Subject: "He didn't get out of the cockadoodie car!" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't wait for Fortune and Glory. Everything about it looks great so far, and I love that there is actually a mechanic to include The Cliffhanger, a staple of this type of cinema. But, I wonder if Flying Frog will take into account the ugly kid sister of The Cliffhanger, a.k.a. The Fake-out. Namely, after waiting all week to see how the hero will escape from a given cliffhanger, the audience is given a plot twist that is highly unlikely given the previously shown material (if not an out-and-out contradiction).

I think it would be fun if there was a very limited-use mechanic that played up this retcon-ish cliffhanger resolution. Maybe each character can, once per game, automatically pass a cliffhanger of his or her choice. Or, better yet, what if there were cards you could use to escape certain cliffhanger based on keywords (water, air, Nazi, mob, etc.).

Anyway, just something to noodle on while we wait the long, long months for the game to come out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My secret is, I always use fresh tomatoes, never canned. And to give it that extra zip, I mix a little Spam with the ground beef!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zenjoy
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One concern I have (which could be easily resolved) is the issue of the Cliffhanger/ Danger cards. As they are double-sided you will know WHAT the next danger you draw will be, which means you could potentially delay attempting it by avoiding it for someone else to do.

A simple solution however would be roll a d6 prior drawing a Danger Card. If you get a 1-2, you draw the top-most card. A 3-4 you draw the card under it (keeping the original on-top). And 5-6 you draw the card under the card (i.e.: card 3 of the deck).

This way cards draw are always a mystery.

Further (slight expensive) alternative is make a copy of all the Cliffhanger sides, then put both the original AND the cliffhanger copy in a card sleeve. You won't know what you draw until its draw, and both sides are still available to be looked at.

This is just me. I'm sure others won't have an issue to this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
zfairborn wrote:
One concern I have (which could be easily resolved) is the issue of the Cliffhanger/ Danger cards. As they are double-sided you will know WHAT the next danger you draw will be, which means you could potentially delay attempting it by avoiding it for someone else to do.

A simple solution however would be roll a d6 prior drawing a Danger Card. If you get a 1-2, you draw the top-most card. A 3-4 you draw the card under it (keeping the original on-top). And 5-6 you draw the card under the card (i.e.: card 3 of the deck).

Further (slight expensive) alternative is make a copy of all the Cliffhanger sides, then put both the original AND the cliffhanger copy in a card sleeve. You won't know what you draw until its draw, and both sides are still available to be looked at.

I think you'll probably just draw from the bottom of the deck?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
zfairborn wrote:

I think you'll probably just draw from the bottom of the deck?

That was my first thought when I watched the demo. Players will know what's coming. Drawing from the bottom is the most elegant solution. Hopefully that is what will be in the rules, as I don't like to houserule if I don't have to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Harris
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He even shows in the video, he shuffles them up, and pulls one from the middle, so you know they are aware, and will have a mechanic in place...even if it is "shuffle them up, and draw one from the middle"
cool

All I need to know is when can I run down to the game store and say "Oh, now Wally, give me a copy of that F-in' Fortune and Glory, and a box of those bitchly card sleeves"? At then go to the register and say, "Oh, Mrs. Malenger, here is one big bastard of a check, now give me some of your Christ-ing reciepts!" THERE, LOOK THERE, NOW SEE WHAT YOU MADE ME DO!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes
United States
Hamilton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cornbread46 wrote:
He even shows in the video, he shuffles them up, and pulls one from the middle, so you know they are aware, and will have a mechanic in place...even if it is "shuffle them up, and draw one from the middle"
cool

All I need to know is when can I run down to the game store and say "Oh, now Wally, give me a copy of that F-in' Fortune and Glory, and a box of those bitchly card sleeves"? At then go to the register and say, "Oh, Mrs. Malenger, here is one big bastard of a check, now give me some of your Christ-ing reciepts!" THERE, LOOK THERE, NOW SEE WHAT YOU MADE ME DO!

You used "Christ" as a gerund. I had no idea...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zenjoy
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cornbread46 wrote:

Wow! Whoops. Can't believe I missed that. Must have been distracted. Well at least that resolves it a bit. Mind you I think drawing from the bottom of the deck is just as good and requires SIGNIFICANTLY less shuffling (to re-shuffle everytime prior drawing a card would get a bit tedious in my opinion).

Cheers for clarifying, Looking forward to the game a bit more now. :D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C.
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi. I'm really looking forward to this game as well. Your post is driving me crazy though, as I can practically see the woman uttering the quote you're referencing but I cannot for the life of me remember what it is from! Please refresh my memory! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Misery
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moisés Solé
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alternatively, just cut the deck before drawing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.