Popular Tags: [View All]
Kyle
United States
Lincoln
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I've recently come across both Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game and Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game. I've had a great deal of fun playing both of them.

How many other games like these are there? I've never experienced a board game that I could 'play against the game'.

The cooperative element isn't as important to me as the solo play element is.

My experience with board games is rather limited, and it's stilted towards competitive games. Risk, the Gamemaster Series, and other similar games are the largest portion of my BG experience.

The thematic elements aren't very important to me. I'm more concerned with effective gameplay.

So... what cool solo BG's are out there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sheely
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'ld say most of the wargames out there can be played solo - and many are designed specifically that way.

A Victory Denied: Crisis at Smolensk, July-September, 1941 is a good 1 or two player.
Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001 – ? is a new one with a dedicated solo option.
Astra Titanus is a newish (cheaper) solo game from Victory point games. I just got it in the mail so I can't say anything else.

Tons of options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
There are more on the wargaming side of things, but Arkham Horror has worked very well for me as a solo game. Runebound requires a little adjustment, but can be entertaining (I prefer it solo to playing with other people, in fact!)

A couple of dedicated solo wargames of note, which aren't particularly difficult to play are D-Day at Omaha Beach and Field Commander: Alexander, (the latter is indeed very easy to play).

Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001 – ? also has a solo option.

Agricola, Le Havre and At the Gates of Loyang can be played solo, but I don't really recommend them as solo game.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Wiles
United States
Oakland
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might check out this geeklist: SoloPlay Variants Posted on the Geek

I've been having fun with Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game
I also play Pandemic solo quite a bit and really enjoy it.

If you want to venture down the dark road of print-and-play, there are a large number of quality solo games available

Zombie in my Pocket
Pocket Civ
Free Trader

and many more
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Gordonsville
Virginia
flag msg tools
While primarily used for killing vampires, a wooden stake to the heart is also highly effective against most other opponents.
badge
Mr. Spacely was one crooked son of a bitch and I can prove it.
mbmbmbmbmb
As stated previously, most games can be played solo. What matters is whether they are enjoyable solo!

I don't find games that require a Game Master to be very enjoyable solo so I wouldn't suggest Descent or Hero Quest type games.

Too many "hidden" cards can ruin a games solitaire playability as well (Poker, Magic)

Games that are very similar to Castle Ravenloft (IMO) are Sorcerer's Cave and Mutant Chronicles: Siege of the Citadel. Both very enjoyable solo.

Robert
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry
United States
carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Dixit solo is a little tricky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Castle Panic is fun solo in a very simple, tower defense way. (it's multiplayer also, semi-coop/coop)

Dungeon Twister 2: Prison has a solo AI that has gotten rave reviews.
(it's 2-player too)

Victory Point Games put out a lot of games specifically designed for solo play. Of those I think Nemo's War has gotten a lot of buzz, and they just came out with Legions of Darkness with a D&D theme. They have some really original and creative themes for some of their games like Disaster on Everest and Circus Train (First Edition).

And if you want to get all wargamey there's the Field Commander series designed specifically for solo play:
Field Commander: Rommel
Field Commander: Alexander
Field Commander: Napoleon
(Genghis Kahn is apparently up next!!! )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
mbmbmbmbmb
I play a few games solo... With young kids and a tired wife, I find myself playing something at 10pm over a cup of coffee to unwind....

Lately I've enjoyed:

Space Hulk: death Angel card game
Thunderstone
Isle of Dr. Necreaux
Agricola
Oceania
Lord of the Rings coop

Slew of decent print and play games as well:
Utopia Engine
D-Day Dice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
ThatFedoraGuy wrote:
...I find myself playing something at 10pm over a cup of coffee to unwind....

wow
And what time do you go to bed, 4 AM?
I'm not sure I could even get to sleep at all that night if I drank coffee at 10 PM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
DO NOT CLICK HERE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Always alone... the definitive list of single player games. has a lot of solo games listed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eva
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Ghost stories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Lincoln
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Awesome stuff! Thanks for the responses. I haven't had the time check all these games, but I'll try.

