GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,575 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: Best small board method? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Elder
msg tools
badge
You can get linen paper but as a speciality item it is more expensive. You can also buy painter's canvas, fine art canvas and even fabrics designed for attachment to clothes. Textured papers will cost more and when printing can look funny: being sprayed on, not pressed, the ink won't always penetrate to the lower areas of the paper. Make sure any paper you buy includes a note that it is designed for inkjets.

Covering your boards with plastic negates a lot of the point of using a gloss paper and all point in using a textured paper. Print an image on plain stock and cover half of it, do they same thing with gloss photo stock. You'll find that the colours (probably; they oughtn't) don't look as good on plain as gloss though the plain will gain a gloss or semi-gloss reflection, the latter of which can be quite pleasing but there is going to be glare under many lighting conditions. (You're substituting a deal of the reflection of the plastic for that of the paper and ink.) Gloss paper under plastic just gains glare and annoying specular reflections. Look at a photo or a poster that has been laminated. Coating a paper as you suggest will kill any tactile sensation of texture and, even if firm pressure is applied, you'll almost certainly end up with what equate to trapped bubbles of air due to the highs and lows and that is unsightly.

You can spray paper, carefully so not to saturate the paper and cause it to wrinkle, with ordinary wood lacquers (matte or semi-gloss), hairspray or, if there's an art store handy, picture varnish. What you'd be after is called a fixative. You'd want one for drawing or watercolour, not for oil painting.

The advantage to using self-adhesive paper is that you don't have to apply any adhesive. It's less messy and it means you can peel a little of the backing at the time.

Spray adhesive is a good choice otherwise, so long as you don't saturate the paper and have ample space to spray. Remember that when you spray your printed sheet you'll also be spraying your drop sheet which will then be covered with glue, right in the area you're going to be putting your next sheet. With a picture of a little baby, a flag for a Norse country, and this time of year you'll want a big house as the glues spray a solvent of course. I've also used glues that come in bottles with a wide nozzle though with an ordinary opening, designed to allow you to spread the glue. I'm not fond of these for plain paper as they are too easy to saturate the paper with.

Do use this really good idea: line up your paper and board, tape one edge as a hinge, then glue. It makes lining up a lot easier. Also, use a tool with a flat dull edge to press the two surface together. (I think I learnt that off some her on the geek. If some one knows, please credit the user)

Trimming with a metal ruler and craft knife is fine but bear in mind that 2 mm is quite thick. Be very careful, use a cutting mat and, while you do want to get straight edges and you'll be tempted to hold the knife edge against the ruler edge you can actually end up cutting your ruler. (It will probably be made of a softer metal.) Hold the flat of the knife against the ruler edge. There will be a small gap between the cut and ruler, a fraction of a mm. A ruler that has a finger rest (a trough down the middle) affords some extra comfort (but not much protection) and a rubber or cork base prevents some slippage.

If your board is a little smaller than your paper you could conceivably wrap some paper over the edges but this will be harder/nigh impossible with stiffer paper like photo stock.

If I were doing something and wanted it to look quite nice and not be messy I would be inclined to consider:
Self-adhesive semi-gloss photo stock on 2mm mounting board.
You can also get self adhesive mounting board, otherwise use spray adhesive. You might wish to use an art paper or even the fabric paper (but I've never even handled it so I couldn't say).

But I would also consider how my player board was going to look compared to the original product and, due to reflection, where the light was coming from. In the evenings with overhead lighting the glare off a horizontal board would preclude me from covering anything and I might consider a matt lacquer.

A final note is on printers and ink. For the cost of high quality ink versus the cost of printing another photo later (several years later) it may be more cost effective to use less expensive ink and reprint later, especially if they're in an album and protected from fading. A printer where the paper feeds in from the rear and is ejected form the front means stiffer paper can go through with less worry about jamming (as it doesn't have to be bend so extremely). Canon MP series a few years ago were like this. I haven't checked recently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kollross
Canada
Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
I'm a member of the Game Artisans of Canada
mbmbmbmbmb
I print full page labels, stick them to chipboard, run them through my Xyron and then trim to size. Decent enough quality and easy enough to make.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

My standard option:

Get some self-adhesive vinyl floor tile, preferably with lighter or white adhesive, not black. Much preferably.

Print on standard paper. Stick it on the back of the tile. Cover with clear contact paper. Roll everything smooth. Cut to size with scissors (preferably cheap scissors, cutting through vinyl tile will stretch and ruin the scissors over time).

This is cheap, easy, require no special equipment or supplies, and gives very good results. If you go with chipboard, library tape, linen paper, and spray adhesive you can get better looking results, but with additional effort and there's nothing protecting the linen finish from finger prints and scuffing.

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Nasipak
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I did for my Power Grid: Atolla Modulus tiles:

1. Print on 67# linen "Resume Cover Stock" ($14 for 100 sheets)
2. Use spray adhesive to glue down to 110# cardstock ($4/150 sheets)
3. Repeat step 2, for double the thickness
4. Cut tile out
5. Spray with semi-gloss acrylic sealant

Results are very sturdy and quite nice. If I had a decent source for chipboard I'd probably use it, but I don't at this time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kollross
Canada
Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
I'm a member of the Game Artisans of Canada
mbmbmbmbmb
ecs05norway wrote:

4. Cut tile out

Results are very sturdy and quite nice. If I had a decent source for chipboard I'd probably use it, but I don't at this time.

Google Eska or book board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ecs05norway wrote:

4. Cut tile out

You can get chipboard online via Dick Blick...it's pretty reasonable cost wise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Nasipak
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Enh. I'm gonna try one of the local comic shops for backing boards, first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Find a comic store which sells magazine size backing boards, because they are the most versatile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.