GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,896 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

51st State» Forums » Rules

Subject: The Lookout Phase rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony V
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
I'm a little unclear on the wording of the English rulebook.

During the Lookout Phase, you set out 5 cards from the draw deck, and the first player takes one. Do the other players then take one at a time until they're gone (discarding the last), OR are you supposed to draw and set out another card after each player picks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jackson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on the number of players. Each player will end up with two cards and one will be discarded but when you add extra cards depends on the number of players. It's explained in the rulebook for each different number.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Cunningham
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
There are three rounds to the Lookout phase. During the first round, the Start player picks a card from 5 faceup cards, placing it in his hand, while all other players pick from four each. Draw and reveal a new card if fewer than four cards are available to any player.

During the second round, all players choose from three cards each, except
the last player, who picks from two cards. If a player is supposed to pick from 3 cards, but only 2 are avaialble, draw and reveal a new card. The final card is then discarded without further effect.

During the third round, all players draw one card from the top of the deck.

I took it to mean this method is used no matter how many players are in the game. At least, that's how we've been playing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Blake
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
I believe Greg was referring to the European English rules, which do describe the lookout phase in terms of how many players are playing. I decided that this was one of the more fiddly aspects of the rules, and rephrased it as a single rule which produces the same logical outcome.

To answer the original question: You draw and replace cards if playing with 3 or 4 players, but only at certain times. It depends on whether you're the start player, whether you're the last player, and how many cards you've drawn so far during the Lookout phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony V
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
Could you maybe break it down to a step by step example using 4 players, Paul? I'm still not QUITE getting it, heh>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Blake
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Sure:

5 cards are turned face-up.

Andrew is the start player. He picks his favorite from the five cards. There are now four cards.

Bob is the second player. He sees four cards and picks his favorite. There are now three cards.

Carl is the third player. Since there are only three cards out, and he's supposed to pick from four, he draws a card and adds it to the lineup. Now he picks from four cards. There are now three cards.

Dave is the fourth player. Like Carl, he's supposed to see four cards, but there are currently only three. He draws a card and adds it to the lineup. Now he picks from four cards. There are now three cards.

Every player has now drawn one card.

It's back to Andrew now. Since he's not the last player (Dave is), he's supposed to pick from three cards, which is the number currently visible. He picks his card. There are now two cards remaining.

Bob's up next to pick his second card. Again, since he's not the last player, he's supposed to have a choice from three cards, but there are currently only two. He draws a card and adds it to the lineup, then picks his favorite from the three visible cards. There are now two cards remaining.

Carl's turn comes. Just like Bob's turn, he's supposed to see three cards, but there are currently only two. He draws a card, adds it to the lineup, then picks his favorite. There are now two cards remaining.

Dave's turn is next. Since Dave is the last player, he is only supposed to pick from two cards, which is the number visible. He picks his favorite card. Unless someone has a location in play which says otherwise, the last card (The one Dave didn't pick) is now discarded without effect.

Each player has now chosen two face-up cards.

Now, in player order, each player draws a card from the top of the deck, adding it to their hand.

Here endeth the lesson.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony V
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
Perfect, that makes total sense now. Thank you so much! Can't wait to try this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monika Żabicka
Poland
Wodzisław Śl.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you ever had problems with playing and needed some example - I have provided one in thread "Worst Rule Book Ever" :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Blake
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
In fairness to my own editing skills, I'd like to point out that the "Worst Rule Book Ever" thread pertained to the European editions, and mostly pre-dated the Toy Vault edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hot Rod
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul Blake: Your explanation was a godsend! I could not figure out the wording for the life of me. Everything is there in the rule book, it's just REALLY poorly written.

Now that I've got Phase ONE down, lemme see how bad Phase Two is looking...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.