Subject: My mat stinks - literally! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Cox
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just got a mat from ThoughtHammer. Took the shrink-wrap off and the odor overwhelmed me. It smells really bad. May be whatever it is they put on it to make the design.

Anyone know if it is safe to wash it? I have to keep it outside or it stinks up the entire house. Garage stinks now but that will have to do as it smells too bad to use it.

Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Meeks
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try putting it into a box or bag with an odor eater or dryer sheet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cox
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I will try that. Thanks!

Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it a musty smell or a plastic/chemical smell?

If its plastic smell then if it doesnt have any paper attatched, just wash and let air out a few days.

If its a musty smell thats a little tougher to get rid of. I believe the method is to dry the piece out with moisture absorbers and/or rice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau No last name
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I've got the same problem with a bunch of mats from TSR that I bought on ebay, once the shrink wrap was off the smell came out. I kept walking by the area they were and thinking "what is that smell, it's like someone with body odor was just sitting there." Finally figured out it was the mats.

Glad to see some of the suggestions as to how to try to get rid of that smell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I recall it all of the mats stank. It is not necessarily related to the age of the mats or how they have been stored.

All of the local players just threw them away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So it is the original TSR mats that are the problem? What are they made of? cardstock or plastic/vinyl?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Burlap? Hemp?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxime Yazz
Canada
Qu├ębec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same experience. I'll try and do what you guys have suggested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Some sort of rough and/or coarse cloth? You are kidding right?

If it really is then the problem could be in how it was cured, if any, or even the stuff its made from. It could even be a repeat of an older problem where the cloth is reacing badly to the plastic its contained in.

See one of my early forum posts on how the packing material for Star Frontiers minis is corroding the figures sealed in the box.

martimer wrote:
Burlap? Hemp?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cox
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It is some sort of cloth. Looks like they painted the stuff on it. I have had it in a bag with some dryer towels. I will take it out tonight and see how it is. I'll snap some pictures if anyone is curious. I got the Amazon one as they apparently only had 1.

Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Certainly curious what it looks like as never saw them on the shelves originally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cox
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Here is a poor picture of it. The beige color is the cloth, the white is the paint or whatever they put on it for the images.

I will take a better one tonight. Any way, I emailed SFR, Inc and Chuck replied:
Chuck Pint wrote:
Those are left over from TSR. I don't think they will stand up to washing. When I got my first ones, after "airing out" for a week in the outside shed, they were fine. That's about all I can suggest at this point.

I guess the good news is that they are still sealed up really well. Those are about 13 years old at this point.

So, I am letting it air out in my garage some more. It was not as bad when I took it out of the bag last night. Hopefully a week in my garage will work fine.

Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Koziatek
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Back when I was a rep SFR shipped me a kit with a case of mats. I reported back when that they all stank so bad noone would take them.

Apparently, its whatever they are made of just 'fermented' into that vile smell, and SFR was shipping them out freely. So, its not just yours. Now as to how to rid of the smell, tossing them was a final solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Airing them out might have fixed them. If it was a reaction with the packaging then once out of the box they would stop reacting.

It could have also been a mold infection on the cloth used. In which case its unfortunately hard to completely eradicate. But can be countered. Mold though usually occurs with moisture.

Moisture absorbers and air freshers would be the first options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Wiggs
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
Stealth7 wrote:
Back when I was a rep SFR shipped me a kit with a case of mats. I reported back when that they all stank so bad noone would take them.

Apparently, its whatever they are made of just 'fermented' into that vile smell, and SFR was shipping them out freely. So, its not just yours. Now as to how to rid of the smell, tossing them was a final solution.
I'm ashamed to say that it was probably me who shipped it, but I was entirely unaware of any stinky issues! These are really old from the TSR days and I'm down to less than 40, maybe its time to take them to a recycling plant and just let their memory fade into the past...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.