Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Questions so many questions.... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Allen King
United States
Marrysville
Washington
flag msg tools
Just got done playing a session with my brother and we sealed all the gates. I have a few questions though...

1) If you have multiple monsters at the same gate do you have to fight all of them to seal the gate?

2) Is there places that you should go to that don't have clue tokens?

3) And if a player is in other world "on the second place" and he gets a monster on that encounter can he sneak past him because he's going to return to arkham?

4) And last if there are two monsters on the same street can you sneak past both and then continue your movement?

Thanks in advance still working out the bumps but we had a great time playing this. We got our heads handed to us by a few monsters and I will never play the doctor again. I mean really he can only move up to a speed of 3 grrrrrr.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volker Hirscher
Germany
Oftersheim
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1) In the first round you return from the OW, you do not have to deal with the monsters, So, you can seal the gates without fighting/sneaking past it. Next round, you have to deal with all monsters on your space...

2) That's up to you - a blessing is nice, items are nice, and so on... just a matter of play and tactics

3) You can always sneak past monsters in OWs, so: yes.

4) Yes

Btw: Welcome to the Geek!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ranma709 wrote:
1) If you have multiple monsters at the same gate do you have to fight all of them to seal the gate?

The turn you return to Arkham you do not have to deal with any monsters on the gate. After that turn follow the phases, you deal with monsters during Movement (phase 2), you can attempt to close/seal in Arkham Encounters (phase 3). Note dealing means fighting OR evading, monsters on gates don't prevent you from closing/sealing, they're just a deadly and annoying hinderance if you don't close/seal the turn you come back from another world.

Ranma709 wrote:
2) Is there places that you should go to that don't have clue tokens?

Are you low on equipment? Stores are a good option for shopping otherwise look at the white shaded symbols on the locations.
Are you low on movement? General Store has maps and motorcycles
Are you low on physical weapons? Common Items, i.e., General Store is where to shop
Are you low on magical weapons? Unique Items, i.e., Curiositie Shoppe is where to shop (magical attack is something we tend to lack - but we play with all the expansions, so your experience may differ)
Money to burn? Curiositie Shoppe has Elder Signs
Are you low on equipment, but don't have money to shop at the stores?
Get money from the Newspaper, Administration Building, or try your luck at any of the other locations with money symbol
Got a nasty curse that you don't have the trophies to get rid of, you could try your luck at the South Church or the Bank of Arkham
If you're on the Northside of the board and need to get to the South Side quickly (but you have a slow investigator), or if you just want to get a free ride past some rough monsters in the streets, the Train Station is a good bet, Newspaper has a possibility, and I believe the Bank does as well.

However, yes all this stuff should pretty much be secondary to clues and gates - but if you can invest a turn or two now to save three or four later, it's a good investment.

Ranma709 wrote:
3) And if a player is in other world "on the second place" and he gets a monster on that encounter can he sneak past him because he's going to return to arkham?

Monsters from encounters (including other world encounters) never come out on the board. If an encounter gives you a monster (not a gate and a monster in Arkham - that's different), you draw the monster and deal with it (fight/evade) immediately. In the other world this is phase 4, you won't be moving back to Arkham until next turn in phase 2.
(you can always sneak - there seems to be some way you are playing the game wrong, so if the above doesn't answer your question, please provide additional information)


Ranma709 wrote:
4) And last if there are two monsters on the same street can you sneak past both and then continue your movement?

As long as pass the initial evade check for both monsters yes. If you fail even 1 evade check (even if you survive and pass a later evade check) the investigators movement is over, and they will have to deal with both the monsters again (plus any more that move/appear in that area) next turn.

Ranma709 wrote:
and I will never play the doctor again. I mean really he can only move up to a speed of 3 grrrrrr.

Investigators are supposed to be drawn randomly

There are quite a few that can only move three, that's why maps and motorcycles are so helpful, and why it may be worth a shop or two at the General Store early in the game.
Unfortunately the doctor is one of the worse investigators, even among those with three speed. His personal plot in Innsmouth would be really useful if the cost weren't so high. shake

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tuckerotl wrote:
Ranma709 wrote:
and I will never play the doctor again. I mean really he can only move up to a speed of 3 grrrrrr.

Investigators are supposed to be drawn randomly

There are quite a few that can only move three, that's why maps and motorcycles are so helpful, and why it may be worth a shop or two at the General Store early in the game.
Unfortunately the doctor is one of the worse investigators, even among those with three speed. His personal plot in Innsmouth would be really useful if the cost weren't so high. shake
Given that the OP is playing Base and it seems like it's early days for the OP's group, may I suggest either choosing an Investigator or dealing three and picking one? In early games I found that it helps to have a consistant choice of Investigator ('cos so much else is variable in the game) or to have some "empathy" for the Investigator that you chose. Getting lumbered with one of the more challenging Investigators can may for a difficult learning experience (btw, IMO, calling an Investigator bad, is the equivalent of calling an AO "bad" 'cos it's a tough one, it isn't a bad Investigator, it's one that presents a greater challenge). My advice: get some confidence that you can deal with the game, without having the doubt that it's the Investigator that you're playing with that makes it hard. After all, it's your game, you should be having fun with it. Later on, increasing the challenge becomes part of the fun but in early games the easiest of setups can prove to be challenging enough ninja
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen King
United States
Marrysville
Washington
flag msg tools
What we were doing is playing more like an Rpg. If monsters spawn during an encounter then you have to fight that monster. I guess that you always deal with both sides of the monster. And I didn't mean that we were not playing with random drawn players.

