GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,352 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
1 Posts

Hanabi & Ikebana» Forums » Variants

Subject: Hanabi: Play down to 2 cards in a 5 player game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
KAS
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Having now played this with different sized groups, after a few 5 player games, the scores seemed to be a little lower than when we played with 3 or 4. I have not played it enough to see if there really is a significant difference yet, but one thought was that at the end of a 3 or 4 player game, players have 12 cards remaining in their hands (3x4 or 4x3). However, in a 5 player game, there are 15 cards left over in players hands. Although the 3 extra cards may not all have scored additional points, it certainly could make a 1 or 2 point difference.

So, one thought to help maintain more scoring consistency across player counts, was to play down to 2 cards with 5 players. This would still not be a perfect match with 3 or 4 player games since it would result in only 10 cards left in player’s hands (5x2) but would be a bit closer.

However, the other variable that the above does not factor in, is that more total cards are able to be seen in a 5 player game at any time (5x4 = 20 cards vs. 16 (4x4) in a 4p and 15 (3x5) in a 3p). This also highlights the similarities between the 3 & 4 player game and maybe the additional 4 or 5 cards out in a 5p are intended to offset the 3 extras that are left over at the end?

Thoughts?

Now that I am thinking about it, I wonder if a 6 player variant is possible? :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.