flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
This "combo" has some severe deficiencies:

- drawing a bunch of ST together is no good
- drawing nothing valuable after playing all your ST's in hand (expecially probable when you start filling your deck with VP cards, in particular if done too early - like your suggestion to get Gardens)
- a single Thief will not harm your opponent, most probably won't help you that much, and if you buy and play it too early, it'll help your opponent to get rid of Copper

I call a "combo" something more reliable than this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nakamura
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
I suggest replacing the Shanty Towns by Silver and buying a second Thief would enhance your Gardens deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nakamura
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
^ Great. Buy all the Shanty Towns and you can play turns that go on forever. So much fun. What about Village, would that be an option? Or even Workers' Village - it gives you +buy!!!! Hey wait, Gardens and +buy, that's amazing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Goldthorpe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
Drawing multiple shanty towns is amazing, if you know how to play them.

Forgive me for pointing this out but if you have two shanty towns in hand you have only one way to play them. It gives you +4 actions and draws up a hand of five cards, probably without any more actions. If you start with even more shanty towns in hand you just get more actions you don't need and fewer cards to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
Anjohl wrote:
DaveGold wrote:
Quote:

Forgive me for pointing this out but if you have two shanty towns in hand you have only one way to play them. It gives you +4 actions and draws up a hand of five cards, probably without any more actions. If you start with even more shanty towns in hand you just get more actions you don't need and fewer cards to play.

*Sigh*.

I play ST, I am +2A. I play the second ST, I am +3A, draw two cards. I typically grab either needed treasures, a thief, or another ST (Go back to "Draw 2 cards...").

Worked really good in simulation, *Shrug*. I am no Dominion expert, but it has synergy.

Not really. You don't need extra actions to run a deck with a single thief, and Shanty Town is not a card to build a draw engine around. Which I think is what the people above you are saying, and you seem to be missing. If you draw two Shanty Towns, you end up with the same hand you would have started with if you never had the Shanty Towns in your deck, plus two extra actions. Since you're talking about a deck that has only one Terminal, the extra actions are useless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Green
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as you don't pick up too many into your hand at a time, a Shanty town can become a mini-City almost every single time you play it.

Toss a couple of Havens in there and you've got yourself a pretty slick little engine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Costello
msg tools
Anjohl wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:
Anjohl wrote:
DaveGold wrote:
Quote:

*Sigh*.

I play ST, I am +2A. I play the second ST, I am +3A, draw two cards. I typically grab either needed treasures, a thief, or another ST (Go back to "Draw 2 cards...").

Worked really good in simulation, *Shrug*. I am no Dominion expert, but it has synergy.

Not really. You don't need extra actions to run a deck with a single thief, and Shanty Town is not a card to build a draw engine around. Which I think is what the people above you are saying, and you seem to be missing. If you draw two Shanty Towns, you end up with the same hand you would have started with if you never had the Shanty Towns in your deck, plus two extra actions. Since you're talking about a deck that has only one Terminal, the extra actions are useless.

Not if you draw into another ST. I do see your point though, that sometimes, you would have the same hand without the ST's, sure.

But that's STILL useless! Of the 3 ST's the last one is the ONLY one that is making a meaningful contribution to your deck. The first two are completely wasted.

You're pretty much describing the following situation.
Copper, Copper, Copper, ST, ST - Top 2 cards in draw pile... Copper, ST
Play ST, +2Actions.
Play ST, +2 Actions, +2 Cards.
Now you have Copper, Copper, Copper, Copper, ST, +3 Actions

As opposed to what you would have had if those first 2 STs weren't in your deck at all and those next two cards just started in your hand. Copper, Copper, Copper, Copper, ST, +1 Actions

But the difference in actions is completely irrelevant because you're holding a Shanty town, which gives you enough actions to play the cards it draws either way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Pinchback
United States
Leonard
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love playing AGAINST people like this who cycle their deck but without anything useful actually happening. So after a couple minutes, you have some copper in your hand and a bunch of actions you don't need. Boffo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt N

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a very good reason why shanty town is three while laboratory is five. There are also much better terminal attacks than thief if you were making a laboratory-chaining deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fake name
msg tools
I don't think the strategy you're describing is particularly awesome.

That being said, last night I had a game where there was mountebank, theif, witch and throne room on the table.

My opponent was absolutely destroying me with KC/mountebank. I turned the tables at the last minute with KC/Thief where I stole 3 gold from him in 2 turns. I then made a mistake by ending the game on piles while I had the cash advantage. I lost with a score of -1 to 6 I think. I didn't think to calculate the curses into my score (thought I was ahead)

I was doing something similar to what the original poster is talking about, but I think I was using villiage to cycle my deck to TR/Thief. It was pretty effective considering I had maybe 8 curses in my deck. I also had multiple TR and thief cards in my deck. I would dead draw every now and then, but I had to do something to counteract all the curse cards polluting my deck.

So anyway, cycling your deck and using thief with your extraneous actions can be effective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.