Just that it kind of seamed like I got put behind the eight ball at the start of the game by drawing the doctor. But he does have good points like being able to heal himself or someone else around him. This came in handy when the board had alot of monsters and the dice seamed to hate us.

Thanks everyone for answering my questions, going to play again after work and will have more questions.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ranma709 wrote:
What we were doing is playing more like an Rpg. If monsters spawn during an encounter then you have to fight that monster. I guess that you always deal with both sides of the monster.
Follow the phases and steps - the game can be mapped easily onto a flowchart (in fact, if you look in the files section you'll see that it's been done Arkham Horror - Turn Flowchart.pdf and for combat too Arkham Horror - Combat Flowchart.pdf). Combat is always 1 - Horror Check; 2 - Fight or flee; 3 - monster damage; loop to step 2. (for the rules obsessives I'm ignoring ambush and anything else that branches the main flow)
Quote:
And I didn't mean that we were not playing with random drawn players.

Just that it kind of seamed like I got put behind the eight ball at the start of the game by drawing the doctor. But he does have good points like being able to heal himself or someone else around him. This came in handy when the board had alot of monsters and the dice seamed to hate us.

Thanks everyone for answering my questions, going to play again after work and will have more questions.
And we'll be here to offer guidance and opinion in equal measure. Myself, I'm going to be breaking out Innsmouth Horror for the first time tonight. I cannot wait - though I expect to die horribly.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorik
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
How sticky is your ZOC?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We playede our first IH session last weeekend and it was close a few times but we won we had a great time anyways...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Hale
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Just a quick thing:

1.) In addition to what was said, you can CHOOSE to not fight monsters on the turn you return to Arkham from an OW. So, if you want, you can cherry-pick a cultists, or kill a ghoul so he's not there next turn. THis can be dangerous, of course, because sometimes the dice hate you, and you get killed by a zombie even though you're at full health. It's advantageous, sometimes, because it allows you to not waste your next movement dealing with the monster next turn! But, again, risky because if you lose, you have to start the gate process all over again...

And the rulebook says you can CHOOSE investigators, OR have them randomly dealt. Don't feel obligated one way or another. I randomly select mine, but some of my friends choose ones they haven't played before, and others I pick 3 random ones and they choose 1. So whichever method works for you is okay ^_^ And it sounds like you chose randomly, so that's okay, too :-D
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen King
United States
Marrysville
Washington
flag msg tools
EcnoTheNeato wrote:
Just a quick thing:

1.) In addition to what was said, you can CHOOSE to not fight monsters on the turn you return to Arkham from an OW. So, if you want, you can cherry-pick a cultists, or kill a ghoul so he's not there next turn. THis can be dangerous, of course, because sometimes the dice hate you, and you get killed by a zombie even though you're at full health.


I understand about dice hating you. Tonight we had a rumor wear during the methos one dice has to be rolled and on a 1 or 2 a token has to be added to the doom track. Grrrr we rolled badly 3 times in a row.

Got our butts handed to us by Yig when he awoke, I got devoured in the first round. And my brother only got to round two. We are going to try 2 investigators a piece Saturday and we will have more players by Tuesday.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volker Hirscher
Germany
Oftersheim
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
In addition to what was said, you can CHOOSE to not fight monsters on the turn you return to Arkham from an OW. So, if you want, you can cherry-pick a cultists, or kill a ghoul so he's not there next turn.


Never thought about that, but you are right!

But anyway, we play with the houserule that monsters guarding a gate which is being closed are eliminated (in addition to those showing the right symbol).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Babis Tsimoris
Greece
Salonica
flag msg tools
Be the Miracle!
badge
There is no knowledge that is not power
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mavo wrote:
Quote:
In addition to what was said, you can CHOOSE to not fight monsters on the turn you return to Arkham from an OW. So, if you want, you can cherry-pick a cultists, or kill a ghoul so he's not there next turn.


Never thought about that, but you are right!

But anyway, we play with the houserule that monsters guarding a gate which is being closed are eliminated (in addition to those showing the right symbol).


I think this house rule makes the game too easy
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volker Hirscher
Germany
Oftersheim
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you are wrong!

To be honest, you should not judge something like that if you don't know all house-rules we play, and all the background. I don't want to write everything down now, but one fact: we only play 2 player-1 character each, with DH and a few small expansions, so the game is REALLY hard... And thematically, this house rule makes a lot of sense. It was proposed by the designer R. Launius himself.

The game would probably easier (not easy) if you only play the base game. Maybe you do??
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Hale
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
The rule itself makes it easier, but if you have other things in play that's another thing altogether ^_^ Especially if those other houserules make things harder, or complement that rule a bit.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.