Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex C
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got to thinking today -> After how many plays do I consider a game to be a good purchase? Then, I thought that the Plays to Price ratio is a better way to measure this (I figure most of you think this way also). I also started thinking about this (Play)Price) ratio against avg length of one play, but figured that's too complicated for a casual discussion. So, what's that magic ratio that makes you think you've gotten your money's worth out of a game? 1:5? 1:2? 1:1.618? (I kid). I feel like if I get a game down to where I've payed less than $3 per play, then its a pretty good deal. Any thoughts?

Edits due to smiley face on colon Ps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well IMO, one good play and the game has usually been worth it. The saddest aspect of collecting is that one often ends up with a number of unplayed titles; but unplayed is way better than one bad play.

I cannot equate number of plays directly to value for money, because it's a matter of quality. Some games I own have been played, on average, once every three years; that doesn't make them bad investments. It's simply not that easy to get the right conditions for some games to be played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
I don't think it's a terribly valuable way of measuring
the value a game brings to me.

First, the games I have which cost the most, often
require such high playing time that I wouldn't want
to play them too often.

Then, the more I play something, the less dear it is
to me - I'd rather have many games which I play seldomly,
than one which took all my time - clearly, that less desirable
option would create an overall inflated value via this scheme,
which is obviously insufficient for that reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Bullseye
United States
Brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on how long the game is, too. One play of Age of Steam = 4-5 plays of RtfG (assuming you enjoy both equally).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never used dollars per play as a measure of a game's quality per se, but I occasionally look over my collection and either play or sell/trade games with high "costs" in dollars/play/year. There are some games I hang on to despite not playing them much, but generally, I take lack of play as a sign that I really just don't like a game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
I've also thought about this in some detail, but I have a different method. I apply the arcade principle, or, if you went to a pay-per-hour board game arcade how much might I be willing to pay out for a game. So first, lets see how many "yuks" we get out of a game...

I first take the length of the game and multiply it by the number of players.

Or, in other words, lets say I play two six player games of Here I Stand which each take 7 hours. Thats 2*6*7, or 84.

Compare that to 2 games of settlers with four people (2*4*1.5) or 12.

For each purchase I expect to get to about 100 points. So, while that may only be three games of Here I Stand, it would take nearly 20 games of Settlers. As far as cost goes I'm willing to normally pay up to .50 cents a point (or 50 dollars). I once went through most of my collection and calculated their values. TI:3rd, Titan, and AoS were all very, very low (.15).

If you wanted to go a step farther you could also add a further factor, something like an enjoyment (for the economists out there "Jollies") or "time well-spent" factor which changes based on the game. So if I really enjoy settlers each point might be worth 3 enjoyment points, whereas maybe I only get 2 enjoyment points out of Here I Stand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex C
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KnobDoctor wrote:
It depends on how long the game is, too. One play of Age of Steam = 4-5 plays of RtfG (assuming you enjoy both equally).

Yeah I get this, I know that it's more than just simple plays to price. I would imagine it would be alot easier to get a good ratio playing battleline as opposed to say Agricola.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Y
United States
Peoria
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I rationalize that way also. I paid $17 for Surf's Up, Dude! by accident in an auction, and felt that I over paid, but as a family we've played it 4 times, each with 4 people. That's $1.06 per person per play. That's really not terrible.

Less than $3 per person per play is just about right. I end up playing my games a lot since my collection size is limited, so I usually end up beating that. I think most of my collection's price per person per play is right around a dollar. RoboCop comes to mind for some reason.

It's not a way to rate games or excuse buying too many games, but it's a fun little rationalization, and it keeps my wife at bay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Cole Wehrle wrote:
I've also thought about this in some detail, but I have a different method. I apply the arcade principle, or, if you went to a pay-per-hour board game arcade how much might I be willing to pay out for a game. So first, lets see how many "yuks" we get out of a game...

I first take the length of the game and multiply it by the number of players.

Or, in other words, lets say I play two six player games of Here I Stand which each take 7 hours. Thats 2*6*7, or 84.

Compare that to 2 games of settlers with four people (2*4*1.5) or 12.

For each purchase I expect to get to about 100 points. So, while that may only be three games of Here I Stand, it would take nearly 20 games of Settlers. As far as cost goes I'm willing to normally pay up to .50 cents a point (or 50 dollars). I once went through most of my collection and calculated their values. TI:3rd, Titan, and AoS were all very, very low (.15).

If you wanted to go a step farther you could also add a further factor, something like an enjoyment (for the economists out there "Jollies") or "time well-spent" factor which changes based on the game. So if I really enjoy settlers each point might be worth 3 enjoyment points, whereas maybe I only get 2 enjoyment points out of Here I Stand.

Long before the Geek, I was compiling counts of playings,
and what the people who played the games gave as ratings,
in order to do just this. While ratings and playings were
interesting numbers - obtaining some sort of total composite
ended up being pretty much meaningless.

It's pretty clear in my own mind, what purchases I've made were
worth it, and which ones weren't. Trying to extablish metrics
for that is silly - it's a subjective matter, after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Be wary of going down the cost per play rabbit hole.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cristelli
United States
Milton
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mb
It's simple for me. If I spend one night in playing Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game with some friends instead of going to a bar with the same friends, I've saved money. It therefore pays for itself after one or two of those nights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
While ratings and playings were
interesting numbers - obtaining some sort of total composite
ended up being pretty much meaningless.
It's pretty clear in my own mind, what purchases I've made were
worth it, and which ones weren't. Trying to extablish metrics
for that is silly - it's a subjective matter, after all.

I wouldn't quite say meaningless, though, to be sure, those numbers wouldn't have any meaning for other folks. In many ways, like most metrics, its just an attempt to articulate worth and (in many cases) justify expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.