Subject: Commodity Trading with the Sea Harbors rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rebecca Bean
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
We were playing C & K with some friends of ours. All of us have been playing for a while. Then one of the players wanted to make a 2:1 trade of 2 bricks for 1 book. The way we interpreted the rules was that you could only trade 2:1 for a commodity if you have the matching specific harbor. Our friends played that anyone having a 2:1 harbor could trade 2 of the same cards for any commodity card.

There was a big discussion about it and no one will budge on their views. In the rules it states that commodities are traded the same as resrouces but then goes into further detail by saying how they can be traded. When talking about the 2:1 is says you must have the matching specific harbor. We take that to mean you can only trade for books at the lumber 2:1, coins at the ore 2:1 and cloth at the wool 2:1. Is this right?

If anyone knows please help me out. I refuse to play with our friends again until we get it sorted out. It was a very important trade for him and I don't think he should have gotten it, but I could be wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Commodity Trading with the Sea Harbors
rannbean (#484586),

I believe the commodities are treated like any other resource as far as trading is concerned. Thus if you have the 2:1 wheat port you can trade two wheat for any one resource or commodity card. The only way to trade commodities at a favorable rate is to have attained the required level in trade (yellow) city-upgrades.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yehuda Berlinger
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rannbean (#484586),

When trading 4 for 1 with the bank, you may trade 4 of any resource or commodity for 1 of any resource or commodity. E.g. 4 books for one brick, 4 books for one coin, or 4 bricks for 1 book.

When trading at the 3 for 1 port, you may trade 3 of any resource or commodity for 1 of any resource or commodity. E.g. 3 books for 1 brick, 3 books for 1 coin, or 3 bricks for 1 book.

When trading at a 2 for 1 resource port, you may trade two of that resource ONLY for 1 of any resource or commodity. E.g. if you have the lumber resource port, you may trade 2 lumber for 1 brick, or 2 lumber for 1 coin. You MAY NOT trade two books for 1 something at the lumber port.

When the instructions say that commodities are "traded the same as resource" this does not change the function of the harbors. The harbors still only apply to the resource pictured. It only means that you may trade them like resources with other player, and you can trade for both resources and commodities with the bank.

So neither of you are correct. Your friends are even more incorrect, however. Where did they come up with that?

Yehuda

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yehuda Berlinger
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, rereading your post, I see now what you were saying about your friend's opinion. Yes, your friends are correct, and you are incorrect.

Yehuda

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebecca Bean
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
Thank you Yehuda. I guess I will just have to suck it up now and apologize. This way does make it easier then the way we had been playing it. Now maybe I will beat my husband by even more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.