GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,325 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: How does this LCG work with expansions and such? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ingólfur Valsson
Iceland
Sauðárkrókur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not asking how you play and what the rules are as I have played several card games before. I however am not sure how a LCG works. I understand its aim is to have non random stuff you can buy into but I'm not sure what is included in each expansion and how the hierarchy works.

I assume that somewhere there is a intro that explains all that stuff so if someone could point me towards that, otherwise I would be happy is someone could answer these questions.

1) I'm pretty sure there is a basic set ( I assume this forums belongs to it ). Is there only one basic set that is always needed or have they released more sets you can get initially. What is in a basic set that makes it required?

2)I see the expansions mentioned as Asylum Pack Expansion Cycles, what do you mean by cycles? Then there are given names I assume is the name of the cycle; Forgotten Lore, The Dreamlands, etc. and under each cycle a bunch of expansions, usually 6 but 2 in Forgotten Lore. How does this all tie together.

3) Then there are deluxe expansions what are those.

4) what is included in a expansion, are the packs tied to certain factions, will each player have to buy his own copy of the same thing or could we get it together and only have one great collection. Do expansions introduce new rules?

5) What is CoC compared to the other FF LCG, is it the same rules in their own settings or are the rules dependent on the setting. Which is the most popular, most supported and so on?

Thanks for any and all answers or directions to answers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KronikAlkoholik wrote:
I'm not asking how you play and what the rules are as I have played several card games before. I however am not sure how a LCG works. I understand its aim is to have non random stuff you can buy into but I'm not sure what is included in each expansion and how the hierarchy works.

I assume that somewhere there is a intro that explains all that stuff so if someone could point me towards that, otherwise I would be happy is someone could answer these questions.

FFG has an about page for their LCG's which might answer some of your questions (http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_npm_sec.asp?eidm=14&e...)

KronikAlkoholik wrote:
1) I'm pretty sure there is a basic set ( I assume this forums belongs to it ). Is there only one basic set that is always needed or have they released more sets you can get initially. What is in a basic set that makes it required?

There is only one 'core' set per game. This set is always needed to play the game. For all the LCG's the core set contains the rules, any tokens/markers needed for the game. In Cthulhu's case the core set and the expansion Secrets of Arkham are the only way to get story cards which are necessary to play. I've got a spoiler on CardGameDB where you can view all the cards included in each expansion.

KronikAlkoholik wrote:
2)I see the expansions mentioned as Asylum Pack Expansion Cycles, what do you mean by cycles? Then there are given names I assume is the name of the cycle; Forgotten Lore, The Dreamlands, etc. and under each cycle a bunch of expansions, usually 6 but 2 in Forgotten Lore. How does this all tie together.

A cycle is a set of 6 Asylum packs which usually have a theme that the cards work with. The Madness and Horror cycle is the the only exception to this within the LCG and only has 2 packs.

KronikAlkoholik wrote:

Deluxe expansions are basically large asylum packs, usually consisting of 55 unique cards instead of the asylum packs 20 unique cards. They are usually used to introduce new factions/themes or to further flesh out an area with a large chunk of cards.

KronikAlkoholik wrote:
4) what is included in a expansion, are the packs tied to certain factions, will each player have to buy his own copy of the same thing or could we get it together and only have one great collection. Do expansions introduce new rules?

Each chapter pack/deluxe expansion will have cards for every faction although not always the same number of cards per faction. What every player will have to buy is dependent on how you want to play the game. You could have one large card pool, but it might limit your deck building capabilities. New rules are sometimes introduced with new products. An insert in the pack will normally be there to explain the new concepts.

KronikAlkoholik wrote:
5) What is CoC compared to the other FF LCG, is it the same rules in their own settings or are the rules dependent on the setting. Which is the most popular, most supported and so on?

