e24ohm e24ohm
msg tools
Need some helping finding a game similar to the following:

I have been playing ASL, and Lock n’ Load; however, I am looking for something that has the same physical format, but with detail paying attention to ammo, weapons and armor set in a modern environment.

I am envisioning something that would be similar to MechWarrior 2nd edition, Cry Havoc, ASL and Lock N’ Load – all rolled into one game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One older game that did man-to-man modern combat was Firepower.

Worthington Games are soon going to be publishing Boots on the Ground, which is a game about modern warfare vs. insurgents. Lock and Load is doing a game called Space Infantry which is man-to-man (not modern I know).

You might want to also look at Lock 'n Load Tactical: Day of Heroes. Although this is squad level rather than individual soldiers, it's set in 1990's Mogadishu.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
e24ohm e24ohm
msg tools
Kent - Thanks for the links, and info. In addition, thank you for mentioning A Day of Heroes. In fact, I already own a copy of this, and it was this game, which made me think of my question.

Firepower does look neat and exciting - and even better since it was made by (AH).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
Look to the miniatures world.
Ambush Alley
Chain Reaction 3.0
FNG: Unconventional Warfare
FNG
Troops, Weapons & Tactics (WWII, but scales forward easily)
Stargrunt II (sci-fi, but really a 20th century game in sci-fi clothing. Great tactical set of rules)
Fast and Dirty (Same deal, sci-fi appearance but works well for moderns)
The Sharp End
Combat Zone (Another excellent set of modern skirmish rules masquerading as sci-fi...detecting the trend yet? )
Striker (Another excellent set of 'sci-fi' rules. Seems that most good sci-fi rules work reasonably well for modern era combat if you drop the window dressing and use the stats that match up to modern weapons.)
Flying Lead (Haven't played these, but I like the Song Of Blades and Heroes system they are based on)

You don't have to go hog wild into miniatures to play these games. Buy some inexpensive plastic figures, print out some of the wide range of paper buildings available on the internet, buy a bag of lichen to use for woods, or just use cut out shapes of green towel to represent woods and your away.
Or, you can print up some paper counters and maps and play that way.

There isn't much out there in the boardgame world at the single man level these days. Firepower is about the only one I can think of and it's long OOP. Been watching Boots on the Ground myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
e24ohm e24ohm
msg tools
Thanks for the links...I did find Sniper; however, that is out of print as well.

Question - do you folks know what the hex grid scale was of Firepower?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gates
United States
Essex
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
e24ohm wrote:
Thanks for the links...I did find Sniper; however, that is out of print as well.

Question - do you folks know what the hex grid scale was of Firepower?

Each hex represents five yards; each elevation level is one yard. Each turn represents 30 seconds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.