GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,524 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Request for WW II Book Recommendations - Intelligence, Equipment rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Postlewaite
United States
Emerald Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was hoping to find book recommendations on two different WWII topics:
1) Intelligence - something covering intelligence methods, nice if it includes noted successes/failures, should definitely include info about D-Day, more interested in Allies but am interested in all
2) Equipment - something that would cover the main equipment (vehicles/weapons, not limited to infantry) of the different sides, especially if it includes how the various things were superior/inferior to those being used by other armies.

Ideally there would be one book in each category that would not be too long (say, no more than 500pp). Probably the best books are really long and/or only cover a subset, but at this point I would sacrifice some quality and depth for breadth. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walters
United States
Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
"...the art of manoeuvering armies...an art which none may master by the light of nature. but to which, if he is to attain success, a man must serve a long apprenticeship." -- G.F.R. Henderson
mbmbmbmbmb
For intelligence, here is my "short" WWII List:

COMBINED FLEET DECODED by John Prados. Phenomenal book, but you need to have a solid grasp of the history of the Pacific War. Deals with HUMINT as well as SIGINT.

SHADOW WARRIORS OF NAKANO by Stephen Mercado. Outlines Japanese intelligence operations in the Pacific, particular its failures.

G2: INTELLIGENCE FOR PATTON by Oscar Koch. Now you'll know why Third Army was so fast at turning left 90 degrees to attack towards Bastogne in December 1944...

TARGETING THE THIRD REICH: AIR INTELLIGENCE AND THE ALLIED BOMBING CAMPAIGNS by Robert S. Ehlers, Jr. How the bombing strategies changed as a result of intelligence...and how intelligence was often politicized...

There are many others, but these should still be relatively easily available....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Postlewaite
United States
Emerald Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Eric! All of those books look excellent. Now, instead of just having too many games I want to play, I'm firmly moving in the direction of having too many books to read too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:
I would sacrifice some quality

So will many authors, and the results are always the same.

Clearly the histories of MI5 and MI6 published last year to great fanfare if not acclaim are still current, Christopher Andrew and Keith Jeffrey the authors.

The Ultra-Magic Deals by Bradley Smith details how allied intelligence was managed. Alliance of Enemies is a good one to read alongside it, as after a while you have to ask yourself who the enemy is, the Axis being the wonderful chaps keeping everyone in work. Its worth bearing in mind that today the US "Intelligence Community" comprises 16 agencies, and it was always the same in times past, and worse in wartime.

The ASL Gun and Vehicle notes, and the associated Availability Charts, are still the best general overview of terrestrial weapons of this type, beating sources from all sorts of domestic historians. A very great deal can be learned from what is here, and the overall picture is second-to-none.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Postlewaite
United States
Emerald Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aforandy wrote:

Quote:
I would sacrifice some quality

So will many authors, and the results are always the same.

Clearly the histories of MI5 and MI6 published last year to great fanfare if not acclaim are still current, Christopher Andrew and Keith Jeffrey the authors.

The Ultra-Magic Deals by Bradley Smith details how allied intelligence was managed. Alliance of Enemies is a good one to read alongside it, as after a while you have to ask yourself who the enemy is, the Axis being the wonderful chaps keeping everyone in work. Its worth bearing in mind that today the US "Intelligence Community" comprises 16 agencies, and it was always the same in times past, and worse in wartime.

The ASL Gun and Vehicle notes, and the associated Availability Charts, are still the best general overview of terrestrial weapons of this type, beating sources from all sorts of domestic historians. A very great deal can be learned from what is here, and the overall picture is second-to-none.

Thanks Andy!

I actually have much of the ASL things but I haven't gotten into yet (still hope to some time) and I didn't realize that I already had a good info source.

-Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.