None of the LCG's are compatable, each is a very different game from the others. Support for each game is pretty much the same, FFG offers various tournament packs that stores can order and they are usually pretty similar for each game. As far as popularity no one really knows. FFG has stated that each game is doing well and generating a profit. By my personal observations Game of Thrones and Warhammer: Invasion seem to be in the lead, Cthulhu seems to lag behind those to judging by forum activity. In addition a new cooperative LCG based on the Lord of the Rings will be out next month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingólfur Valsson
Iceland
Sauðárkrókur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice, thank you, this is very informative.

A cooperative card game sounds very interesting, is it 2 players against the game? Well no matter really, I was looking at LCG for the lack of 2 player competitive games in my collection. I do believe that CoC, W:I and GoT are all specially designed as 2 player versus so I have to read the rules and check out some cards to find out what I like best.

again thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jevon Heath
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Credit to David J. Kelly
badge
This image is not mine – message me if you know who made it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Call of Cthulhu is a two-player game first and foremost; Game of Thrones is better played multiplayer (as is Warhammer, I've heard).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
KronikAlkoholik wrote:

1)... What is in a basic set that makes it required?

2)I see the expansions mentioned as Asylum Pack Expansion Cycles, what do you mean by cycles?...

4) ...will each player have to buy his own copy of the same thing or could we get it together and only have one great collection...

1) Nothing, really (besides the rules, naturally, but they are available for download online as well as the FAQ/errata), except a very good mixture of cards that provides a strong basis for building decks further on. The story cards used for competitive play are provided in the deluxe expansion Secrets of Arkham where a new 10-card story deck is provided. So if you have both, you have the option of choosing which deck you want to play with. You don't need special tokens for anything, you can easily use dice if you want.
I recommend getting a core set or two, so you get duplicates of those nice cards like Y'Golonac and Deep One Assault.

2) FFG are releasing a new cycle every year. Every cycle has a title. Every asylum pack belonging to the cycle has a name. Like Murmurs of Evil from the Yoggoth Contract cycle.
A new pack comes out every two months with 60 cards and an sheet of paper that tells a part of a story, so you get a very small novel with your cards when you buy them. The images on some of the cards are tied to the story although the game effects are not, so you can recall the story behind the cards, without unnecessary fluff cluttering up the game mechanism.

3) A small box with cards for every faction. The Secrets of Arkham contain more story cards, the "Order of the Silver Twilight"-box contains a new faction. This new faction is expanded further in the asylum packs that are running in the current cycle. There are plenty of cards in a box and I bought the core set and secrets of Arkham and have had a lot of fun with those alone.

4) I think a lot of people pool their cards and swap factions every now and then. If you want to play competitively I reckon you need your own, but since every release is provided with a balanced mixture of cards one man's purchases might suffice for several interested players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cadavaca wrote:
Call of Cthulhu is a two-player game first and foremost; Game of Thrones is better played multiplayer (as is Warhammer, I've heard).

Warhammer is a 2 player only game, there aren't even official rules for multiplayer. Game of Thrones does shine in Multiplayer, however it's 2 player is very good too.

Stunke wrote:
2) FFG are releasing a new cycle every year. Every cycle has a title. Every asylum pack belonging to the cycle has a name. Like Murmurs of Evil from the Yoggoth Contract cycle.
A new pack comes out every two months with 60 cards and an sheet of paper that tells a part of a story, so you get a very small novel with your cards when you buy them. The images on some of the cards are tied to the story although the game effects are not, so you can recall the story behind the cards, without unnecessary fluff cluttering up the game mechanism.

This is not quite correct, there are generally 2 cycles released every year, and asylum/chapter/battle/advanture packs are supposed to come out monthly. This is the same for all the LCGs. There have been delays in recent months though for all of the LCGs. Which, because of some problems with production in China, have caused a delay of 1 to 2 months for some of the recent chapter packs for each game. It appears though that this is resolved so everything should be back on schedule for all the games once the new Game of Thrones chapter pack comes out soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.