Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Cavaliere
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been hearing about TTR for a long time and have also been anxious to play it. I understood that it was simple to learn and yet could hold the interest of all different levels of gamers. I found it to do just that.
Our family plays a LOT of games - every weekend a good run of 4-8 games on either Sat. or Sun. (Settlers, Carcassones, Bohnanza, etc.) Now I have a feeling we've added Ticket to Ride to the list.
The initiation of the rules and attention span it requires held most everyone's attention and set us off to a good start without too much confusion. We decided right away to hold off all scoring until the game ended - a good idea I think. Only one question came up - if you draw and get a Locomotive, can you draw again. After checking the rules it seems this is okay (I later checked BGG articles and found additional info saying this is allowed). So, an overall first impression of rule clarity and the ability for them to be easily understood by all right away, is a good one. I don't think there is much else to clarify on them - simple and straightforward.
As the game got going it was easy for everyone to see what some of the short and long term goals were. A little uncertainty was felt by those who got the large Destination Tickets, but overall the basic gameplay was understood and being executed right away.
Mid game you could see some strategy start to develop - some cut offs here or there, and some Destination Tickets were bought as some were completed. For the most part, everyone was into it and the game was moving along.
Towards the end game a little more strategy came into play but not much changed at this point. I think the next time we play there will be a little more defensive play as well as a more aggressive run for completing destinations.
Overall I think we all picked up on the game easily and found that it does have potential for some additonal challenge and fun as we play it more. I don't think it quite ranks up there for us with our Carcassone & Settlers popularity (and re-play-ability that we give those) but it does have a nice feel to have as a 2nd or 3rd pick for the day. If you're looking for a game that is light and yet has some challenge, but can also appeal a little to serious gamers, this is a good choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.