Dagon -
United States
milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ok so I think I know how this will turn out from a strictly RAW standpoint but it still seems goofy enough to warrant further questions. When I reveal the 4th area of the first quest it calls for the placement of Narthak the giant and 2 un-named master manticores but the game only contains 1 master manticore figure. After reading the rulebook I think that means that I can place 1 master manticore in one of the 2 spawn points in that room but I'm doubting that assumption because I cannot see any tactical advantage to either of the manticore spawns because it's a symmetrical room and the spawns are equidistant from the door. The whole process of choosing one over the other seems irrelevant to me. I hate stupid rules but I love this game so I'm hoping that I just missed some rule regarding figure substitution in the boss room but I know that's a bit of a long shot. Although I'm normally against house rules I am willing to go against RAW on this one so I need opinions on how to proceed. How does everyone else handle this situation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In this particular instance, there is an 'insert' that clarifies the JitD Quests
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/descent/descen...

"Area 4: Substitute a normal manticore figure for one of the two Master manticores called for in this room. The normal manticore figure still uses the stats of a Master manticore. "

you will also need the FAQ http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/descent/faq/de...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dagon -
United States
milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks minedog3, that was quick, well referenced and exactly what I wanted to hear. If that's not worth some gold I don't know what is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wardell
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
May 25
badge
I think you ought to know I'm feeling very depressed.
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the quests were written before they finalized the monster count, which is why there are a few quests that use too many monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Khedron wrote:
I believe the quests were written before they finalized the monster count, which is why there are a few quests that use too many monsters.

I've heard that, too. As a rule of thumb, if a single room all by itself asks you for more of a given figure than the game provides, it's probably a typo. All such mistakes I'm aware of were errata'd to say "use a replacement figure as a stand in for this one."

If you run out of figures of a certain type because you've been spawning too many or because the heroes have been opening new doors at a ridiculous pace, then you're looking at the whole "can't place more than you have" situation. The good news is if you've really got that many monsters on the board, the heroes are probably going to have their work cut out for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.