GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,456 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Lady Marian
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've thought of Aye, Dark Overlord! and Dixit, where you have to talk, explain things, and understand what others say. What do you think about them?

Sometimes there are only 5 or 6 of us in class, 10 other days...
I forgot to mention the youngest student is 18, and the oldest is around 50 years old.

Which other games would your recommend for English students (upper-intermediate level)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Chinatown? It includes some free-for-all trading (all players are free to trade at once), where you can trade properties, unplaced businesses and money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Rory's Story Cubes with Dutch and Engligh kids ages between 6 and 10, and it was amazing to see how each understood what the other was saying almost instinctively. Obviously I had to step in and help (I speak both) but it was a real success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to check out Fabula!! I highly recommended it and it suit your purpose very well. It plays from 3 to 8 people and contains a lot of speaking/talking/narrating that sometime irritate me. I swear I'm not going to play it anymore. Plus, not to forget it has amazing artworks and components.

EDIT: Let me add some overview of the gameplay.

Players will be given out fantasy characters (you'll get a thick card stock character with it's plastic stand) so that everyone can see what characters are they playing. One narrator, is going to choose one of the many story (you can get more online) from the book, and read it out loud. Also, narrator will deal few cards to the centre of the table which represent tools/items/stuff. For each story, there will be a respective board with beautiful artwork that depicts the atmosphere of the story, which you will place on the stand so that every players can see it.

When the narrator begins reading, there will be 3 or more moments where the narrator will stop to allow players immediately take the cards on the board to make up a story that usually to answer the questions from the story. A token will be given if the story is relevant or is the best answer to the question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Say Anything should hit the right spot. People would need to read out the questions (picking a question from a short list each time) and the other students would need to write down what they think are good answers. It's a party game so there's usually lots of commentary on funny answers, etc. as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Money
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I've been on a quest for the past year or so on putting together a strong library of games for the adult esl classroom. Here is what I've come up with so far:

Reading/vocabulary classes:

Bananagrams
www.jeopardylabs.com - Online free site, highly recommended

Listening and Speaking:

Dixit
Ultimate Werewolf
Wits and Wagers - there's an online version here but haven't tried it yet
Bohnanza
The Resistance
Taboo - modified rules - learners are allowed to use the list of words on cards to explain the main word

Hope this helps.

cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I´d higly recommend Team Work Original.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Once Upon a Time: The Storytelling Card Game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lady Marian
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the recommendations! I'll take a look to all them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.