Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirk Andersen
United States
Athens
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
I think a dreamlands expansion to Mansions of Madness would be really interesting. You could have special dreamlands monsters (such as the gug and moonbeast) and special colorful tiles that represent a dreamlands place (such as a temple). Scenarios could start off in a real-world mansion and enter the dreamlands through some magical portal in a bedroom or something. Definitely something to think about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really care much about Dreamlands - I think it would be difficult to create in a board game like this without seeming a bit silly.

But where are my Deep Ones?

There is blatantly an Innsmouth big-box expansion in the works. I can sense it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Andersen
United States
Athens
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
I agree that an innsmouth expansion is probably what is next but I still think a dreamlands expansion (because of the dreamlands monsters) is inevitable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N S.
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
I don't really care much about Dreamlands - I think it would be difficult to create in a board game like this without seeming a bit silly.

There is blatantly an Innsmouth big-box expansion in the works. I can sense it...

:)

+1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Noahboa wrote:
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:

+1

+2

Although Insmouth CAMPAIGN sounds eeven better....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Acererak wrote:
Noahboa wrote:
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:

+1

+2

Although Insmouth CAMPAIGN sounds eeven better....

Nice!

I would like to see some more scenarios designed specifically for a single investigator though. I know some can be played with a single investigator, but I believe they were all designed with more in mind. Something that really creates a sense of isolation for a single player would be great.

Being able to create Shadow with a single investigator being hunted through a motel by Deep Ones and them fishy folk with the "look" would be awesome.

(Sorry for the thread highjack.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Branham
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
New Dia die Los Muertos. Lighter, sillier, and Stickers.
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife was not that thrilled with basic MoM. But Dreamlands would totally do it.

With just one request:
Zoogs. Sandi has a thing for terribly cute murderous creatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn G.
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The dreamlands never made for particularly horrifying tales.. but I think that was mostly because of all the fluffy cats and naked goddesses running around. It wouldn't take much to take things in a Freddy Krueger/ Twilight Zone direction.

As for Innsmouth, I think that is a given. Although you can only kill so many Deep Ones before you start craving something else. If there is one thing Innsmouth lacks, it is a variety of monsters. Sharks? Squid? Nah..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sirfuzzy wrote:
The dreamlands never made for particularly horrifying tales.. but I think that was mostly because of all the fluffy cats and naked goddesses running around. It wouldn't take much to take things in a Freddy Krueger/ Twilight Zone direction.

As for Innsmouth, I think that is a given. Although you can only kill so many Deep Ones before you start craving something else. If there is one thing Innsmouth lacks, it is a variety of monsters. Sharks? Squid? Nah..

But this game does work on the basis that only a limited number of monsters appear in any one scenario - that's one of the reasons I like it so much. You don't get lots of "random" monsters spawning in places where they don't make sense. In one mission you have a few zombies, in another cultists, in another you have mi-go. They aren't all mixed together.

On that basis, scenarios featuring only Deep Ones and their associates would be entirely in keeping with the game as-is, and would be really thematic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Mawson
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are lots of classic stories and classic Call of Cthulhu scenarios that lend their selves well to MoM.

Indeed the CoC scenario book from which the game takes it's name is a good start (though some would need more tinkering than others). Then there is the classic Haunted House with Walter Corbitt (ahem, not mentioning the version I did whistle ). Locations and stories, such as Dunwich, Kingsport, The Whisperer in the Darkness, The Thing on the Threshold, Herbert West: Reanimator, etc, etc.

Creature theme wise, Deep Ones (as already mentioned) ghouls, Dark Young, Serpent People, Thralls of Cthulhu (see Mansions of Madness CoC scenario book for examples), Byakhee, Dimensional Shamblers, Sand Dwellers (can you see pyramid/egyptian tile set and the Dark Pharoah), etc.

And campaign wise the potential is near limitless. Since the game has similarities to Descent then an obvious step would to adopt a similar model to Descent campaign expansions (Road to Legend & Sea of Blood) mechanics wise, which would eventually culminate in thwarting a Great Old One.

.....starting to frothe at the mouth now...time to take my thorazine and go back to my cell goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn G.
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
sirfuzzy wrote:

But this game does work on the basis that only a limited number of monsters appear in any one scenario - that's one of the reasons I like it so much. You don't get lots of "random" monsters spawning in places where they don't make sense. In one mission you have a few zombies, in another cultists, in another you have mi-go. They aren't all mixed together.

On that basis, scenarios featuring only Deep Ones and their associates would be entirely in keeping with the game as-is, and would be really thematic.

Very true. I suppose between hybrids and full fledged Deep Ones you could stretch it out quite a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.