Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Malme
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have recently got back into board gaming, after a decade or so away from it. It amuses me that in our 20's, the standard way we used to play games is place the board in the middle of the floor, and sit or sprawl about it, either on the floor, or on cushions.

Nowadays, we seem to be more dignified, and sit on upright chairs, around the dining table (or at trestles). More practical, but less relaxing. So lately, I have been toying with the idea of a collapsable table large enough for gaming, but at sofa/coffeetable height - allowing for more comfort, but also providing a practical and sturdy game area.

So which is it for you - floor or table? I'm not talking about tournaments, but what you do at home, amongst family and friends.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert C Kalajian Jr
United States
Simsbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We usually play at the dining room table. It's large and the seats are pretty tolerable to sit in for an hour or two. When I visit my in-laws house for a few quick games with my brother-in-law we end up playing on the floor. I guess it just depends on where I can find room to game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Seddon
United Kingdom
Congleton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The table or coffee table, Chris...but come play a game of Jutland and it's time to hit the floor!

Some kids games are best on the floor too - size and awkwardness of kids around a table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McIlhatton
New Zealand
Palmerston North
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
table every time now... with a toddler in the house putting games on the floor is asking for trouble

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy O'Neal
United States
Mechanicsville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Innocent Bystander wrote:
table every time now... with a toddler in the house putting games on the floor is asking for trouble

At least until they want to start playing the game with you, then even the table is asking for trouble. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jody Ludwick
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Coffee table, kitchen table or dinning room table, depends on the size of the game and surface area required to play. We don't play our boardgames on the floor ... we have a rather curious, meddling and obnoxious dog.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dignity has little to do with it. Age, however, is a factor. Spawling around on the floor is much less comfortable now a few decades later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Payne
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmb
All of our tables usually have junk on them, so we usually play on the floor (me with my parents), especially Carcassonne

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Marchlewitz
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When we were kids, it was the floor all the time.
Now as backs and knees start giving way to the forces and wims of gravity and bad posture, a dining table is what we use. In fact, when we were hunting around for a new dining table, we always thought in the back of our mind..."Oh this would make a good gaming table."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
Gotta go with a table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Acosta
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on the game. Generally if we can, a table of some sort. If its Doom, Warhammer Quest, or Space Hulk, then we go with the floor since the board gets kind of big. My problem is that I was in a car accident a few years back, and even though Im "better", sitting awkwardly on the floor or in some seats for a long time gets uncomfortable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tettamanti
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
So which is it for you - floor or table?

When I was about 13 or 14, my mom took a hacksaw to the legs of a card table...making it about 12-14 inches off of the ground. She went to a hardware store and got caps for the legs. You could sit on the floor/pillow and play comfortably. We played on that thing for years! I might do the same for MY family! Thanks for bringing back memories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lee
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definately a table... I find myself standing constantly during the course of a game, whether I'm on the floor or a table. So in general, it's easier to get up from a chair. Hahaha...!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwsparks
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
When the bullet hits the bone!
mbmbmbmbmb
We've actually reversed the roles at my house. Because the dining room table was occupied by HeroScape terrain on one end and my wife's scrapbooking stuff on the other end, we ate dinner on the floor! We told our daughter we were having an "inside picnic", and now she wants to have an "inside picnic" all the time...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom "Snicker Daddy" Pancoast
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dwsparks wrote:
We told our daughter we were having an "inside picnic", and now she wants to have an "inside picnic" all the time...

That's cute!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, when we lived in our appartment... we had a small dinning table... so it depended on the size of the game... most of the time on the table...

Once we moved into our house... we have a small dinning room (infact our refrigerater takes up most of the room). So you we put the table in the corner and can only sit 2 people at it. So for a while we were playing on the floor in the large living room. Then we all got sore backs and elbows... so we finaly bought a nice light but sturdy folding table (5x3) that comes out for game nights. The table is big enough (barely) to hold our double set of heroscape terrain. (with giving us room for rolling and placing our order markers, on the table)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Armstead
United States
New Brighton
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kitchen table always. Salt-man Z's 13 month old devil would destroy anything left on the the floor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.