Craig West
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a fairly large amount newly invested in FFG's LCG Warhammer Invasion. I noticed that upon taking the cards from their packs they all bowed a bit such that if laid face down there was a slight hump in the middle of the cards.

I set up the dehumidifier since my first assumption was that as the summer comes on there was just moisture down here in the basement.

Then I got my $1000 copy of War of the Ring Collector's edition (that's what i get for waiting), and then i opened one of the two packs of cards... they did the same exact thing. ouch.

And then i considered the 10,000 magic cards i have. they've never done this. nor has any other game i can think of, and i'm a confirmed card-based game addict. London, no problem; ascension, panzer general, dominion, thunderstone, pandemic, through the ages... all no problem. but also no issues with battle for middle earth, battle star galactica, talisman, or runebound which are all FFG games, though most have the nice linen plastic coating (except runebound).

anyone else have some bending issues with any FFG games?
c

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurice Tousignant
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found many FFG cards to be slightly bowed. Not enough for me to complain though. They do seem to be made of thinner stuff that most other card games.

FF has an excellent part replacement system and great customer service. I would contact them if you are truly unhappy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig West
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GilvanBlight wrote:

FF has an excellent part replacement system and great customer service. I would contact them if you are truly unhappy.

yes, i too have found their customer service to be excellent. i was starting with the notion that it might be something i'm doing, and like you i find it annoying, but not rising to the level of needing replacement. also, i'm not sure the replacements would be any better.
c
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian T. Petersen
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Craig,

There is no plastic coating on any of the card games that you mentioned. There is a matte varnish on all of them (probably identical), and some are linen textured (which is essentially a texture crushed into the cardstock). Many of the games that you mentioned are made of different, and some the same, cards stocks.

You mention that you have no problem with BSG cards, the fact is that they are the exact card-stock (and varnish) as Warhammer: Invasion.

FFG did not print the WOTR CE, that was Nexus and at another factory.

The fact is that paper behaves different for a variety of reasons. In fact, many "factory stock" papers have slight differences from delivery to delivery (paper mills usually do their runs on a quarterly basis, depending on the stock) and it will vary on the type, quality, and temperature, season, (i.e. summer vs. winter) of the wood they create the paper from.

On top of that, there is ink coverage, drying time, printing with or against the paper-grain, and a ton of other factors. The most important factor is the humidity and temperature of your current situation -- but since the underlying factors are so broadly different, behavior will be different as well.

On top of that, I've come to realize that gamers' relationship to cards are very personal and, frankly, often irrational and changing. One person's "flimsy" card is another persons "high quality" card. For example, one person on BGG complained that the "Kingdom Hearts" cards were the "thinnest, flimsiest cards he'd ever seen". Well, they were printed on the exact same card stock at "Magic The Gathering" and at the same U.S. factory, and were, in fact, identical.

We have this same issue ourselves as we evaluate stocks, but a caliper (a device that measures the thickness of a card) never lies.

I wish there was some hard answer to your question, in my experience there is none. While bad cards stock (as with bad wine) does exist, none of the games mentioned have bad cards-stocks (the race for quality in games publishing is so high, I haven't seen a truly bad card stock for years, and FFG certainly never used a bad card stock).

Like wine, they're organic things, subject to their crafting, their storage, and the subjective taste-buds of their handler (and yes, that was an analogy, don't be tasting your cards, please).

cP
FFG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig West
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
christian, many thanks for the reply. to be clear to you and your firm, ffg is my favorite game company. i like it so much that i'm taking my boy to minneapolis on our outing this summer partially just to swing by your event center. i asked about visiting the hq, but thadd said you really don't do that. it's too bad, as a professional investor i like doing hq/plant tours, but understand when they just don't work. further, i'm so excited about LOTR The Card Game, that i'm bordering on an unhealthy anticipation level for that one.

you get the point, i'd like it if there wasn't any bowing of any card, but i'm not damning all of ffg because of this. as stated earlier this issue is an annoyance, but not much more. i'll still buy WI cards, which is perhaps the strongest statement.

there are things that i'm utterly unwilling to accept such as rulebooks so poorly written that core mechanics of a game are not adequately explained. and i'm not saying rulebooks that don't explain EVERYTHING perfectly, i'm saying ones that fail to explain a CORE mechanic. simply not acceptable. i've never had this experience with an ffg game. oddly i've heard others complain of such things, but in practice never seen an example.

i'm fascinated to hear that BSG and WI have the same card stock and that the texture which i've called linnen is a texture stamped into the card stock and not part of the plastic coating. i just went and compared them side by side. they appear quite different to the touch, and i've always thought it was due to the coating.

btw, the terrrinoth deck building game seems like a fantastic idea. looking forward to that one too.

best, c
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.