Gerald RĂ¼scher
Germany
Paderborn
flag msg tools
badge
Brettspieler
mbmbmbmbmb
Fellow Geeks,

I need some help from a native English speaker. I'm a big fan of US TV shows like BSG, Lost, Heroes etc. and since the German dubbing is usually quite awful I prefer to watch these shows with their original English soundtrack. Lately I've been watching some old Seinfeld episodes and there was this scene where Jerry Seinfeld says to some other guy "So, how 'bout those Knicks?" I've heard/read this kind of phrase before but I'm still not 100% sure what it means precisely. It's obisously something you use in small talk to break the silence but I really wonder what it's supposed to mean. Is it like "Did you hear about the Knicks' latest game?". Or more like "What do you think about the Knicks?" Or is it simply "Let's talk about the Knicks?".

Any help is greatly appreciated laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It means "Let's talk about the team's recent performance." You usually hear it if the team has been playing especially well or especially poorly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludes
United States
Honor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IngredientX wrote:
It means "Let's talk about the team's recent performance." You usually hear it if the team has been playing especially well or especially poorly.

In the latter case, spoken with a heavy dose of sarcasm ...

And here I thought this thread would be an evaluation of the team in light of the Carmelo Anthony acquisition ...

(now watch it get hijacked )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The above responses are correct, although you should also know that this type of phrase is usually used to indicate that the speaker finds the current topic of conversation to be awkward, embarrassing, or dull and wishes to change the subject.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually means "Look at my new coffee table, I am upset about the damage that occurred in transit."

Okay, I lie. The others are correct... It's like saying "how about the weather?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So then ... How 'bout those Knicks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Lincoln
NE: NEBRASKA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hah! I just watched that episode.

You are right it is basically small talk, but I don't think it has a specific meaning. Usually just let's talk about the Knicks, and it usually means the Knicks have done something noteworthy lately. Winning games, losing games, some sort of drafting scandal, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Leezer wrote:
The above responses are correct, although you should also know that this type of phrase is usually used to indicate that the speaker finds the current topic of conversation to be awkward, embarrassing, or dull and wishes to change the subject.

In other words, "Can we talk about something else? Anything else?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ookami Snow
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
Leezer wrote:

In other words, "Can we talk about something else? Anything else?"

In high school we used to say "So how about them Broncos?" (NFL football team) when somebody says something awkward and stops the conversation in the group, since we don't want to talk about the statement just said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Casiglio
United States
Ansonia
CT
flag msg tools
Falcon 2018 September 28, 29, 30 in Stamford, CT
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.