Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Bertram
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He can read books like "Go Dog Go", and "One Fish Two Fish". He can play games like Magic Hill, and Ninja Vs. Ninja.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
williambertram wrote:
He can read books like "Go Dog Go", and "One Fish Two Fish". He can play games like Magic Hill, and Ninja Vs. Ninja.

If you want him to really play, not much chance.

If you want to have a lot of fun and help him with his choices, I bet you will both have a blast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How young of a gamer have you successfully played this game with?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Neumann
United States
Whitefish Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
In life you have to do a lot of things you don't f*cking want to do. Many times, that's what the f*ck life is... one vile f*cking task after another.
mb
Larry Welborn wrote:

If you want to have a lot of fun and help him with his choices, I bet you will both have a blast.

I have played this game numerous times with my 5 and 8 year-olds. They LOVE this game (coming second only to Castle Ravenloft).

I have to help him, and we all talk about what we're going to do on every turn. My 8 year-old will help him read his Quest cards and the like.

I won't let my 5 year-old play the Eagle Rider, as the concept would confuse him.

My boys generally want to run around and fight everything they can, while I tend to take care of the tainted lands and other bonfires which is fine with me.

I can think of very few other ways I'd like to spend an afternoon than playing this with my boys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah my 3, almost 4 year old just wants to kill things.

She occasionally has some stategic help from her dad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Bertram
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool Thank you all so much for your responses! I'm going to buy DotR, and now I'm considering Ravenloft!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Bertram
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to follow up and say we had our first game last night with me, a 10 year old, and a 6 year old and it went great. The 10 year old had zero problem learning the game and playing well. The 6 year old also did real good, but some extra time was required explaining the rules. All in all an A+ for a game. I got my fantasy gaming fix, the kids loved it. First time through we did great keeping the board cleared off, but didn't quite have a handle on how many cards were required for each general so we lost. We'll get 'em next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bell
United States
Osceola Mills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Life is not a game - games are life.
badge
You learn more about a person in an hour of gaming than you do in a year of conversation.
mbmbmbmbmb
williambertram wrote:
Just wanted to follow up and say we had our first game last night with me, a 10 year old, and a 6 year old and it went great. The 10 year old had zero problem learning the game and playing well. The 6 year old also did real good, but some extra time was required explaining the rules. All in all an A+ for a game. I got my fantasy gaming fix, the kids loved it. First time through we did great keeping the board cleared off, but didn't quite have a handle on how many cards were required for each general so we lost. We'll get 'em next time.
Welcome to the Realm, William!

It's always nice to see so many new Defenders!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Pritchett
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played with my 5 1/2 year old today, he loved it. He can't read the quest cards by him self but I help him with that, and he doesn't care about the darkness spreads card, he lets me handle that except for General movement. He does the general movement. I tell him his choices and he choses, he also plays with a less complex hero like the Ranger. He usually will chose to battle minions, or fight a general when possible. I usually let him decide which general to fight and we try to both collect that type of card. Today we defeated the red general and we had to pick up, but he wanted to keep playing. It is actually good for him because I get him to pick the correct dice for the minions, and to tell me which dice he rolled enough of to defeat the minions. Basiclly some of the things he is learning in kindergarton. Well not the minion part but the basic math, lesser, greater then aspects. He is determined to finish the game so when we play again I will have to increase the Darkness spreads at the start and take off the red general because he told me to. But to my surprise we had a blast and he enjoyed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.