Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Top Speed» Forums » General

Subject: General Impressions and other thoughts (based on read of the rules) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip Pack
Canada
Nanaimo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm a big racing game fan, mostly due to my love of F1 and other racing series. My biggest problem is very few of my friends who I play games with like racing games for the most part. PitchCar was boring to most... maybe too simple, or maybe we didn't have enough drinks. Formula D was slow paced and too much luck, or too technical if played with advanced rules. Too technical also fits for Speed Circuit.

But some games have had a better fate. Winners Circle has been a favorite, but to me it's more betting then racing... nothing wrong with that, but I want to find a real racing game that works with my crowds. Formula Motor Racing almost fits the bill, most people have enjoyed playing it... it's fast paced and is basically an uno style "screw you" card game, making it simple and fun to play.

RallyMan is my current #1 racing title. I like the simple push your luck mechanic with the dice, it has a good ballance of skill and luck. I've only played it with my Dad, and he enjoyed the gameplay. I'm going to play this more with my friends to try and get a wider range of reviews. But the 'push your luck' style of gameplay brings me to Top Speed.

First look at Top Speed long time ago made me not really interested. Maybe I just didn't under stand the game, and the track seamed odd being only 1 car wide. But now getting a chance to read through the full rules of the game, I really like the concept. Here's what really interests me with the game.

-Great idea being able to play a full 60+ lap race in 60-90 minutes.
-I like the push your luck mechanic being used.
-Pit Stops, Yellow Flags, Safety Cars, Car Wear... that's great depth.
-Overall the game appears to be simple to learn and play.

I'm not sure this will get my non-race fan friends playing. But I do really like where you're going with this game. Only two issues I can personally see. Using different track maps makes almost no real gameplay difference, but that is a minor issue. My real issue is the price... and it gets really pricey if you buy a kit for more players.

Look forward to seeing some detailed reviews from players of the game. Really good concept overall for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chechu Nieto Sánchez
Spain
Sant Andreu de la Barca
Barcelona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Philip.

Let me talk about my experience playing Top Speed.

I was testing the game yesterday morning during a fair in Barcelona (Barnaludica) and I must say that, at first glance, I thought that Top Speed was not going to make me feel the sensations of a Formula 1 game... but I've to confess that, during the game, you really get in the role to be driving a Formula One and, above all, of having to make similar decisions: to risk or not, when are you going to enter the Pit Lane, the output of the Safety Car saving your race or not, to save fuel (card deck) or not... I played two races and it's true there was a lot of tension in them.

I sincerely think that a positive thing of Top Speed is, during the entire race, all players have the chance of winning it and the head of the race is changing often, so there is a lot of emotion.

Another positive thing is that, based on the rules, I think some changes and modifications can be introduced to adapt the game even more to the tastes of each person.

Perhaps the only negative aspect I found in the game was the visual aspect of cars going online (due to the format) because I think that all racing games should allow the player to move his car by the side of other cars while it's advancing them, and also to allow the situation of two cars going in parallel throughout the game... I'm already making the design of my own biggest F1 circuit to allow this!

I hope my sensations can help you in order to have a better idea about this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Lock
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been interested in a racing game for a while, especially an F1 game, but none of the ones I have looked at seem deep/interesting.

I agree that based on the rules this one looks like it really captures the idea of managing a whole race.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Pack
Canada
Nanaimo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I agree with building a custom circuit. I understand maybe not allowing 2 wide at all moments (chicanes, hairpins, etc), but having times that you can go side-by-side would add extra excitement.

I'd love to see hestorgames offer a 'starter kit' at a discount. As mentioned in my first comments... for a 4-player set, I find the price point (55 euro including shipping) to be too expensive. Especially for me to take a chance with a game I won't know if my group(s) would take to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for your opinions.

I'm afraid I cannot lower the price or make a 'starter kit'. Being a micro-publisher and manufacturing the games one by one have this kind of limitations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.