GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,524 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Stronghold» Forums » Rules

Subject: Guard House rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ricky Gray
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi. When the Defender pays the 3 hourglasses to use the Guard House to get rid of any Saboteurs, can he remove ANY unit from the Stronghold, or does it have to be the one that is currently occupying the Guard House?

Thanks,
Ricky
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Sauer
United States
Willow Street
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Preacher wrote:
Hi. When the Defender pays the 3 hourglasses to use the Guard House to get rid of any Saboteurs, can he remove ANY unit from the Stronghold, or does it have to be the one that is currently occupying the Guard House?

Thanks,
Ricky

Page 10: Guards: "...the Defender may assign a Unit from the Guards to remove all Saboteurs from the Stronghold."

Two lines below, under "Notes:":

-- A Unit must be in the Guards Building for this Action to be available.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Gray
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Phil. Thanks for the response.

However, I read that reference when playing. All it says is that A unit has to be in the Guard House for the Action to be available. It does not specify that the unit in the Guard House has to be THE removed unit.

Nor do the rules state that the Defender removes a unit from the Guard House. It only says from the "Guards."

Additionally, the rule states: "Cost: 3 Hourglasses + any 1 Defending Unit" which lends weight to the possibility that it can be ANY unit in the SH, as long as there is one present in the GH.

See what I'm saying?

Of course, I may be picking nits here. But it does make a difference. If I can remove any unit (assuming the GH is occupied, of course), then that makes it much easier to use the action because I do not have to keep re-occupying the GH.

Thanks!
Ricky
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Sauer
United States
Willow Street
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, yes... I do see what you're saying, my apologies.

Basically the guy that tracks down the Saboteurs winds up dying for the cause. In order to activate that, you have to have active Guards. The phrase, "...the Defender may assign a Unit from the Guards to remove all Saboteurs from the Stronghold." implies they come from those guards, not just anywhere. The guard goes into the supply thereafter.

EDIT: This is the purpose of the guards... their job is to track the Saboteurs down and by doing so, they get killed in the process. This diverts resources from other areas of the defense of the Stronghold.

You're certainly not picking nits. It's a legitimate question.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Gray
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm. So are you saying that it must be the unit in the Guard House that is removed? I have no problem with that (in fact, as the Invader I would appreciate it more!), but simply want to make sure I'm playing it correctly.

There is only one space in the Guard House for a unit. Thus, the phrase "assign A unit from the Guards..." is a bit confusing. If it is meant that only the unit in the GH can be removed for purposes of this action, then it should read "assign THE unit from the Guards..."

Thanks,
Ricky


aaxiom wrote:
Ah, yes... I do see what you're saying, my apologies.

Basically the guy that tracks down the Saboteurs winds up dying for the cause. In order to activate that, you have to have active Guards. The phrase, "...the Defender may assign a Unit from the Guards to remove all Saboteurs from the Stronghold." implies they come from those guards, not just anywhere. The guard goes into the supply thereafter.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Chipman
United States
Zephyrhills
Florida
flag msg tools
Preacher wrote:

However, I read that reference when playing. All it says is that A unit has to be in the Guard House for the Action to be available. It does not specify that the unit in the Guard House has to be THE removed unit.

Nor do the rules state that the Defender removes a unit from the Guard House. It only says from the "Guards."

Additionally, the rule states: "Cost: 3 Hourglasses + any 1 Defending Unit" which lends weight to the possibility that it can be ANY unit in the SH, as long as there is one present in the GH.


There is no "guard" unit type, only Marksmen, Soldiers, and Veterans. Any of the unit types may occupy the guard house to assume the roll of a "guard."

The rules specify that "the Defender may assign a Unit from the Guards" to remove saboteurs. This unit can be any of the unit types (marksman, soldier, or veteran) that have currently been assigned the role of "guard" by virtue of having been placed into the guard house. Therefore, the "Cost: 3 Hourglasses + any 1 Defending Unit" does not mean that you may pick any defending unit in the stronghold, only that you may pick any unit that has been assigned the roll of guard.

Edit: ninja'd again ...
2 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Gray
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Aha. That's it. Thanks Thomas (and Phil)!

Ricky
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Sauer
United States
Willow Street
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Preacher wrote:
Aha. That's it. Thanks Thomas (and Phil)!

Ricky

No problem, Ricky... this is a game of trade-offs. Resources sent to achieve some benefit typically detract from other areas, creating a shortage of benefit. When the game is viewed in those terms, many of these issues make sense... and quite thematically, I'll add.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Gray
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You are spot on about the strong thematic elements in this game. It all really seems to work with the siege theme. I've only played once (last Fri), but cannot stop scheming and thinking about my next go 'round. Should be able to get in another play (or two!) tomorrow night. It may even be 3-player this time.

Thanks again!
Ricky
1 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.