GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,032 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
23 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Hot Deals

Subject: Thread titles should have all relevant information rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Isaac Finkelstein
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please, when you are posting a Hot Deal, make your thread title indicate what the deal actually is.

Good Title:

Cosmic Encounter 21.99 + shipping at Amazon.com

Bad Title:

Cosmic Encounter

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Walker
United States
North Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
So many douchebags, so few bullets.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bimm wrote:
Please, when you are posting a Hot Deal, make your thread title indicate what the deal actually is.

Good Title:

Bad Title:

Cosmic Encounter

Thanks.

Better Title:

[US] Cosmic Encounter $21.99 + $5.99 shipping at Amazon.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Roy
United Kingdom
Bath
GB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hatemachine wrote:
Bimm wrote:

Good Title:

Bad Title:

Cosmic Encounter

Thanks.

Better Title:

Worse title: Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddie Foulds
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
designer
Come play games at Newcastle Gamers!
badge
The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.
mbmbmbmbmb
hatemachine wrote:

Better Title:

This has to be the best title for a post - all relevant information regarding location, cost and shipping and country of origin for the deal. Hard to enforce though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hatemachine wrote:
Bimm wrote:

Good Title:

Bad Title:

Cosmic Encounter

Thanks.

Better Title:

Bleh, you made me go to Amazon and check. How disappointing. shake

Best Title:

[US] Cosmic Encounter $68.99 (free ship) at Amazon.com

Except I'm not sure why that would be posted in the first place
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Todesco
United States
Chicago Suburbs
Illinois
flag msg tools
Read it again, carefully...
badge
Hey! I bought OverText! I'm cooler than you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Another request: Provide a link.

That way when we don't go searching for the deal and can't find the same one you did. (happens a lot on Amazon)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddie Foulds
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.
mbmbmbmbmb
Desco wrote:
Another request: Provide a link.

That way when we don't go searching for the deal and can't find the same one you did. (happens a lot on Amazon)

Very much agree with this point. However, I feel this thread should get moved to another forum

(it's not really advertising a hot deal...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Todesco
United States
Chicago Suburbs
Illinois
flag msg tools
Read it again, carefully...
badge
Hey! I bought OverText! I'm cooler than you!
mbmbmbmbmb
xTHAWx wrote:
Very much agree with this point. However, I feel this thread should get moved to another forum

Actually I disagree. (Sorry to not return the favor *grin*)

The people who post here may not be reading "BoardGameGeek Related->BGG Suggestions"... I know I don't. No, this thread (or ironically one more appropriately titled such as "Hot Deals Posting Guidelines") needs to be pinned at the top of this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddie Foulds
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Desco wrote:
xTHAWx wrote:

Actually I disagree. (Sorry to not return the favor *grin*)

The people who post here may not be reading "BoardGameGeek Related->BGG Suggestions"... I know I don't. No, this thread (or ironically one more appropriately titled such as "Hot Deals Posting Guidelines") needs to be pinned at the top of this thread.

I heartily agree that there does need to be a thread regarding posting guidelines pinned to the Hot Deals forum. However, I'm pretty certain that this thread will get moved at some point. At least some people will read it before then and will hopefully take some points away from it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would have been funny if this thread was about something else entirely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Ferris
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hatemachine wrote:
Better Title:

I thought we generally agreed a while back that [US] was the default unless another country or location was given.

All that said, unless a stickied post with these guidelines is posted by a moderator, we'll be having this same discussion every few months or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddie Foulds
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nickferris wrote:
hatemachine wrote:
Better Title:

I thought we generally agreed a while back that [US] was the default unless another country or location was given.

All that said, unless a stickied post with these guidelines is posted by a moderator, we'll be having this same discussion every few months or so.

True. But even though BGG has a majority of US users, it's still nice if they can put [US] in the subject header. That way everyone else doesn't have to check to see if the deal is good for them (just in case it was a European one, say, and the poster forgot to include country details). A lot of the time it's obvious, because the price is in $ not £ or €. But sometimes people do post things like "Tigris and Euphrates cheap on Amazon!" Well that could be amazon.com, amazon.co.uk, amazon.de, amazon.fr, amazon.jp. The list is endless. So the country would be a massive help in some cases
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schroth
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Bimm wrote:

Good Title:

Bad Title:

Cosmic Encounter

Thanks.

So...

