Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ethan Nicholas
United States
Wake Forest
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never played a wargame before, but I've had a fair amount of solo game time lately and am interested in trying a solo wargame. WTiD looks very interesting; it's much prettier than most of the wargames I have seen, and from skimming the rules it seems like it's attempting to be comprehensible.

Is this a good game to start with? What else should I be looking at?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Can you get a copy? It's out of print.

It's also not as easy as it looks and takes quite some time (though if you have Windows, ZunTzu helps with that).

I found the basic game of B-29 Superfortress easier, and shorter, to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dragonnyxx wrote:
I have never played a wargame before, but I've had a fair amount of solo game time lately and am interested in trying a solo wargame. WTiD looks very interesting; it's much prettier than most of the wargames I have seen, and from skimming the rules it seems like it's attempting to be comprehensible.

Is this a good game to start with? What else should I be looking at?

It depends what you're looking for in a wargame. My main concern is if you drop $100 on this game, don't like it, and you decide wargames aren't for you. WTiD is not very representative of wargames as a whole (it has much higher production value, hence cost, and is simpler, though you probably want to start simple). For that matter, solitaire wargames tend to be pretty special, often having unique mechanism that aren't in typical wargames. Therefore, if your intention is to get into wargames, they may not be the best introduction.

So, I return to the question: what are you looking for in a wargame?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have much in the way of traditional wargame experience. I do have an interest in them, and am drawn toward games that are fairly involved. I didn't have a very hard time understanding the rules, I just read the instructions a couple times before I played. The first couple times I played I referenced the rules and player aids frequently to make sure I was doing things correctly. I really enjoy the game and consider it to be one of the few treasures in my collection. I went into it expecting it to take some time and patience. It also takes a long time to play.

Hope that helps. If you're still interested in it, good luck getting a copy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Echo the advice about WITD not being terribly representative, so don't give up on the whole genre if if it doesn't work for you. I have yet to play it, so can't comment on the game itself

You did ask for some alternatives though. For solitaire yuo might like Raid on St. Nazaire. Pretty fascinating story which I only learned about when somebody recommended the game. Which is something I find a lot of in wargaming, the games tend to compliment my reading, and vice versa.

Also, don't be afraid to try a 2 player game solo, it actually works quite well, at least for the getting immersed in the subject, if not quite as competitive as face to face (FtF - might as well learn the lingo now)

Welcome aboard and enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Nicholas
United States
Wake Forest
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yikes, should have checked prices before asking about this. Just figured with it being a 2009 game that it wouldn't be THAT bad to acquire

Thanks for the recommendations, guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're looking for recent games, there's RAF: The Battle of Britain 1940 and D-Day at Omaha Beach by John Butterfield. I really like Raid on St. Nazaire, but I don't know how hard it would be to find.

I'm kind of turned off of B-29 (and B-17) right now. Those games are heavy on narrative and simulation detail, but pretty sparse in gaming decisions: stuff happens to you, and there's not much you can do about it but take it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you dont mind playing both sides, there's always the FREE Valor & Victory
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Mann
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fusag wrote:
If you're looking for recent games, there's RAF: The Battle of Britain 1940 and D-Day at Omaha Beach by John Butterfield. I really like Raid on St. Nazaire, but I don't know how hard it would be to find.

"Omaha Beach" has a steeper learning curve, but RAF isn't a bad choice. Maybe Ambush! for small unit ground combat, or Hornet Leader or Phantom Leader for air combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
Hornet Leader: Carrier Air Operations is a fantastic game. I've played two long U.S. Navy campaigns. The game missions presented me with tension and tough choices that I agonized over. It definitely drew me in. It was pretty easy to learn, as well. It's new and there's currently frequent support for it here on BGG if you have questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.