Subject: Too Long Coming to NOT Try Again rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Morgan Rose

Cincinnati
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I bought Captain Treasure Boots some 6 years ago as a lark while at Origins (a game convention in Columbus, Ohio, USA). Alas, it never found the table and was soon buried.

In a recent move I discovered the envelope and couldn't help making a greater effort to get it onto a table. We played with four, made somewhat sluggish by one of our players having to continually pause to help another table with this and that, so our time frame and impatience levels were a bit stretched.

The game played as others have described; a high-energy trash-talking dice-game that awards points in fits and spurts. The ability of a player halfway across the board to get off a lucky shot when you had no rum made planning difficult. And more than once two players devolved into trading treasures back-and-forth repeatedly.

These observations being said, we enjoyed the "bashing" we gave each other and thought the mechanics nice in their simplicity. Would I fight to get it onto a table again? As is...probably no. But here are a few suggestions our crew offered to 1) speed it up; 2) increase the strategy and 3) downplay a few oddities:

Set-up the game with each player rolling 2 die and placing treasure as described in the rules (before any turns or placing ships). The game needs to start with more already on the board to get things moving.

A player with no treasure automatically gets the 2 die sailing bonus. With no cargo, why should they be slow?

And finally, a change to combat. When a player fires at another who is not in an adjacent square (meaning, ignore this rule if adjacent), the most treasure they can steal is 2. The defeated player still goes to port, but any other treasure (more than 2) simply sits in the water to be picked up by whomever gets there first.

With these simple additions, I am going to try the game again and see if it plays faster and with a less "trading" of positions. If anyone else sees fit to give them a go, please let me know.

Good shootingarrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Blanco
United States
Shelbyville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried this for the first time to tonight, and I agree that it needs to be sped up. We played that, if there were no treasures out, we rolled three times (not counting roles that didn't place treasures) until there were three treasures out. That helped, and I wonder if starting each player with a white pearl "wild" wouldn't be a bad idea either, just to goose the game a bit. We only played to 15 points in a three player game (rules recommend 20) and even with all the changes, the game felt a touch too long. Decent fun, but you want things to happen during your turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.