Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ian o
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age is a game of worker placement, resource collection, and civilization building. There are many other games with these same ideas. So is Stone Age special, or is it just another run of the mill Eurogame designed to bore your pants off? Let's find out, shall we?
Looking into the game mechanics without going into too much depth or without sinking into a game, Stone Age may seem rather bland and perfunctory. Your simply placing workers where they’re needed and collecting the resources. Can it really be all that exciting?
But when you do comb through the mechanics a little more and actually involve yourself with a full gaming experience, the attraction of Stone Age is very noticeable. Its a constant struggle for balance between maintaining resources and going for the big points. The placement of the workers also feels very thematic and can be quite competitive as players are all clamouring for the same crucial spots.
Stone Age is a game with features you've probably seen before including worker placement, rolling dice for resources, and scoring points around the track. But its the way in which these elements combine and how the prehistoric theme plays so nicely into each of them which makes Stone Age such a treat to play.

Gameplay

In Stone Age, each player plays as a tribe of six hunter/gatherers. Each round, they distribute these six players in different areas around the board. Some areas allow them to try to collect resources such as food, stone and wood. Other areas allow them to gain other advantages like the tool hut or the infamous "love shack" where two of your people go in, and yada yada yada, nine months later there's a new tribe member. (And yes, I just yada yada'd sex).
Gaining resources requires you to roll the same number of dice as you have people working in that area. Therefore if you have 3 people mining for gold, you roll three dice. You then add the total on the dice and divide by a certain amount. This allows the resources to be limited and cause certain ones like gold to be more valuable than others.
So as players are collecting food and resources, building tools, and making babies, they eventually have to think about trying to win the game. So what do these resources ultimately do? Well, they can be used to either buy development cards and also to buy huts, both of which will score points for you in many varied and interesting ways. The fact that here are many different dev cards and types of huts gives the gave a lot of flavour and prevents it from devolving into monotony.
But there's a catch. You need to feed your people! So players are constantly having to find a balance between building their tribes while also preventing them from starving. Therefore food collection is very important. Players can also use their workers to build wheat farms which help them to feed themselves as well. How each player manages to fit in their food acquisitions into their strategies is crucial to the game.

Components

Let's talk about the board first, because it board is simply amazing. It has some of the best game board artwork I have ever seen. The artwork really sets the scene well, blending the gameplay details the board needs with picturesque scenery. The resources areas and main huts are all incorporated flawlessly into a prehistoric setting. Each player also gets their individual board which depicts the campfires of their own tribes.
This amazing artwork is also reflected in the hut tiles and development cards, and the actual bits and pieces also live up to this fantastic quality. The caveman meeples are pretty cool but the resource bits are just great. The gold actually look like gold bars, the stones look like stone, the wood looks like lumber. It all adds up to a beautiful bit of packaging.

Conclusion

On the surface Stone Age may seem to be nothing but tribal tedium where everyone tries to place their workers in the same spot, roll some dice, and simply try to build up as many points as they can. It does have the potential to be stuck in an evolutionary rut where each player is just going through the motions.
Yet even though it teeters on this tedium, it doesn't ever get there. Stone as is a fresh and exciting game and stays fresh and exciting by offering a variety of different huts and development cards to score with, providing a really cool dice-rolling mechanic to gather resources, and providing the challenge of balancing your victory run with the constant demand of feeding your people (which is much less annoying than you may think it to be). At the end of a game of Stone Age, you will be left satisfied with a fun, exciting game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to still hear positive praise for this game. It's still one of my most played games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Always a pleasant game to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Glisson
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
www.scottsigler.com/gfl
badge
I'm gonna keep signing my posts so just let it go already.
mbmbmbmbmb
just picked this up last weekend and have one play so far. It doesn't take long to see the replayability and fun in this title and why it is so popular. Although there is dice it doesn't feel very random or luck based. Especially when the tools are there to offset your poor rolls. Definitely going to get a lot of rotation on my game table.

Kraken Fan #69
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sitz
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RedArmyIan wrote:
At the end of a game of Stone Age, you will be left satisfied with a fun, exciting game.

I've played about 5-10 games of Stone Age, but fun and exciting are two words I've never used to describe it, even when I win.

I'm still trying to see the appeal.

What makes it fun?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age is like sex. If you're not having fun you're not doin' it right...cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ian o
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jexik wrote:
RedArmyIan wrote:
At the end of a game of Stone Age, you will be left satisfied with a fun, exciting game.

I've played about 5-10 games of Stone Age, but fun and exciting are two words I've never used to describe it, even when I win.

What makes it fun?

Why would you play 10 games of it if you don't find it fun?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Conde
msg tools
Jexik wrote:
RedArmyIan wrote:

What makes it fun?

The fun is in the overlapping systems of play and their interaction. The worker placement, dice rolling, card collecting and hut building all interact in such a way that there is no one path to victory, but everything can be productive and if done properly. Blocking key opponent targets is rewarded as well and abilities to gather are finite, so there is high player interaction. Finally the food issue encourages a balance in that food in and of itself will not give you victory points, or the ability to purchase huts/cards, but the lack of food will hurt you. So you need to use just enough farmers/hunters to maintain your people without spending too many people on it.

It's a game of fine balance with some luck and medium player interaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Weed
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
how sweet the sound...
badge
Fear The Hat !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
markgravitygood wrote:
Stone Age is like sex. If you're not having fun you're not doin' it right...cool

Don't know about that, but it is a fun game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sitz
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RedArmyIan wrote:
Jexik wrote:
RedArmyIan wrote:

What makes it fun?

Why would you play 10 games of it if you don't find it fun?

Because I'm around other people who are trying to find a game for our number of players and I'll often go along.

Especially in the case of Stone Age, where I see that lots of other people like it and find it fun, I think there must be something I missed in my first two plays.

And I never find it. There's nothing here. I was attracted to the title of this review because I expected to find someone else who realized how tedious and un fun this game is.

It's not that it's even a bad game, I just don't see how it's a game that people label as great and wanting to play again. I can't imagine a situation where I'd suggest it. Every game is trading a few differently colored blocks for victory points (and cards- which also give victory points) for an agreeable amount of time until someone finds out that they did it slightly more efficiently than everyone else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wrote:
Every game is trading a few differently colored blocks for victory points (and cards- which also give victory points) for an agreeable amount of time until someone finds out that they did it slightly more efficiently than everyone else.

Yah, we call that "eurogaming", the bloody hell scourge of boardgaming nowadays. It used to be 'fun' and 'innovative', but now it's just considered a transitional stage we had to go through to get to far more interesting aspects of gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a good game. Highly rated. Simple to learn. Fun. 'Nough said
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anjohl wrote:
markgravitygood wrote:
wrote:
Every game is trading a few differently colored blocks for victory points (and cards- which also give victory points) for an agreeable amount of time until someone finds out that they did it slightly more efficiently than everyone else.

Yah, we call that "eurogaming", the bloody hell scourge of boardgaming nowadays. It used to be 'fun' and 'innovative', but now it's just considered a transitional stage we had to go through to get to far more interesting aspects of gaming.

So what's next?

Long pause. Clearly the "more interesting aspects of gaming" have not been invented yet. Hope I will still be around to play them when they are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.