Subject: Rule clarification, please... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
D Newhook
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Question 1) can a player claim the "starting player/food" action if they already have the starting player token? And 2) when playing with the seasons variant, would minus 1 stone (or any other resource) apply to each stone action on the board, or just minus one stone from the first stone action and regular amount on the second action card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Yes, definitely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get up, get up, get up, get down, fall over.
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DNewhook wrote:
Question 1) can a player claim the "starting player/food" action if they already have the starting player token?

The AND/OR spaces allow you to take:
- The first action without the second (when you do not want to or can not take the second).
- The second action without the first (when you do not want to or can not take the first).
- Both actions in any order.

The AFTER/ALSO spaces allow you to take:
- The first action without the second (when you do not want to or can not take the second).
- The first action, then the second.

This means that if you can not take the first action on an AFTER/ALSO, you can not take the space.

However, if you can not take the first action on an AND/OR space, you can still take the space so long as you can take the second action.

Alles klar?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Newhook
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
The starting player action on the family version is "starting player AND food." It is unique. I don't believe that happens on any other action space. It is not an "and/or", or "after/also" case as you've mentioned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Meeks
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can always take the starting player action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DNewhook wrote:
The starting player action on the family version is "starting player AND food." It is unique. I don't believe that happens on any other action space. It is not an "and/or", or "after/also" case as you've mentioned.
Woah! First time I have even seen that (shows how often I play the family game).

I am still going to say yes, because you will be able to hold on to the start player marker and still be able to be starting player next turn. You are only forbidden from taking spaces where you can not take the action.

It is worth retitling your original post (which is also the title of the thread) to something more meaningful so this question stands out in the rules forum. Something like "Start player in family game is AND, not AND/OR - does this make a difference?" would be a really descriptive name for the thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene van der Pijll
Netherlands
Leidschendam
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boltongeordie wrote:
I am still going to say yes, because you will be able to hold on to the start player marker and still be able to be starting player next turn. You are only forbidden from taking spaces where you can not take the action.

Agree. There's an unofficial ruling in the Unofficial Agricola Compendium that agrees with this:

"You can use this action space to become the new starting player even if you already are, without playing a minor improvement."

This is for the non-family game, but the action space of the family game works the same way, if you're already start player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pijll wrote:
Agree. There's an unofficial ruling in the Unofficial Agricola Compendium that agrees with this:
Thanks. I had a search through but I only found reference to the non-family game. Should have read the reference even so. *facepalm*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Leong Yeo
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Uncle
badge
小富靠勤,中富靠智,大富靠德。
mbmbmbmbmb
DNewhook wrote:
Question 1) can a player claim the "starting player/food" action if they already have the starting player token? And 2) when playing with the seasons variant, would minus 1 stone (or any other resource) apply to each stone action on the board, or just minus one stone from the first stone action and regular amount on the second action card?

Nobody seemed to have answered your second question there.

With the Through the Seasons variant, when it says add 1 more (or fewer) resource, you need to do so for every resource accumulating action space. For your stone example, both stone action spaces will be affected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.