Mansions of Madness» Forums » Rules

Subject: Holy Water, the cross, and the door dilema rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe RN
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Holy water and cross = equipment (not ranged weapon) states "target a monster within the range of one and (insert skill check)"

Sister Mary in a room seperated by a door with a monster right on the other side of the door. Since the card is not an attack, not a ranged weapon, and not specific regarding line of sight does this mean that I can theoretically open the door and show the cross/sprinkle the holy water in the room and damage the monster (which makes sense to me) or is my character freakishly stupid and shows the cross/sprikles holy water on the door?

On this note I have another question. Keeper interupts my attack and plays a "decaying weapon" on my crowbar. The melee card that was played simply stated "deal 2 damage" not "weapon damage plus...". does this mean I even used my weapon (thus forcing me to discard) or do I have one more go with that weapon before I actually deal weapon damange? If this (and it didnt this time but I am just pondering this) caused me to discard the crowbar and I needed it to lift a manhole cover that was mission critical do I lose automatically (even if I hold off the keeper til we both lose)?

Also, must I always draw a combat card or can I attack with the damage points listed on the weapon? (I figure the former rather than the later but just clarifying)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Lundgren
Sweden
Göteborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hmmm Equipment used as Weapons, my assumption would be that line of sight rules are supposed to be obeyed. The wording of "range" doesn't that refer to the weapons rules about spaces and line of sight? Without checking I would say so, and then you cannot attack through the door. If line of sight was to be ignored it would have said "one space away" or something like that.

I assume "decaying weapon" is a Mythos Card, correct? If so then the keeper cannot play it in a middle of an attack. Either before or after action or movement, even if the wording is different in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buckley
United Kingdom
Abingdon
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Mythos cards are only played at beginning of investigator turn or after each action, not as interrupts.

You (well, Keeper) draws a combat card for each attack, you can't just use the weapon stats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules seem very clear on this subject:

"Many weapons and items require an investigator to be within a certain Range of a monster or another investigator..."

"...If there is a door in between the investigator and his target, then he is not considered to be in range of his target."

This would imply that you cannot count range to a target that is in a different room than you. It doesn't matter whether you are counting range for an attack or an item, it works the same.

Being able to use cross and holy water on a monster in another room would allow you to interact with the monster without subjecting yourself to a horror check. Does that make any sense? If you are going to argue that the door is open and the monster can see you holding up your cross, then surely the keeper can argue that you can see the monster and that you have to test your willpower.

Edit - If the rooms are not seperated by a wall or door (i.e. they are seperated by a tile edge) then the above explanation does not apply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Help me to help you! Help me to help you!
United States
Edmond
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:
Being able to use cross and holy water on a monster in another room would allow you to interact with the monster without subjecting yourself to a horror check. Does that make any sense? If you are going to argue that the door is open and the monster can see you holding up your cross, then surely the keeper can argue that you can see the monster and that you have to test your willpower.

Though I agree generally with your sentiment, simply being able to see a monster does not require willpower test. For example, an investigator could enter an outdoor "room" that is adjacent to another outdoor room. The investigator can see and have range with that monster but not have to make horror checks until he/she enters the same room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
DoctorJ_RN wrote:
Holy water and cross = equipment (not ranged weapon) states "target a monster within the range of one and (insert skill check)"

Sister Mary in a room seperated by a door with a monster right on the other side of the door. Since the card is not an attack, not a ranged weapon, and not specific regarding line of sight does this mean that I can theoretically open the door and show the cross/sprinkle the holy water in the room and damage the monster (which makes sense to me) or is my character freakishly stupid and shows the cross/sprikles holy water on the door?

On this note I have another question. Keeper interupts my attack and plays a "decaying weapon" on my crowbar. The melee card that was played simply stated "deal 2 damage" not "weapon damage plus...". does this mean I even used my weapon (thus forcing me to discard) or do I have one more go with that weapon before I actually deal weapon damange? If this (and it didnt this time but I am just pondering this) caused me to discard the crowbar and I needed it to lift a manhole cover that was mission critical do I lose automatically (even if I hold off the keeper til we both lose)?

Also, must I always draw a combat card or can I attack with the damage points listed on the weapon? (I figure the former rather than the later but just clarifying)

I'm late

Rulebook states for RANGE "If there is a door in between the investigator and his target then he is NOT considered to be in range of his target."

So, no you can't use the cross through doors.

And no - the mythos cards are not played as "interrupts" they are played at the beginning of the investigator turn, or immediately after any move or action. So the crowbar is used first, and then the mythos card is applied.

If you break your crowbar and you NEED it, then you will not be able to undo that particular lock, but that does not mean you will lose - it all depends on the objective.

Oh - and you must draw a combat card when fighting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
You'd think keys would be immune to being destroyed...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:

But this key is also a weapon.

The mythos card says that the weapon is destroyed the NEXT TIME you use it to attack.

So, if you have the crowbar, you have to make the call - hit the monster with it, but lose the crowbar, or save it until you have opened the manhole. Of course, opening the manhole does not destroy the crowbar, and you would still get one use of it as a weapon to hit whatever monstrous entity slithers up out of the sewer

I don't see anything wrong with destroying the crowbar in this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:

The possibility about keys being destroyed is actually mentioned specifically in the rules, on page 15.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe RN
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Thanks a million guys! This was very helpful ... This is why I love BGG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.