GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,268 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

All Things Zombie: Better Dead Than Zed!» Forums » General

Subject: What the .... is ATZ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Allan Jørgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey everyone Im a huge zombie fan and just stumbled upon ATZ.
But I don't seem to be able to find anything explaining what makes this game so special compared to some of the alternatives, like Last Night on Earth and Zombies!!! Dead of Night and so on...

Maybe there is something in here that can answer my questions or maybe some of you guys can? Because even though I read the fluff about the game and a few battle reports, nothing really explains anything very detailed.

So if anyone out there would be so kind to answer my questions i would be very gratefull.

* Is this game still active? Do people still play it? Does the creators still publish expansions and other stuff for it?

* some places I hear names like ATZ the RPG.. is this game intended as a miniature wargame or an RPG?

* The game claims to be the best zombie game out there and alot of fans seem to back that up. What makes it so special?

* How does the campaign? Picking scenarioes? Creating survivor groups work? Do survivors gain experience? are there like a point system (like most GW games) you use to create your group from? How balanced is a campaign?

* Do you have to use a game/campaign master?

* The game is, if i understand correctly, played on a classic battlefield with scenery on it representing anything from farm country to inner city seetings and even giant buildings. correct?

Since I dont have a lot of space in my home, im thinking about making 2d floorplan tiles (like the style of those in LNOE, Zombies!!! and Dead of Night) instead of 3d buildings, of course this will require some adjustment when it comes to line of sight, but does this seem realistic or would it ruin the game balance (or anything else) too much?

Does anyone know any good places on the web, to find 2d floor maps or maybe a map creator? I've seen one called Shuffler I think, which seemed a bit crude to me, what would be really cool, where if you can buy/ create some floor tiles where you could spot a bit walls of the buildings, or the interior sides like the ones from LNOE and DoN.
The point is that although theese tiles arent completely 2d, the fact that it looks a bit 3d, gives the buildings alot of flavour and detail..
So to make this question short.. What is the best PnP 2d tiles you can get your hands on?

* Is there different type of zombies in ATZ?

children, animals, torso zombies. what about fast zombies or zombies with any kind of powers?

* Last but not least,what would you say is the best and what is the worst thing about ATZ?

Please help me out with as many as these questions as you wants to as they help me decide if this game is worth for me to spend money on...

Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alysa
Netherlands
Zoetermeer area
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
Never trust a smiling Garfield!
The game is still active, the latest expansion hasn't been released that long ago.

It is a miniature wargame, not an RPG, but there are some websites that put miniature wargames into the RPG category, try looking for Battletech on an UK webshop for instance, it's under RPG, dunno why...

You don't have to use a GM...

There are different types of zombies...

Also, the author of this game collaborated with Lock 'n Load to make a boardgame version of this with a static mapboard and counters but it is essentially a simpler version of the full ruleset...

Sadly I haven't played with it much, still need to finish some paper terrain to play it properly, so I can't help with the rest of your questions...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greasygeek wrote:
* Is this game still active? Do people still play it? Does the creators still publish expansions and other stuff for it?

Not sure how much it's getting played outside of the people that log plays on BGG. You might get more info by joining the Two Hour Wargames Yahoo Group. The developer has already added some add-on items (scenario books, search deck). I'm willing to bet there will be more.

Greasygeek wrote:
* some places I hear names like ATZ the RPG.. is this game intended as a miniature wargame or an RPG?

It can be played either as a one-off wargame, or as an ongoing campaign, which might be where the "RPG" classification comes from.

Greasygeek wrote:
* The game claims to be the best zombie game out there and alot of fans seem to back that up. What makes it so special?

The crazy shit that can happen! Also, it does a pretty good job of AI for the zombies, so you can play solo if you want.

Greasygeek wrote:
* How does the campaign? Picking scenarioes? Creating survivor groups work? Do survivors gain experience? are there like a point system (like most GW games) you use to create your group from? How balanced is a campaign?

Haven't tried a campaign yet, so can't help you there. Creating characters is done randomly, and IIRC, you can also choose to create a Star with specific traits...but where's the fun in that?

Greasygeek wrote:
* Do you have to use a game/campaign master?

No, the zombies are game-controlled.

Greasygeek wrote:
* The game is, if i understand correctly, played on a classic battlefield with scenery on it representing anything from farm country to inner city seetings and even giant buildings. correct?

Pretty much whatever you want to make, or have the terrain for.

Greasygeek wrote:
Since I dont have a lot of space in my home, im thinking about making 2d floorplan tiles (like the style of those in LNOE, Zombies!!! and Dead of Night) instead of 3d buildings, of course this will require some adjustment when it comes to line of sight, but does this seem realistic or would it ruin the game balance (or anything else) too much?

WorldWorks Games has some really nice stuff along these lines.

