Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Claire Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick write up about our first two full experiences with the game - firstly with 3 players, then with 5.

3 player: two adults and eight yr old. Game went pretty well, only a few referrals to the rules and my wife got to grips with the rules after a couple of turns (my daughter and I had been through the rules before). Around turn 8 or so things started to get intense with people trying to work out the best combinations of cargo to spend on the best card item. No serious problems - I won because I managed to buy the Bank and the other two were just getting Dive Bars and Villas.

Query 1 : One thing we did come across was that we were not 100% sure if for example we had 6 items in the warehouse already and we won on our 1st phase for example another 6 items of cargo (thereby producing a 6 item overspill), were we allowed to cash in all 12 items? Or only the overspill?

Query 2 : The cargo bag - just a thought; when it's opened, the box has the bag flat and the un-punched cargo in their sheets, so everything fits. Once the cargo is punched and in the bag, there is no room for the bag in the box when everything is put away. A little odd for a Euro game where everything has a place when put away. We try to smooth out the cargo as much as possible so only leaving a lump in the box.

Query 3 : Again the cargo bag - a lot of drawing occurs with the bag during the course of the game, but we've found a lot of threads coming off it and the early signs of ripping at the seams is apparent.

5 player: Two adults, 8 yr old, 12 yr old, 15 yr old. The five player game threw up a longer game with more strategy and attempts to bid and counter bid for items. Like some people we found we ran out of items in the bag around turn 8, but we must have missed the rule about refreshing the items if they run out. We also suffered from a bit of Too Many Hands - with so much going on, there was a lot of hands all over and we forgot to move the turn counter at least twice. This may happen less in the future when more of our players gain confidence with the rules and know what to do and what to move.

The same issues from the three player game were apparent - plus not many high purchase items went which we thought odd for 5 players.

Saying that with 5 players of differing ages and styles of play (the youngest liked going for coins and then playing some serious smack downs for out bidding, whilst I liked to try to get large amounts for 2/3 coins when no one else had many coins left to out bid me for example) the game was thoroughly enjoyed.

It hasn't knocked our current family favourite off the top spot (7 Wonders) but it's very good and worth getting out again to iron out the bumps.

frank

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FrankBradshaw wrote:
Query 1 : One thing we did come across was that we were not 100% sure if for example we had 6 items in the warehouse already and we won on our 1st phase for example another 6 items of cargo (thereby producing a 6 item overspill), were we allowed to cash in all 12 items? Or only the overspill?

When you cash in cargo for card items, you can do as much or as little as you want. All 12, some, or even none (not recommended).

After that is all done, then you worry about storage limits. Anything you can't fit in your home base (6) or addons (2), you simply discard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claire Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for clearing that up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Rothrock
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
GM For Life!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FrankBradshaw wrote:
Just a quick write up about our first two full experiences with the game - firstly with 3 players, then with 5.

Thanks for the write up. My group just had two plays. One with three and one with 4. In the first game we misplayed to Syndicate Card, taking 2 coins for EACH time we withdrew from a port. We believe that you only get to do that once per Syndicate Card. The second play left us feeling more cash strapped.

FrankBradshaw wrote:
Query 2 : The cargo bag - just a thought; when it's opened, the box has the bag flat and the un-punched cargo in their sheets, so everything fits. Once the cargo is punched and in the bag, there is no room for the bag in the box when everything is put away. A little odd for a Euro game where everything has a place when put away. We try to smooth out the cargo as much as possible so only leaving a lump in the box.

I found that putting the bag, flattened out, under the tray insert got it all tucked away neat

FrankBradshaw wrote:
Query 3 : Again the cargo bag - a lot of drawing occurs with the bag during the course of the game, but we've found a lot of threads coming off it and the early signs of ripping at the seams is apparent.

We found a tear in the bottom corner of mine, where the threads had come lose. I'll sew it up, and keep an eye on it. Might need an up-rez.

Cheers,
grafzepp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.