GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,948 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Witch's Brew or Citadels? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Both have the hidden selection mechanic. For the record, Mission Red Planet isn't in the running for my purposes, but I'm going to do a poll with that in consideration---because I think that would be informative.

Poll
1. With 4 players, Witch's Brew or Citadels?
Witch's Brew
Citadels
2. With 4 players, Citadels, Witch's Brew, or Mission Red Planet
Citadels
Witch's Brew
Mission Red Planet
3. With 6 players, Witch's Brew with an extra artscow deck, or Citadels?
Witch's Brew with an extra artscow deck.
Citadels
Witch's Brew with an extra artscow deck sure sounds cool, at least.
      65 answers
Poll created by bippi

Poll
1. Which is easier to teach to nongamers?
Witch's Brew
Citadels
2. Which plays better with gamers (without excessive overthink and analysis)?
Witch's brew
Citadels
      51 answers
Poll created by bippi

Poll
Artscow or treasure chest for the 6th player?
Either
Artscow
Treasure Chest
      42 answers
Poll created by bippi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick PA
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they are both (or should I say all three) very nice games.
We usually have analysis problems when playing citadels which shouldn't be necessary, but that is just general feeling.

I though think that Citadels is a better game at 4 players, Witch's Brew first gets really fun when playing with 5 or 6 players! But then it can be really awesome!

Mission: Red Planet is another really good game, it lies in the middle of these two being somewhat more strategic but still fun, i think that one improve on some aspects of the game but it really serves the intention of being fun and easy to play!

All great games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Zerothi wrote:

Mission: Red Planet is another really good game, it lies in the middle of these two being somewhat more strategic but still fun, i think that one improve on some aspects of the game but it really serves the intention of being fun and easy to play!

I had nothing against Mission: Red Planet for the sake of excluding it, other than I'm rounding-out an order/wishlist and I already own it.

I hear legends about the analysis paralysis that comes out in people at times in playing Citadels. The worst part is that while a little analysis is warranted, anything beyond 30 seconds of thought is just an exercise in futility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick PA
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bippi wrote:
... anything beyond 30 seconds of thought is just an exercise in futility.
And especially in Citadels where the analysis always comes down to:
General Citadels thinking wrote:
Will the next player take card X or will he take card Y in order to trick me? Or will he take card Z which is just random....
Hmmm..... Let me think that through one more time...
ARRHHHHGG! I freaking don't know!
Ok, be sound... Lets go over it again...
Will the next player take card X or will he take card Y in order to trick me? Or will he take card Z which is just random....
Hmmm..... Let me think that through one more time...
ARRHHHHGG! I freaking don't know!
... etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Normally I feel stupid saying, "which is better" for games---usually the average ratings are dead-on for answering that question, but in this case witch's brew rates an average BGG score of 7.03 compared to Citadel's 7.20.

However, one is clearly kicking the other's ass on the polls here, 20 votes in.

Strange stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy Citadels, but can't stand dealing with people over-thinking the drafting, especially because they each have to spend their own 5 minutes while the rest of us sit and do nothing. At least in Mission Red Planet, all the time-wasting is done simultaneously. Definitely the worst part of Citadels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Without having played Witch's Brew, but owning Citadels, I can definitely say that it does take a LONG time if you've got fellow players with AP. I tend to get that way, too, but sometimes it takes forever for people to select characters to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
plasma wrote:
Without having played Witch's Brew, but owning Citadels, I can definitely say that it does take a LONG time if you've got fellow players with AP. I tend to get that way, too, but sometimes it takes forever for people to select characters to play.

What I really like about having done this poll is it made me realize... quite often I introduce a game to a few folks. With this type of game, especially, you would like to have 4-6 players.

When you have 4-6 players, the likelyhood of introducing this game to 2-3 in that session is pretty high. This wouldn't be bad, but you hand a stack of character cards around:

a) They aren't going to see all the characters available during the course of the game unless somehow they go first.
b) They're going to have to read through each one in the deck. "What's this guy do? Nope. What's this guy do? Nope." so before they even have time to analyze what they might want to do, they have to know what their options are.
c) To really even understand what these character cards really do or their usefulness, having played the game once or twice is almost essential.
d) I have 'revengeisnotjustice' geekbuddied, and she brought up a point... you're going to get your clock cleaned by the experienced folks that know that it isn't entirely random what to pick, for the first 4-5 turns. It's really hard to see the goal in citadels as well as the other games (Red Planet and Witch's Brew). While you're getting your butt kicked, you really don't have a clue about what you're doing right and wrong until 3/4ths of the way through the first game. It's very frustrating for new players.

EDIT: It's one thing to get your clock cleaned but still feel like you have a grasp on what's going on so you can enjoy witnessing your clock cleaning, but in citadels, it takes at least a game to see what's happening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Witch's Brew is the better game. But why buy an artwcow deck when the expansion sells for $2-5 in the marketplace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zubbus O'Really
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And while 5 is definitely better than 3 or 4 for WB, I'm not so sure I'm THAT desperate to play 6 players, as it will surely take longer, maybe a lot.

And it's interesting to see more people here prefer Citadel in 6 players. Those I know all seem to think Citadel can take really long with the larger number of players (although that is not the same thing as saying it's not as good, but we all still need to factor into how much bang we get out of our time).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played both a bunch. I prefer Witch's Brew and so does every person to whom I've introduced them both. That's not to say Citadels doesn't have its place. It's probably just a bit more of a rare occasion.

I recommend Witch's Brew.

EDIT: Grammar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Weed
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
how sweet the sound...
badge
Fear The Hat !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a fan of Witch's Brew, but I think Citadels scales well for any number 2-7

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.