Greasygeek wrote:
Does anyone know any good places on the web, to find 2d floor maps or maybe a map creator? I've seen one called Shuffler I think, which seemed a bit crude to me, what would be really cool, where if you can buy/ create some floor tiles where you could spot a bit walls of the buildings, or the interior sides like the ones from LNOE and DoN.
The point is that although theese tiles arent completely 2d, the fact that it looks a bit 3d, gives the buildings alot of flavour and detail..
So to make this question short.. What is the best PnP 2d tiles you can get your hands on?

See above.

Greasygeek wrote:
* Is there different type of zombies in ATZ?
children, animals, torso zombies. what about fast zombies or zombies with any kind of powers?[/b]

I think these were added into the second edition, but am not positive on that.

Greasygeek wrote:
* Last but not least,what would you say is the best and what is the worst thing about ATZ?

Best: The open-ended aspect and the crazy things that can happen as a result.

Worst: Charts, charts, and even more charts. The 1st edition rulebook was a disorganized mess. Not sure how much has been done to improve that in the second edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
It's very good, well worth picking up.
Download a free copy of Chain Reaction 3.0 as CR 3.0 is the basic system used in All Things Zombie and many of the other Two Hour Wargames rules. That will give you an idea of how the game works, without the specific rules for zombies of course.

Another free set that gives a pretty fun game in a simpler format is Akula's Rules: Skirmish Edition, which does have rules for Left For Dead style zombies like tanks, witches etc.
http://akulasrules.blogspot.com/
Click on the images bottom left of the page for the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Jørgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
thanks for the fast answers

Quote:
WorldWorks Games has some really nice stuff along these lines.

As far as I know Worldworks only make 3d pnp scenery and buildings right?
I was asking for 2D buildings/tiles.

Of course I could make 2 d versions of some of the stuff worldwork produces, but doesn't anyone out there make 2d pnp tiles? (other than shuffler).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Jørgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Okay had a few glimps of the chain reaction rules, as I was told is similiar to ATZ. A question I can't seem to find an answer to is how big or small a battlefild is used during a standard game?

In most GW games it's about 6'x4' (if i recall). But can ATZ be played on smaller or larger battlefields? What is the most common size? and does it always has to be square (can't remember exact english word) sized?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
We've played ATZ on a 6x4 for the most part, because that is what was available at the FLGS. It could easily be played on a 4x4, or 3x3 or even a 2x2 if the terrain was dense enough, something like a city map with the board mostly covered in buildings. 6x4 gave us plenty of room to play longways down the table, entering from one end and fighting to an objective on the other end, without reaching it too quickly. But we've tended to play in rather rural settings due to my sloth in making enough buildings

You could always play in 15mm and use the old 2/3 scale ruler trick, or swap centimeters for inches if table space is an issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another freebie, which looks pretty good (though I haven't had the chance to try it yet), is Dead Walk Again.

The latest copy of the rules can be found on their Dead Walk Again Yahoo Group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Teixeira
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Ed the THW Guy and designer of ATZ here.
Wow, you're pretty lucky that Hugh gave you such complete answers. I don't usually come over here much but since I did I'll chime in.
You can play on any size board. It's not really a wargame, it's much more a RPG as the game doesn't revolve around killing zeds but actually recruiting new members to your gang, increasing your Rep, finding new equipment or gas for your vehicle, etc.

There's three books. Haven covers military, police, gangers, survivors and the first two weeks of the outbreak.

I, Zombie is what happens after the zeds have been around for quite awhile. has smart zombies, Ragers, tremor worms, a complete city to use as a base, zombie wrangling and the best part...floor plans for ten or so buildings and simple but elegant rules for using interiors of buildings.

Like previously mentioned, the THW Yahoo Group is where you want to be.

Also check out the 2 Hour Blog for some really good ATZ blogs that document adventures.

http://2hourblog.blogspot.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Trouten
United States
Davison
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to second both what Hugh said and of course what Ed said. As Ed mentioned ATZ is more akin to an RPG then a miniature wargame, iirc Ed has referred to it (and the other games of his based on the Chain Reaction Rules) as being an RPG Lite. You have some RPG elements in the game, but not enough to put it on the level of your standard RPG like Dungeons and Dragons, and the mechanics of play are also very similar to how some of the Wargames operate, though unlike most wargames you can easily play one figure vs another, one figure vs a group, or a group vs a group and you can also play solo, co-cooperatively, or competitively.

No matter how you play, solo or with others, everyone is on the same side, the side of the living, the rules control the zombies, not the player, though each player may have their own objectives and they may conflict with each other, so you may get into conflicts with another players character(s).

In addition to the3 THW Blog and Yahoo Group I suggest checking out this blog vampifansworldoftheundead.blogspot.com/ Not only does Bryan (Vampifan) have a great review of various Zombie and Survivor miniatures, he also has some great Bat Reps. He also has some great articles on the World Works Games cardstock models he uses.

As Ed mentioned I, Zombie (the third book in the ATZ series) includes rules for building interiors and a bunch or sample buildings for you to use. By using these rules you can easily used building "shells" such as Model Railroad buildings or even buildings built using WWG's "Hollywood Flats" or the "flats" from other companies (buildings that only have exterior details, no interior).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.