Bad title:

Thread titles should have all relevant information

Good title:

Thread titles should have location, price, vendor, product(s), and shipping price
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Leech
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nickferris wrote:
hatemachine wrote:
Better Title:

I think the Americans generally agreed this. The rest of us not so much but we got counted in anyway as a coalition of the willing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree. I've occasionally seen titles like:

Free $5 FunAgain gift certificate!

for a thread asking what people would like in exchange for their $5 FunAgain GCs. Bullshit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
jonnyalpha wrote:
nickferris wrote:
hatemachine wrote:
Better Title:

I think the Americans generally agreed this. The rest of us not so much but we got counted in anyway as a coalition of the willing.

Or unwilling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Finkelstein
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hatemachine wrote:
Bimm wrote:

Good Title:

Bad Title:

Cosmic Encounter

Thanks.

Better Title:

I didn't put an amount for shipping because shipping is potentially variable based upon where you live. If it is fixed shipping, it would be good to put the fixed amount in the thread title.

And I agree with the above poster that US should be considered the default. I don't think on a US site people should have to check into whether the deal is available to other countries before posting it. But let's not rehash that here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Leech
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:
jonnyalpha wrote:
nickferris wrote:
hatemachine wrote:
Better Title:

Or unwilling.

Yeah, that was kind of my point.

Edit: and I thought BGG was trying to be a truly International site but it appears I was wrong about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddie Foulds
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jonnyalpha wrote:
Edit: and I thought BGG was trying to be a truly International site but it appears I was wrong about that.

Too true - BGG might be based in the US, but it has a broad international community.

As for the whole [US] thing, I don't see why everyone else should put their country into the subject header, but the US users don't have to. It literally takes less then 5 seconds to do and would be simple common courtesy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K
United States
Colorado Springs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonnyalpha wrote:

That's an awfully dramatic statement. BGG does a great job at being an international site, and just because a handful of people don't want to put two letters into a thread subject doesn't make it any less international. In fact, I think that for every person who thinks deals 'default' to the US, you could find a much larger number of people on here who disagree with that (myself included).

And while I don't think it's worth repeating these threads every couple of months, I had an idea that would standardize things. I don't know if it's possible, though (I'm not much of a web-designer). Is it possible to use fields to create a thread title? In other words, if someone clicked 'post', then they be taken to a screen where they'd either manually enter values for fields (name of retailer, price, URL, for example) or select choices with a drop down menu (country, game name, for example). Then they'd click submit, and a thread would be created with {country} {game} for {price} at {retailer} as the subject. Ideally the first post would then contain the URL.

Is that kind of thing even possible?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Racer
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
Specialized Extracurricular Execution Squad
badge
We are living our lives... Abound with so much information... Come on, let go of the remote,
mbmbmbmbmb
djklaus wrote:
jonnyalpha wrote:

That's an awfully dramatic statement. BGG does a great job at being an international site, and just because a handful of people don't want to put two letters into a thread subject doesn't make it any less international. In fact, I think that for every person who thinks deals 'default' to the US, you could find a much larger number of people on here who disagree with that (myself included).

And while I don't think it's worth repeating these threads every couple of months, I had an idea that would standardize things. I don't know if it's possible, though (I'm not much of a web-designer). Is it possible to use fields to create a thread title? In other words, if someone clicked 'post', then they be taken to a screen where they'd either manually enter values for fields (name of retailer, price, URL, for example) or select choices with a drop down menu (country, game name, for example). Then they'd click submit, and a thread would be created with {country} {game} for {price} at {retailer} as the subject. Ideally the first post would then contain the URL.

Is that kind of thing even possible?

As I tell all of my users, "everything is possible with enough time and money". In this instance, however, it isn't likely as they would have to design a number of new tables and an interface separate from their current one just for this task. Now, if 35% of all BBG activity took place in the Hot Deals forum I could see them considering it, but, my guess is that its no where near that level of usage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Jackie McLean - Let Freedom Ring
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think good thread titles are important generally, and I'm pleased to see people thinking about how to improve them in this folder. I apologize if this sounds self-serving, but I can't resist mentioning the program I instituted to address the problem elsewhere: [CLOSED] Campaign to make the rules folders more useful (119 game folders adopted, 807 title changes documented).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Leech
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David, you're right maybe it was a bit dramatic but it keeps getting stated by quite a few that this is an American site and I'm not actually getting at BGG with my statement but at the people who believe that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.