whatambush wrote:

But you still need a Terrain Effects Chart for the terrain. Just like a good reference table from BGG for all Memoir '44 terrain solves the memory problem. I like to use the compendium cards.

Let us compare Memoir to a similar game say Conflict of Heroes.

CoH has 9 terrain types, each with a movement cost and a cover cost.
That is 18 factors that you have to look up or remember.

Memoir has 11 Terrain types in the vanilla version. There are rules governing if you can move through or have to stop in the terrain, if you can attack after moving into that terrain type and how that terrain affects firing for infantry and armour. That is 4 different factors for each terrain type. 44 factors in all (without the special forces) compared to 18 in CoH and memoir is the easier game?

I know the player aids for memoir are good but for someone like me with a poor memory I do not want to spend the game looking at tables. 18 factors in CoH is probably my limit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chung Chit Hang
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
we are off the topic guys

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Groot
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
littlegorgor wrote:
if i'm to chose between C&C:A and C&C:N, which is better?
how would you compare the two?? it would be best if the game can end in around an hour...

for C&C:A, should i purchase the first expansion as well?

many mant thanks for your valuable advice.

To get back on topic...

I prefer the Napoleon theme over the Ancients theme, so I picked C&C:N. I played C&C:A a only few times, and C&C:N a only few times (so far), so I am no expert in either of those C&C games. Imo the style of play is targeted at the age of the theme. In Ancients you have to make sure you keep your front connected, and you try to arrange them so you can order a large number of units with your cards. You try to watch your formation. In Napoleonics you don't need to have a connected front line as much, but you pay more attention to the unit types and how to combine them. Other than that both games are based on the same system, have mostly the same kind of rules, same kind of components.

I think the way you should choose is one (or both) of two:
1. See which theme you (and your gaming partners) prefer to play. If your gf likes one period of history more than the other, get that game.
2. Get the rules from GMT for both games, see that the big part of it is the same for both games, read the special rules and compare those to see which style of play you'd prefer.

I think both games are more complicated than Memoir '44. You will have a lot more table lookups in vanilla C&C:A and C&C:N than in M44. I don't think C&C:A or C&C:N are difficult, but I would say M44 is the easiest of the three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Miller
United States
West Jefferson
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are more involved than Memoir. CC&A plays faster. They are both excellent games, but I prefer Napoleonics because of the theme and the card combinations add a bit more variety. There is plenty of replayability in both of the base games. Hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
This topic has been discussed in some detail here:

How about some qualitative comments comparing C&C:A and C&C:N..?

As I noted there, the games are similarly well made but I find the scenarios in Napoleonic the base set far outstrip those in the Ancients base set. Also, I find Napoleonic warfare generally more dynamic and the period more historically engaging, but that's my meta-game, personal bias.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilary Hartman
United States
GLENNALLEN
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Just your friendly, neighborhood game player and superhero!
mbmbmbmbmb
It should be noted that the 50% off (as I understand it) is only for the first 1000 people who "liked" their Facebook page? I'm not worried, as I was around 7xx myself, but there may be some of you who try and get the discount to no avail.

Take care,
Hil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Groot
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
puck4604 wrote:
It should be noted that the 50% off (as I understand it) is only for the first 1000 people who "liked" their Facebook page? I'm not worried, as I was around 7xx myself, but there may be some of you who try and get the discount to no avail.

Take care,
Hil

They have extended the offer beyond the first 1000. See the facebook posting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilary Hartman
United States
GLENNALLEN
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Just your friendly, neighborhood game player and superhero!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice to see that it has been extended another 24 hours!

Take care,
Hil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At my wife's insistence we picked up Ancients plus the first expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[Ponders... is it worth getting an otherwise pointless Facebook account just to 'like' GMT and get in on the sale?]

Nah... money's still tight. I'll just be patient and wait for the traditional Winter sale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lucey
United States
Ellington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally found their 'current' website. How many pages are they going to have ?

Figures its one that does not come up in a FB search. i think I thumbed up about 4 GMT pages before actually getting the correct link off the email.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Willcockson
United States
Woodstock
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have absolutely zero interest in getting a FB page, so I guess I'll have to pass on this one and wait for the winter 50% off sale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Scoobysnacks wrote:
Finally found their 'current' website. How many pages are they going to have ?

Figures its one that does not come up in a FB search. i think I thumbed up about 4 GMT pages before actually getting the correct link off the email.

I did the same thing. Almost freaked when I thought I had missed the offer. Had to click on the link in the newsletter to find it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.