GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,365 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Dominion» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Native Villiage / Peddler / Goons combo rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
fake name
msg tools
I'm a somewhat average player, but I think I found a killer combo. I just played a game where the board was the following cards:

Adventurer, Ambassador, Colony, Goons, Island, Monument, Native Village, Navigator, Peddler, Platinum, Smugglers, and Steward

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201103/28/game-2011032...

I didn't find the combo right away. I generally play by the seat of my pants and don't really think much about what I'm doing. I eventually noticed that native villiage was making peddler more affordable and peddler was making goons affordable. Also, mass native villiage let me cycle through the ugliness that is common in a goons deck.

I could have definitely played this better, but the game was over when this combo hit. The guy I was playing is roughly the same skill lvl as me.

Also, I was occasionally able to pull multiple goons out of my native villiage and accrue tons of token points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Neuhaus
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a preference for aggressive early ambassador play with native village and peddler in the set. With NV/ambassador/peddler, you have little need for treasure cards, since you get fake buying power by just playing actions and getting peddlers. So you can get your deck to be really small and capable of playing two ambassadors/turn, keeping one spam card around in your deck (estate/copper/curse) and bloating your opponents deck, while gaining peddlers and increasing your own buying power. You can really have this game effectively won even before a Goons comes out.

But yeah, NV/Peddler/Goons is pretty nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fake name
msg tools
It would be interesting to see what the simulator guys would find with ambassador/NV/Peddler vs NV/Peddler/Goons.

The thing I liked about goons with this is that I was getting an extra buy to pick up extra peddlers and getting lots of vp tokens. I'm not sure that would beat the strategy you're describing because ambassador also keeps the deck trimmed and clogs everyone else's decks.

Thx for your insight

Edit: I don't know what I was thinking... There's nothing on the board that restricts you from going ambassador/NV/Peddler/Goons. That's how I should have played the set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Laufer
United States
Millington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure I'd call it a combo, but it is definitely synergistic. When peddler is in play, you want +actions and +buys, which NV and Goons provide. With Goons around, you want +actions to play multiple goons, which NV provides, and cheap, worthwhile tings to buy with the +buys, which NV and peddler both provide. A real village or worker's village would be even better, probably, though the low price of NV works in its favor.

The thing you're missing that would really make it shine is +cards, though. Getting multiple goons into play can be tough if you just have NV's "+fractional card" to work with, and no top-of-deck manipulation to get the right cards onto the NV mat. (which is why a "proper" village might work better). I don't think Steward is enough +cards to be worth it here. What would be really nice would be a smithy or nobles. Council Room might be good too, since the +buy feeds goons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.