Popular Tags: [View All]
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Who's the master?
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got back from a whirlwind 10 day/13 state/3,100 mile vacation that took us to -- among other places -- King's Mountain Battlefield, Cowpens National Battlefield, George Rogers Clark National Historical Park, and Congaree National Park (Francis Marion used to maneuver here). George Rogers is in Vincennes, Indiana. Congarees is near Columbia, SC. The other two are also in South Carolina, west of Charlotte, NC.

I knew generalities about Clark, but not the overall impact he had on the war. Without him, the Big 10-region states would be part of Canada, and the British would have pushed from the West and put us in a 3-front war.

I loved chatting with the park rangers and during the discussion, I mentioned my favorite board game and the George Rogers Clark card and the impact it has on the game.

And in case you have wondered why Ft. Detroit isn't winter quarters, it is because the British recruited heavily from the regional Native American tribes and the local French Canadians. Both were sent home for the winter to take care of hunting. That's pretty much the definition of winter attrition in the game.

Many kudos to Mark Herman for including this important and often overlooked aspect of the American Revolution in Washington's War.

And if any of you get a chance, you should visit these parks (as well as Guilford, Saratoga, Yorktown, and Ticonderoga). They are very informative -- and seeing the ground where these battles took place makes you look at your games in a whole new light.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana R.
United States
Claremont
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Devotium Popcornicus
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:
And if any of you get a chance, you should visit these parks (as well as Guilford, Saratoga, Yorktown, and Ticonderoga). They are very informative -- and seeing the ground where these battles took place makes you look at your games in a whole new light.

Sounds like a great trip. To expand on what I quoted of yours I would suggest going when a reenactment is taking place. Usually there are 2 big events planned for the year one with Revolutionary War participants and another for the French and Indian War. But the smaller ones are nice even with the smaller 'battles'. And then by all means walk the camp and look around...ask questions...learn and perhaps accept the King's shilling if offered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Quote:
...Without him, the Big 10-region states would be part of Canada...

You folks don't know what you're missing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Who's the master?
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Capt_S wrote:
Quote:

You can have the Big 10 conference (Go Big XII!), but you can't have Da Bears and Chicago-style pizza! Gotta go to war for that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Duensing
United States
Bartlett
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:
Capt_S wrote:
Quote:

You can have the Big 10 conference (Go Big XII!), but you can't have Da Bears and Chicago-style pizza! Gotta go to war for that!

I'm from Chicago. My brother lives in California. Their "Chicago Style" pizza is a joke....not even close to what real Chicago style pizza is--they don't have a clue.

Real Chicago Style pizza rules...so do the Bears....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Who's the master?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chicago-style pizza made in California??!?

Get a rope!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.