Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Wopsle
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my favorite thing about D&D on Pen and Paper was after you roll D20 to see if you hit, you get to see how much damage you do. I was sad that it is ALWAYS set with Castle Ravenloft.

I experimented with multiplying ALL HP by 3 and ALL damage I would multiply by 4 and roll the according dice. This takes a bit of math and was sort of confusing, but it worked pretty well!

So if you're attacking a skeleton, who has 1HP by design, he now has 3HP (1X3). Then, if you hit him with something that does 1 damage, like most character's basic attacks, you roll a D4 and have a 50% chance of killing him and a 50% chance of only wounding him.

So everyone has a lot more life, but everyone can also potentially do a lot more damage. It just basically makes a lot more drama in this area. I also rolled for healing, so if I used the Cleric's ability to give health equal to the character's surge, I would roll for it.

Let me know what you think. Anyone else experimented with any variations that allow you to roll for damage?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember thinking "Ravenloft only comes with a d20? That's not D&D!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ketchupgun
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
TOTALLY gonna try this. I really wanted CR to use the whole complement of dice. I also liked the roll for damage of DnD. I'd like to use more of that in terms of "trying/rolling" to do things like open doors, open coffins, listen for monsters in the next room/tile...attacks of opportuntiy.

I think what i can say about CR is it comes with so much great stuff...and a really shitty ruleset. But it's worth buying just for the ingredients of a good game...just the recipe needs tweaking. Try the Castlevania variant!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I must admit I missed rolling damage too.

Great idea, I might give this a go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Forster
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Caltrops are annoying to roll. I suggest multiplying hp by 4 and using 6-sided dice instead, if you like the 50% chance to be as effective as you were before including damage rolls.

Personally, I'd probably just multiply hp by 3 (while using 6-siders), so there's a chance on a lucky damage roll of doing what would have been 2 damage by the old system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.