Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Struve
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Average Joe reviews are aimed at the average gamer. You know who you are!

Those of you who:
1) Know what ‘Eurogame’ and ‘Ameritrash’ means.
2) Know that enjoying the game is more important than winning.
3) Don’t own more than 100 games.
4) Don’t consider their FLGS a second home (maybe a 3rd or 4th though).
5) Like to read a review without being overloaded with information.

Goal of Game:
Get rid of your cards before everyone else, and with a little luck, your partner will deplete his cards right after you. Score the round - wash, rinse and repeat until one team reaches 1000 points to win the game.

Components:
Cards only, no pieces. Cards are of a standard card stock, no problem.

The Rules:
Yikes! The rules that came with the game have a lot to be desired. This isn’t an overly tricky game, but learning from the rulebook is very tricky. Definitely best to learn the game from somebody teaching you the game. I felt there were several spots that could have been clearer, and several places where there seemed to be no proper explanation (even reading out loud to everyone, slowly, and several repeats of a paragraph didn’t solve the problem). We had to ‘wing’ it and figure out certain rules as we went along.

But once learned, rulebook shouldn’t need consulting anymore.

The Game:
Superb. We played with 4 people, which the game recommends - and I honestly don’t find the rules for playing with anything other than 4 people appealing. So this review is based entirely on 4 player games.

This game went over like gangbusters with my game group. Rounds play fairly fast, and while the rules recommend playing to a score of 1000, you can make games shorter by lowering that to any desired score or simply play one round for best score.

There were numerous moments of laughter and excitement in each round. We had a blast playing. It’s basically a trick-taking card game, with little twists and surprises at each turn. Think of spades... if spades was fun! (Yes, Spades fans, I am just kidding).

This game is very basic. So basic you can make it with a common deck of cards (not recommended). You have 52 cards, 2 thru Ace, in four ‘suits’ (not clubs, spades, hearts or diamonds though), and then you have 4 additional ‘special’ cards. That is it. How they were able to invent such a fun, strategic game is beyond me!

Downtime:
Minimal. If you go out first (get rid of all your cards), you will have to wait for others to go out. That and waiting for the deck to get shuffled and re-dealt is the only down time.

Analysis Paralysis:
Some. This is a great, strategic card game. But hopefully you will have a game plan in mind. Even the best laid plans get twisted though, and a quick re-strategizing is commonly called for... which may cause a moment of paralysis.

Game Length:
Perfect. No set-up, no take down, and you can choose how long you play (by setting winning score required). It works great as a filler, and works great as an all night game.

Finish:
Exciting. It’s usually a shock when someone goes out. It’s an even bigger shock when a team goes out first and second for a huge score bonus. If someone reaches their predicted ‘Tichu’ or ‘Grand Tichu’... great fun! Heck, the other team has great fun if their opponent fails to make their prediction, causing a huge decrease in score. The end of each round is the most exciting - and the finish of the game can be exhilarating or a struggle, depending on where your team sits on the scoreboard.

Pros:
Quick set-up and take down
Amazingly fun and interactive
Plays quickly
Easy to teach and understand
Small box, easy for transport

Cons:
Directions that come with game
Chinese style font used makes the 2 and the 7 very similar
Nothing else!

Overall:
If you couldn’t tell by now, I love this game. I had heard others rant how great the game is, and it totally lived up to the hype and then some. I can’t wait to teach my non-gaming family, as this will be a game they can get into.

I was able to teach my youngest boy (9) who seemed to pick it up fairly quick, but I don’t know if younger kids will be able to understand the different strategies. But I would still consider this a good family game.

I give Tichu a 10 out of 10 (yes, VERY rare for me)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds wonderful! But I live in a smaller town and there are no game groups here, so I really don't have anyone to teach me the game firsthand. Is there an online source with easy to understand rules? A video would be excellent!

Great review, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Crews
United States
Carterville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jrbentley wrote:
This sounds wonderful! But I live in a smaller town and there are no game groups here, so I really don't have anyone to teach me the game firsthand. Is there an online source with easy to understand rules? A video would be excellent!

Great review, thanks!

The iPhone app is excellent (if you have an iPhone of course)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chun Ping
Singapore
Portland
OREGON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
try the iphone app if u can get access to it. it's great to learn and play there! i got hooked on it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rstruve wrote:
Downtime:
Minimal. If you go out first (get rid of all your cards), you will have to wait for others to go out. That and waiting for the deck to get shuffled and re-dealt is the only down time.

The current version in most locales I think comes with two decks of different colored backs. 1st player out shuffles the deck not in use, which both reduces wait time for the 1st player out, and reduces wait time for everyone when the hand is over.

rstruve wrote:
Cons:
Chinese style font used makes the 2 and the 7 very similar

Huh. I never noticed that.

jrbentley wrote:

Yes, there are a couple videos. See the video section. There are also better rulesets. Look in the files section. Or you can do like so many people, and just try to read the rules, and then ask the same questions everyone else does. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Struve
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Believe me, I tried the videos too! While they were helpful, none of them could solve all of our questions.

I will admit, I did not look through the files to find a better ruleset (excellent suggestion).

Yeah, we use both decks to speed up the game also. I was basically just trying to point out how little downtime this game has... had to come up with some kind of downtime, didn't I?!

As mentioned, the IPhone application is very nice (a friend has it on her ITab). In fact, it cleared up two minor rules we were not even aware of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.