Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to break this game out with my 10-year old son tonight. He's a fairly savvy gamer for that age. He's won Settlers before, and enjoys Stone Age.

However, I don't want to overwhelm him with options the first couple of times we play. He's been looking forward to playing this for some time now.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Brokaw
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
It's not a damn moped!
mbmbmbmbmb
Leaving out the cards is a great way to learn the mechanics. It definitely won't break the game. (It is more _FUN_ with the cards though!)

Two of the other more "sophisticated" aspects of the game:

Using other people's links for deliveries:
You might also consider leaving out this rule at first. It will eliminate some of the competition and make it easier to focus on building a good network.

Investing earlier than you are ready for:
Taking on loans to invest in your network and engine is very important in this game. You will not win making 1 point deliveries when your opponent is making 3 or more point deliveries, etc. You can't dumb this one down though. Managing your investment level is the heart of this game. Just be sure to explain that 3-pt deliveries are 3x better than 1-pt deliveries. It's good to get a few 1-pt deliveries lined up in your network early, but you should immediately start looking for where you can deliver 2's... then where you can deliver 3's... etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eekamouse wrote:
I'm going to break this game out with my 10-year old son tonight. He's a fairly savvy gamer for that age. He's won Settlers before, and enjoys Stone Age.

However, I don't want to overwhelm him with options the first couple of times we play. He's been looking forward to playing this for some time now.

Thanks!

yeah taking out the cards does not break the game, in fact the mexico map didn't originally come with any cards.

there are 2 side effects of taking out the cards though.
Money will be tighter and the auction will be close to pointless.
perhaps if you remove the cards, just remove the auction altogether until he has a couple games under his belt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great! Thanks for the feedback!

If we take out the auction, do we just rotate who is the First Player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shouldn't matter too much

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Edit: get rid of the auction for the first game, if it's just the two of you.

As for the cards, I'd put all the route cards up to the side as extra points.

Mostly, the early difficulties of this game come from managing your debt - and the route cards help to compensate for that.

Of course, none of this is as difficult as Age of Steam.

I consider this game to be one more of enjoyment than of competition, exactly. Help your son build his routes, don't focus on winning so much. In the end, it will feel a bit like a miniature railroad you've built together.

Enjoy the experience, but my suggestion is to simply keep all the route cards available at the get-go, and throw out the rest.

Edit again: for the first game, you might even want to consider having both players start out with 5k, no loans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blueatheart wrote:
Edit: get rid of the auction for the first game, if it's just the two of you.

As for the cards, I'd put all the route cards up to the side as extra points.

Mostly, the early difficulties of this game come from managing your debt - and the route cards help to compensate for that.

Of course, none of this is as difficult as Age of Steam.

I consider this game to be one more of enjoyment than of competition, exactly. Help your son build his routes, don't focus on winning so much. In the end, it will feel a bit like a miniature railroad you've built together.

Enjoy the experience, but my suggestion is to simply keep all the route cards available at the get-go, and throw out the rest.

Edit again: for the first game, you might even want to consider having both players start out with 5k, no loans.

Ya, we kept all the route cards available. I thought it was considered a variant to shuffle them in.

We just took turns being the first player for each turn. We started off with zero money and it went fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
good to hear. who won?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abodi wrote:
good to hear. who won?

I did. He played well. Just some "loan mismanagement". He had fun though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.