Popular Tags: [View All]
wendigo song
United States
Claymont
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am relatively new to gaming and as such not familiar with a lot of terms. My fiance uses this game as a teaching tool and since a lot of her students are playing with the cards we wanted to protect them as best as possible. I read on this board that many people sleeve the cards. I was wondering exactly what sleeving the cards meant. I assume that means putting some sort of plastic bag over them like people do with baseball cards but I just figured I'd ask to be sure. Also, if that is the case where would I be able to buy sleeves for the deck and is there any special size the sleeves need to be? Lastly how does sleeving the cards effect an individual's ability to shuffle the deck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Wehneman
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
harlemsushi wrote:
I am relatively new to gaming and as such not familiar with a lot of terms. My fiance uses this game as a teaching tool and since a lot of her students are playing with the cards we wanted to protect them as best as possible. I read on this board that many people sleeve the cards. I was wondering exactly what sleeving the cards meant. I assume that means putting some sort of plastic bag over them like people do with baseball cards but I just figured I'd ask to be sure. Also, if that is the case where would I be able to buy sleeves for the deck and is there any special size the sleeves need to be? Lastly how does sleeving the cards effect an individual's ability to shuffle the deck?

Wendigo:

Sleeving means placing specialty sleeves over the cards. The two main manufacturers for such sleeves are Mayday Games and Fantasy Flight.

Mayday sleeves tend to be less expensive and thinner, while Fantasy Flight tends to be more expensive and thicker. I prefer Mayday sleeves on both counts, but others have different brand preferences.

As to shuffling, sleeving doesn't impair shuffling greatly. In fact, one of the benefits of sleeves is that you can "side shuffle", where you shove two piles together.

If you want to sleeve via Mayday Games sleeves, you'll need one pack of 100-sleeve Card Game sleeves (a specific size Mayday makes). There are 55 cards for Founding Fathers, and they are 89 mm by 63 mm. You'll have to do the math on size for Fantasy Flight, as I don't have their data in front of me.

- Neil Wehneman
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wendigo song
United States
Claymont
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neil,

Thank you for the response. I'll go to MayDay's site & see about ordering. Also, I wanted to ask if by chance you know off the top of your head if the cards from Founding Fathers & 1960: TMOTP are the same size. Because I have that game too and I might as well buy sleeves for both. Lastly, what exactly is a game lawyer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Grouch
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
harlemsushi wrote:
Neil,

Thank you for the response. I'll go to MayDay's site & see about ordering. Also, I wanted to ask if by chance you know off the top of your head if the cards from Founding Fathers & 1960: TMOTP are the same size. Because I have that game too and I might as well buy sleeves for both. Lastly, what exactly is a game lawyer?

Having a numbered pre-ordered edition, I sleeved my cards with Mayday pennies. No issues shuffling or handling. Worth the investment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Wehneman
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
harlemsushi wrote:
Neil,

My badge used to say "IP Lawyer", as I'm a lawyer who handles copyrights, trademarks, patents, etc..

I've recently begun bringing on more game designers, game publishers, and others in the gaming industry as clients, so I changed the badge to "Game Lawyer".

My website is www.boardgamelawyer.com.

- Neil Wehneman

P.S. Founding Fathers is one of my favorite games, so I obtained permission from the publisher and artist to use it in my banner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
landaras wrote:
so I changed the badge to "Game Lawyer".

And obviously not to be confused with "rules lawyer".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.