B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We were playing one of the Classroom scenarios and at one point the room the active player is in locks up with a reserved LOCK card that the Keeper preps before the game starts.

Here's a rough map of the area in question (room names and actual orientations possibly changed to protect the innocent).

+-------------------+--------------------------+
| | |
| D |
| B O A |
| O |
| R |
| | |
+----DOOR-----------+--------------------------+
| |
| D
| C O
| O
| R
| |
+-------------------+

So the current investigator is in room "A", and the event causes the adjacent room to get a lock. An investigator is in room "B" and another is in room "C".

The intent seems to be that the door connecting A and B is locked up.
Who can work on the lock and from what positions?

"A" can clearly work on the lock.
"B" ???
"C" if this were a normal lock, could work on it. Is it a normal lock?

-=-=-=-

We ended up putting the lock ON THE DOOR between "A" and "B" and let players work on it from either side of the door.

Not sure if that's right, but it seemed to work.

It says that the ADJACENT room locks, the intent is clearly that the door itself between the two room locks.

How do you deal with the following situations?

1) An Investigator is IN the room that locks up.
2) An Investigator is one room away (through a door).

Example:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Happened to me as well.

Thematically, makes much more sense your solution and actualyl that´s what I did also.

By the rules, is clear that a Room with a Lock card affects EVERY door in the room, so the room will end up being Locked and the Investigator in it, in a rules limbo, since nowhere is addressed the posibility of an Investigator trying to exit a room with a Lock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about the guy IN the room, but the other two would both be able to do it, as per the rules:

"Lock cards are always resolved when an investigator attempts to enter the room, regardless of which door he uses."

Not very thematic - but thems the rules.

I would also allow the person IN the room to do it, at the cost of one movement, but that's not an official answer

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Locks are keyed to rooms, not doors, and affect any investigator attempting to enter the room. So A and C could work on the lock, B would have to leave the room first, then try to re-enter to work on it. Makes no sense thematically but them's the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
QBert80 wrote:
Locks are keyed to rooms, not doors, and affect any investigator attempting to enter the room. So A and C could work on the lock, B would have to leave the room first, then try to re-enter to work on it. Makes no sense thematically but them's the rules.

There is defintely no doubt how to work A and C based on the rules, and thinking about B a bit more I agree with you. By the strictest reading of the rules, what you say must be right.

The sealing of the room is supposed to represent the door slamming only on the investigator who activated the clue. So as you say, by the rules, B would be able to move off the space into either of the other rooms - you have to fudge the timing of the events (perhaps he moves and then the door slams behind him) to make it work thematically at a story level, but I think that's okay - and then he could try to re-enter the room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn G.
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the exact same situation in my game and made the same decision you did. The rules do not cover an investigator dealing with a lock for a room he is already inside. Putting it on the door and simply saying it was locked from both sides made it work within the situation quite well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.J.E. Hendriks
Netherlands
Arnhem
Gelderland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
"Lock cards are always resolved when an investigator attempts to enter the room, regardless of which door he uses."

Cheers.

Wouldn't the investigator locked in that room not simply be trying to ENTER the room outside of his room?

Every exit is an entrance, surely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Mawson
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or maybe he/she is just trapped until the others get it open? I think that is the way I would take it, it is possible to get into no win situations after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.