I'm not sure I made it clear in my original post but, I'm looking more for games that are designed as a solo game. I know I can play Risk and Monopoly as solo games, but that's no fun because they're not designed that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
nyjastul69 wrote:
I'm not sure I made it clear in my original post but, I'm looking more for games that are designed as a solo game. I know I can play Risk and Monopoly as solo games, but that's no fun because they're not designed that way.

You probably realize this, but there are (at least) five different kinds of "solo" games:

1. Strictly solo by design
2. Cooperative and work great solo (you don't have to pretend to be multiple players). Example: Vanished Planet
3. Cooperative but you have to pretend to be multiple players. Example: Red November
4. Competitive but you just play one side, and try to get your highest score. Example: Agricola
5. Competitive but you have to pretend to be multiple players

You described #5, and I agree that it is entirely unsatisfying, and really doesn't even count as a solo game. Personally I'm not fond of #4 or #3 either, although they can be ok. I would recommend that you remain open to #2, since they really can play just as well solo as with multiple players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Lincoln
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
nyjastul69 wrote:

You probably realize this, but there are (at least) five different kinds of "solo" games:

2. Cooperative and work great solo (you don't have to pretend to be multiple players). Example: Vanished Planet
3. Cooperative but you have to pretend to be multiple players. Example: Red November
4. Competitive but you just play one side, and try to get your highest score. Example: Agricola

You described #5, and I agree that it is entirely unsatisfying, and really doesn't even count as a solo game. Personally I'm not fond of #4 or #3 either, although they can be ok. I would recommend that you remain open to #2, since they really can play just as well solo as with multiple players.

To be honest, I did not realize all of that.

Yeah, the Risk/Monopoly statement might have been too much. I do like Risk though. devil I think I'm interested in #1 mostly.

Thanks for clarifying what I meant. I've got some checking to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
I've only played Le Havre solo before. It was interesting if you like that game, but at the same time, I think it could get really boring really quickly. It's not really playing against the game, just seeing what kind of score you can get each time. Fun to try once, but I haven't been close to tempted to trying it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Wiles
United States
Oakland
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:

I might suggest a 6th type. These are competitive games whose rules have been fundamentally altered to make it a solo game by design. The variants listed in the geeklist that I posted (SoloPlay Variants Posted on the Geek) follow this philosophy. There he mentions that

GameRulesforOne wrote:
The goals set for these variants are not to score the highest possible score ever but to beat the game design.

So you are not just playing Tichu (as an example) multihanded, you are playing a variant that keeps the flavor of the original game but is designed to be played solo against the game system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Wiles
United States
Oakland
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nyjastul69 wrote:
peakhope wrote:

To be honest, I did not realize all of that.

Yeah, the Risk/Monopoly statement might have been too much. I do like Risk though. devil I think I'm interested in #1 mostly.

Thanks for clarifying what I meant. I've got some checking to do.

Strictly speaking, the two games you referred to at the beginning (Ravenloft and Wrath of Ashardalon) are type 2. They aren't strictly solo games. Doing a quick search, there aren't really very many strictly solo games on the market that are not war games. As mentioned before, there are a lot more print and play choices, though. (turn to the dark side!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Lincoln
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Strictly speaking you are correct. I think I created a monster.

It is a good monster though. At least I'm learning an assload about BG's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
nyjastul69 wrote:

You're missing a type, b/c Dungeon Twister 2: Prison doesn't fit into any of your categories. It's competitive, but has a solo-AI. So although it was originally designed as a 2-player, a lot of work by the designer has gone into an AI system that leads to fulfilling solo play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy: The Gathering Storm is a decent solo game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"This is no time to be making new enemies." --Voltaire
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a recent GeekList full of great solo board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Schmidt

Ashburn
Virginia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some card games to consider:

Frontline: D-Day
The Kaiser's Pirates
War for Edaðh

as well as the upcoming The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

My favorite solo gaming is Memoir '44 and the soloplay variants. But M44 is pretty much in the #5 category (have to pretend to be 2 players). I also do various games I have not been able to play much multiplayer the #5 "schizolo" route(Colonia, Shogun, Around the World in 80 Days, Jamaica, Nautilus, Thebes) - but only every once in a while to refresh on rules and get it off the shelf and check it out.

SoloPlay Variants Posted on the Geek

are excellent, and I have enjoyed the El Grande, Power Grid, Stone Age and Alhambra variants there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.