Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesse Acosta
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In plain english, how does the rule En Passant work in Chess? Everything I have read is a bit ambiguous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have a piece that can jump your opponent's piece, but you don't do it, the other guy gets to take your piece.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's only relevant to pawn captures, actually. If you pass by an opposing pawn, and end your turn adjacent to it, on your opponent's turn he may step in just behind yours with his pawn, and capture yours, "in passing".

I forgot the important bit...your opponent can only do this after you've chosen to move your pawn 2 squares on its starting move. So basically, if you decide to move it 2 squares initially, and you land next to an opposing pawn, that pawn can capture you just as though you had moved only one space initially.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only with pawns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Synge
United Kingdom
NEWTON ABBOT
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
Go get 'em, Floyd.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sky Knight X wrote:
If you have a piece that can jump your opponent's piece, but you don't do it, the other guy gets to take your piece.

Yes, that fits into the "ambiguous" category OK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anye Freer
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it goes like this:

If you have a pawn in the 5th square from you (i.e. first square on the opponent's side), and your opponent moves a pawn in the column next to your pawn from it's starting position to the square directly next to your pawn, you may capture it. (Instead of normally where you would only be able to capture it if it was diagonally infront of your pawn).

like so

(obviously this isn't a real board setup because you couldn't get your pawn all the way to that spot without your opponent moving something else.. but go with me here...)

Before: (YP = "Your pawn")

R K B Q K B K R
P P P P P P P P
. . . . . . . .
. . . p . . . .
. . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . .
p p p . p p p p
R K B Q K B K R

Opponent moves: (OP = "opponent's pawn")

R K B Q K B K R
P P . P P P P P
. . . . . . . .
. . P p . . . .
. . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . .
p p p . p p p p
R K B Q K B K R

You capture by moving as you would normally capture (diagonally) but can take OP with you, so the final position would be:

R K B Q K B K R
P P P P P P P P
. . p . . . . .
. . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . .
p p p . p p p p
R K B Q K B K R

I think this is correct, but as I'm no expert feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

(Erg... none of my dots line up... they do in the "edit" screen...)

Aldie Edit - fixed your code.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anye is correct. En passant is only available to you if you have a pawn on the fifth row from your end of the board, and if your opponent chooses to move his pawn two spaces on its opening move, stopping adjacent to your pawn. You can move to the space his pawn skipped, as though his pawn is sitting there, and capture it. This is the only situation in which you can capture a piece without ending on the space where your opponent's piece was located.

Also, you can only take your opponent's pawn in this manner if you do it immediately after his pawn is moved. You cannot wait until later in the game to take a pawn en passant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anye Freer
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How is this different than what I said? (not trying to be snide, just want to see what I'm missing...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, Anye, I misread your diagram. I've corrected my comment. You were absolutely correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Anye, that is just awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's easier to remember if you just think if it as a mechanic to keep a player from avoiding potential capture of a pawn BY a pawn by moving forward. Moving your pawn forward two spaces at once is the only way to do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin long
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gerald hit another big point - must be done immediately after the opponent tries to "pass the enemy pawn" and must en passante (in passing) now or lose the chance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madd Mugsy
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're all right, but here's the "official" definition:

French for "in passing". The capture of a pawn which has moved two squares forward by an opponent's pawn on the fifth rank. This move can only be made immediately following the move of the pawn two squares forward. The capturing pawn moves diagonally forward one square, and "captures" the pawn as if it had moved only one square forward. An en passant capture is sometimes recorded with "e.p.", e.g.: exd5 e.p.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anye Freer
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
treece keenes wrote:
Gerald hit another big point - must be done immediately after the opponent tries to "pass the enemy pawn" and must en passante (in passing) now or lose the chance

Ooh, good point, I did miss that part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just adding WHY this special rule exists. A few centuries ago pawns were only allowed to move one field at a time. The 2-step move from the starting position of the pawn was added to speed up the game and make it more interesting. However, the opponent can still capture the pawn that just moved two spaces as if it just had moved one space forward. This capture is called "en passant".

Oliver

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Acosta
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot for the clarifications and visual examples. Now it makes more sense

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin long
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
this is a great exercise in how difficult it can be to write a good clear rule book - perhaps it can't be done - but the success of many games have suffered because of its unsuspecting hazards - so its lucky we can even teach a game to each other - i have realized our gaming roups mantra in response to this - "its a learning game" "stop whining and leave it for session 2 if i don't get it right that time" - that is a philosophy a lot of non-gamers need to hear before they judge a game on its teacher's merits and always play twice in the first session - blah blah blah...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Acosta
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One company I always give five stars for rules is Games Workshop. I may not like their prices(outrageous), but I will always say that the rules have been completely understandable everytime. Warhammer, Warhammer Quest, Talisman, Space Hulk, Warhammer Historical, all easily understandable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gone Fishing
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Just one problem with anye's 3rd diagram... needed to get rid of that "P" you just took.

R K B Q K B K R
P P . P P P P P
. . p . . . . .
. . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . .
p p p . p p p p
R K B Q K B K R "P" captured

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.