Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Date: Some time in 1943.
Location: Some infernal, bug-infested island in the middle of the Pacific Nowhere.
The Situation: A meeting engagement (RSG) between an Australian Rifle Company (Me) and a Japanese Tarawa Company (Marc). Two large forces move cautiously through the jungle, avoiding the exposed riverbank and then clash. Both sides are Recon. Certain key points must be taken (Each objective is worth 1; my secret is 5=5 and Marc's is 2=1)

I've never done a pictorial AAR so here goes. Just the highlights. Pictures below their descriptions.

Setup
There's not much cover here. Once the forces realize they're about to make contact, they hug the jungle as best they can. The chunk of jungle that juts out in the middle seems like a good place for an observation post. Who can get there first?

The Fight is On
The Japanese send a leader, squad and team straight into Objective 5. The Aussies anticipated that and had the bead on that spot with their HMG. Even firing through the tall grass, the Japanese had no chance and after several bursts were wiped from that spot. The others stayed inland to avoid the HMG getting the drop on them. But that spot was now theirs!

Don't get too close. OK, we gotta get close!
The Aussies knew the Japanese reputation for violent and deadly hand-to-hand combat. Even as they saw the jungle shivering with the movement of the oncoming enemy, they realized they had to advance and engage them to hold their position and prevent being swept back and flanked. The roar of a P-47 and the thunder of fire lit up the jungle in front of the Aussies. They could hear the screams of the enemy's burning soldiers. The Japanese had taken out one of the Aussie's leaders and broken two more units with heavy fire. They then came running into the clearing only to be jumped in a deadly ambush and cleared out with bayonets, even while their own were knocked aside.

You can see that by now we'd taken Objective 5. The hex two away was where two broken units were able to defeat two Japanese units. I had the Initiative shell by then and there was nothing he could do for his bad roll.

The Rising Sun is Setting Fast!
The Japanese fought desperately but the ANZAC troops were more determined. They shredded the jungle with withering enfilades and their men were ready when the Japanese engaged them.

There were three big melees, none of which the Japanese could win. A couple of big enfilade boosted fire attacks cut them to pieces as well. Marc was having a hard time getting good rolls for fire attacks and melees. He DID get a 10FP radio and called in some close shots, breaking a few of my men but to little overall effect. When the game was nearing its end, I broke and then eliminated his radio, even though he didn't have a leader to spot for it any more. Pure spite, that!

Sweat and Silence
It wasn't much longer before the last of the Japanese had broken apart and died or run. A kamikaze dash into melee was repelled in the jungle and a mopping up squad was sent around to engage the last of the stragglers breaking them up easily. Soon the sound of gunfire was just an echo in the tired ears of the troops and the sounds of battle faded into a silence filled only with the drops of sweat falling from weary men and buzz of the ever present wildlife already beginning to feast on the dead.

This was a true rout. For whatever reason, bad rolls or whatever, the Japanese couldn't hold their ground and my determined men cleaned them out entirely. It was a crushing defeat.

Stats for Those Writing the History Books
In Combat Commander: Pacific, the Japanese don't have a surrender level. But they DO lose if every last one of their units is taken out!

Game Notes
There's no Rout Order in CC: P. But this battle definitely qualified as a rout.

It was a fun game, maybe more so for me than for Marc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great AAR and the photos do it justice.

THANKS Malacandra. Poor Marc followed your maxim, but this time to no avail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
I've probably played 20-30 games of CC. I've never seen the casualty track that full and unbalanced.

OUCH!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
chicklewis wrote:
Great AAR and the photos do it justice.

THANKS Malacandra. Poor Marc followed your maxim, but this time to no avail.

Oops! I told Marc I wouldn't use his real name.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeneSteeler wrote:
I've probably played 20-30 games of CC. I've never seen the casualty track that full and unbalanced.

OUCH!

I'm closing in on 200 and that's about as bad as I've ever seen myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sigh. Now for the caveat...

For one reason or another we neglected to have the Japanese put any units in the Infiltration boxes and buy Sighting markers. (rushing to setup before breaking for supper if an excuse is warranted). Oversight on our part. That might have thrown a wrench in the works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent report with just the right photos to give a good sense of what went on.

Liked the Aussie MG nest.

Nice one.

Regards,

Fentum

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fentum wrote:
Excellent report with just the right photos to give a good sense of what went on.

Liked the Aussie MG nest.

Nice one.

Regards,

Fentum

Thanks. Too bad the HMG didn't get used more, though. Once we swept out Objective 5, there wasn't any need to use it. I was figuring I'd get trashed in melee and the HMG could work those left side jungle hexes but my men held firm and didn't let the Japanese through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Wehrenberg
United States
Unspecified
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Maxim or no, I could see the Surrender coming early in this game and would not have had a problem with it. (Except that the Japanese never surrender!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.