GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,973 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
2 Posts

Pirate Fluxx» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Pirate Fluxx: It's a Plunderful Life [Review] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Scrudder
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pirate Fluxx is the latest Fluxx release by Looney Labs with an MSRP of $16. As with all Fluxx games, it is recommended for 2-6 players ages 8 and up and takes 10-40 minutes to play.

Fluxx is a game of ever-changing rules and goals and Pirate Fluxx has several new wrinkles to add to the series.

Gameplay has a strong focus on stabbing your friends in the back, stealing from them, and gathering as much loot as possible.

The biggest addition is the new card type: Surprise. Surprise allows players to play out of turn for the first time, canceling cards or actions as other players make them, possibly preventing them from winning. Pirate Fluxx comes with a Surprise for each basic card type, and each Surprise has a related effect if played on your own turn.

The set has a lot of strongly interactive cards or variable usages depending upon what other cards are in play. For instance many cards having special rules if the Captain's Hat is in play that its controller is unaffected or gets a bonus.

The set also features two Creepers, cards which prevent you from winning if you have them in play but which can be given to other players or discarded under certain circumstances. These cards are a fun surprise due to the low number of them in the deck. This is a nice change after Zombie Fluxx and Martian Fluxx, each of which had a large number of Creepers.

There is one card which is likely to be removed from my deck for standard play: Talk Like a Pirate. This card gives you a bonus for talking in a funny voice. I enjoy these types of cards, but since I regularly play in public places I usually leave them out. Fortunately, unlike Monty Python Fluxx, there is only one card of this type and it won't break the game if you remove it.

Pirate Fluxx is probably the best balanced of the series for two-player games while remaining extremely fun for multiple players. It is easily picked up by new players and tends to play very quickly. It's a great game for introducing new players or warming up for meatier games. But, as with all short, chaotic games, a regular diet will burn you out fairly quickly.

If you like the Fluxx series, you'll probably enjoy this addition. If you haven't tried Fluxx but like pirate-themed games, then you are likely to enjoy this. If yer a landlubber with no sense of chaos, then ye best be walking the plank!

Trivia: the coins on the Pieces of Eight have the letters "FLXX" for Fluxx and "MCMXCVI" for 1996, the year Fluxx 1.0 was first released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your review. I am really enjoying [=fluxx][/] and now look forward to picking this one up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.