GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,144 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Mansions of Madness» Forums » Variants

Subject: Variant for Monster specific movement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicola Zee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There has been a few comments that movement of the monsters is very generic. So, I've come up with a variant. To be honest I've not tried this one out so its more of a tentative suggestion (and it's likely to make the Keeper's game harder).

All Monsters still move 2 spaces. Zombies and Shoggoths have problems with Locked doors.

1. A Zombie can't move through a Locked door unless there is a Monster (who is not a Zombie or Shoggoth) next to the door.

2. If a Shoggoth moves into a room with a Lock card the card is removed from play.

The Keeper has a new Keeper Action Card which costs 1 threat called 'Open Sesame'. If played all Zombies and Shoggoths can move freely through Locked doors for a complete turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuckhazard
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
I'm FREEeeee..ee..e..e...
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting idea, its not zombies and shoggoths I have problems with though, its hounds (teleport), cthonians (burrow) and mi-go (flying).

Shoggoth, thematically, can go where they like, being amorphous blobs of gunk. zombies, culties, witches... not sure why they get a free pass going through doors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
chuckhazard wrote:
Interesting idea, its not zombies and shoggoths I have problems with though, its hounds (teleport), cthonians (burrow) and mi-go (flying).

Shoggoth, thematically, can go where they like, being amorphous blobs of gunk. zombies, culties, witches... not sure why they get a free pass going through doors.

How about a set of cards that describe special abilities for each of the different types of monsters?

Witches can phase-shift through the door, zombies have never had a problem getting past doors in my experience, and presumably cultists have the key.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Mawson
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For human/humanoid monsters they would be able to pass thru doors because it would be assumed they know the combination, have a key, etc.

Shoggoths can ooze thru the smallest of spaces.

Hounds I just assumed they are teleporting beyond locked doors as necessary, though it would be nice if they were able to use their ability to move more than the usual two spaces. That said I'm not sure if their 'teleport' ability is actually just how they first appear when they time travel (they come from 100's of millions of years in earth's past), so once they arrive in a time period they move around in a 'normal' physical way.

Mi-Go should work the same as Humans as they are able to stand upright and often impersonate humans, adopting disguises and masks (obviously not very good disguises in good lighting or close-up). But they would be able to move around normally. As for flying, they could only really do that in the outdoor locations, which if that was the case I would again assume that is how they move the two spaces if they wanted. Of course if there were two outdoor area tiles that were not adjacent (e.g. opposite sides of the house) then they should be able to fly between them.

As mentioned, the biggest problem are the cthonians who move by burrowing underground, but are quite clumsy when on the surface. These beasties would surely wreck the place in moments burrowing up and down all over the place. This is the one monster up to now that really bugs me with placement and movement. They should somehow be restricted to outside/underground/ground floor areas. Perhaps they should leave wreckage and rubble behind in areas they have travelled thru, which impedes the movement of investigators. As much as I like the cthonians, I think they were a bad choice to include in the game unless used as somekind of 'boss' creature. Plus, these must be quite young as adult cthonians are MUCH bigger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Nyogtha wrote:
As much as I like the cthonians, I think they were a bad choice to include in the game unless used as somekind of 'boss' creature. Plus, these must be quite young as adult cthonians are MUCH bigger.

The chthonian only appears in one scenario, and this is exactly how it is used (including the "young" part).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.