Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
My first game was a complete and abject disaster, my second was one of the most amazingly detailed and narrative experiences I’ve ever had sitting around a board game. My third was rather ho-hum and ended prematurely when it was clear halfway through that the Keeper had no way of winning. But then my fourth had one of the most heart stopping, skin-of-the-teeth finales I’ve ever had the pleasure of playing through. The fifth game was entertaining but too long and poorly paced. This is a volatile, instable game, no doubt about it. But it is also frequently brilliant, sometimes suggests a daring new future for the board games medium, and it occasionally might very well be the best horror board game published to date.

I don't know if the late, lamented, Barnes plays roleplaying games, but I have to say that these sort of comments *exactly* reflect what I have to say about my roleplaying experiences. If anything, my *best* game experiences were roleplaying games, my *worst* game experiences were roleplaying games. And I doubt it's a coincidence that these extreme feelings are for a boardgame that's close to an RPG experience.

Barne's Review
http://www.gameshark.com/features/812/Cracked-LCD-190-Mansio...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LordHellfury wrote:
Off topic Query:
You mention "late, lamented". Why is this?

The Banning of Michael Barnes

24 pages, enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
We will move from victims to survivors and conquer as we go.
mbmb
I don't see, what all of this has to do with RPGs or the idea, that MoM is "close to a RPG". Some plays of a game are more interesting than others - so what? I can remeber plays of Settler of Catan that were great and I am trying hard to forget a few boring ones that seemed to last for ever.

While I would concur, that my best and worst gaming experiences where in RPGs rather than boardgames, the reason for this has nothing to do with the game itself and it can not be applied to RPG-light Boardgames:
The reason why RPGs tend to be hit or miss for me, is the close interaction of the players. If the group doesn't "fit" and the playing styles are incompatible, then the games sucks big time. Boardgame OTOH are not that reliant on the chemistry between the players, because much of the style, objectives and structure of the game are laid down in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Gaskill
United States
Bridgeton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barnes has a new Avatar (at least on Game Shark)!!
I really love MoM but I feel it has to be approached as
an "experience"rather than a flat out competitive game.

I wished that the Game had gone co-op against an AI Evil,
perhaps that would have allowed the Inv.greater choices.

I do know that in the first play of a Story the sense
of tension,anticipation is right up there with the best
horror movie.

Really looking forward to where FFG is going with thisdevil

OD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.