Popular Tags: [View All]
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played this yet but I'd like to be able to play with 2 players. The box says 2-4 players but it seems like there would be so little competition for space that it wouldn't be very tense.

I've had some thoughts and I'd like input from experienced players.

1) Only use 2 of the 3 colored Prefectures. This seems like the least likely solution.

2) Play more than the 4 rounds suggested. The problem with this is it takes away the auction phase as well.

3) Give each player more cards to start with and maybe more on his turn. This give you the chance to build more and fill up the board.

Any comments on these suggestions or other ideas which have been tried, will be appreciated greatly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Baumer
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Input for 2-player ideas
You are right in that the 2 player game needs a variant, since getting 2nd place is ludicriously simple (rendering fountains useless).

A varient we liked (but only tried once yet!) is to have an artificial 3rd player at the beginning of the game: Using a 3rd color, place the following buildings:

red regions, no fountains (2 regions): a two story building, one with a round, the other region with a traingular.
white and black, no fountains (2): same
red, 2 fountains: 4-story, triangular roof
black and white, 1 fountain: 3-story, round foofs in both regions.
(i.e. one building in each of the 9 regions).

That way, 2nd place is harder to get, and makes fountains interesting again.

Sven. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Sack (#485500),Thanks, Sven. This sounds sensible to me and something I wouldn't have thought of. I'll give it a try as soon as I can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jody Ludwick
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
sodaklady (#485258),

First off, we haven't played a 2-player game yet.

I don't much care for the 'shadow/third party' 2-player variants in general. I would therefore make the following modifications:

a) Maintain a single color to each player with the use of all three colored territories.

b) Add two more rounds, obviously w/o the blind bidding to continue vying for majority rule.

c) As for the effects offered by the Fountains, Amphitheaters and Temples, simply score ONLY for the current majority holder.

It would be interesting to see what others come up with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Santos
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I let this game sit for quite a while before playing it at all because the 2 player game seemed to be unsuited. I was wrong! Try playing with the rules as-is. My girlfriend urged me to try the rules unadulterated and she had a good instinct on this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Baumer
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tsantos wrote:
I let this game sit for quite a while before playing it at all because the 2 player game seemed to be unsuited. I was wrong! Try playing with the rules as-is. My girlfriend urged me to try the rules unadulterated and she had a good instinct on this one.

The best strategy in this case is to build 1 story buildings in all the districts as soon as possible (something that will have you finish dead last in a 3 or 4 p game).

You do get a nice, close game; however it is an extremely different experience than multiplayer! (fountains are useless, too)

Sven. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.